cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford F-250 Brake Controller Install

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I have a 2022 Ford F-250 and a Jayco trailer with electric brakes. I've been researching electric brakes for trailers and the brake controllers. The consensus here seems to be that Original Equipment is preferable to after market controllers. I agree at this point. I called my selling dealer's service department and they said they don't do that and I should call Joe's Trailer (not the real name). I called my salesman and he was too busy doing his taxes to help. True story. I checked another Ford dealer here and they want $600 to install it. Just terrible service all over for Ford.

I found an original controller from a Ford dealer on eBay for $240. I found another that looks almost identical, but it's a little different in shape of the knobs for only $60. I see videos of how to install it. I think I can install it, if the harness is there when I open it up. I'm not sure I can get the dash back together perfect. And I don't know how to program the computer to get the truck to recognize the controller. Do you think a local mechanic can program the Ford computer? I'm thinking of buying one of the controllers on eBay. Would you buy the more expensive one from the Ford dealer? I'm thinking I could take it apart, hook it up, try to put the dash back together then get a local mechanic to program the computer and help clean up the dash, if I don't get it all correct.

Suggestions?

Update: I'm leaning towards buying the $240 Ford part, installing it myself, then asking the local dealer service shop how much they charge to set the program. If it's $100 or less I'll pay them. If not, I may check the local shops. I think the $240 model may be a proportional controller and the $60 versions may be time delayed controllers. I notice on eTrailer that's about the price range for those controllers and I want a proportional controller.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV
23 REPLIES 23

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ford SuperDuty brochure, not recent, but back in mid teen models, when I bought my F250 new, shows all models, starting at XLT level, and up, come standard with the IBC. The only XL model with standard IBC is the DRW.

Doesn't make sense, as the XL model would likely be considered a work truck, in the 250/SRW, which normally includes towing a trailer of some sort.

I'm sure most dealers/sales managers, would be smart enough to add the IBC for their lot trucks, in the XL work models. For the small added cost, it would help sell the trucks.

Things like heavy duty service suspension, when I ordered mine was $125. The camper package was $160. The FW prep kit was $400 including the extra 7 wire plug in the box. Buying any of these parts, adding later $$$$.

Hope all goes well for the OP's IBC install/flash.

Jerry

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
StirCrazy wrote:
oh I think ford would love to have forscan shut down but hey haha.. I have been using if for about 5 years now... can't change anything in the engine control module so you can't tune with it but you can turn on off in almost any other controls.

If it's not an official Ford thing, they should be able to get it shut down easily as they own the software. You only own a license to use it while you own the truck. This is what these "right to repair" nutjobs don't get. I'm an IT guy, and I understand software licensing.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^So Forscan is an after market software?
Haven’t been a Ford guy for a while so not up on their stuff. I thought it was the name of the FoMoCo proprietary software.
Makes more sense that it’s not FoMoCo owned if it’s available to the general public for free. (Although how they make any money if it’s free?)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Grit dog wrote:
^Well that’s awesome that FoMoCo allows the consumer to access the software previously reserved for dealer services.
Hard to believe they’ll allow all the available configuration changes that “can” be made but don’t necessarily conform to any or all local or national regulations.
Seems a liability if they’re allowing things like changing tpms thresholds, drls, fog light activation, stationary dpf regens, imperial to metric gauges, etc, to name a few.
But if that’s the case, that’s HUGE for the diy type Ford owners!

On another note, the lack of ITBCs in Covid era trucks could be due to supply chain issues I wonder? As it was definitely not the norm to see any HD pickups especially those apparently specifically equipped to tow heavy, like the previous example, without ITBCs.

oh I think ford would love to have forscan shut down but hey haha.. I have been using if for about 5 years now... can't change anything in the engine control module so you can't tune with it but you can turn on off in almost any other controls.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Well that’s awesome that FoMoCo allows the consumer to access the software previously reserved for dealer services.
Hard to believe they’ll allow all the available configuration changes that “can” be made but don’t necessarily conform to any or all local or national regulations.
Seems a liability if they’re allowing things like changing tpms thresholds, drls, fog light activation, stationary dpf regens, imperial to metric gauges, etc, to name a few.
But if that’s the case, that’s HUGE for the diy type Ford owners!

On another note, the lack of ITBCs in Covid era trucks could be due to supply chain issues I wonder? As it was definitely not the norm to see any HD pickups especially those apparently specifically equipped to tow heavy, like the previous example, without ITBCs.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
HUGE FORSCAN sticky on the F150 forum.
Yes, it’s a FREE license that you apply for, good for a set period but can be renewed. You need an OBD adapter than runs under $30 on Amazon and a Windows laptop or Apple with a Windows emulator. Then you can change ANYTHING computer controlled on you Ford truck.
Many on the F150 forum who bought the cheap ITBCs off eBay had problems with them.
Using a factory ITBC instead of a prodigy or similar integrates the controller with your digital dash displays and controls and tracks each trailer, mileage, brake settings, ect., even checks the trailer lights.

That price for the dealer supplied TBC and install costs is reasonable, especially for what we have invested in our trucks. Go for it. Plus it’s covered for 12 months warranty as a factory part.

Key in glovebox COULD be for the BoxLink removable bed tie downs.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^If there’s empty pins in the adapter then I stand corrected and wouldn’t take your bet! Lol
But I’ll pay up anyway! Lol.
Guess I haven’t messed with any of the numerous new trucks I’ve had since IBCs became options. Because they’ve all had the IBC option. From bare bones strippers to fully optioned trucks.
Makes sense what you say though since the source and load home runs are the same whether add on or IBC.

I’m a bit particular as well. I’m also cheap and would prolly do it the same as you. Whereas I was trying to provide the OP another option that would be less costly and a super easy diy if he felt inclined.
Aftermarket quality brake controller and 4 simple butt connections on wires that are already labored and color coded is not necessarily easier than an IBC install but removes the part of the equation where he was admittedly susceptible to buying a knockoff part and then getting bent over to have the stealer install and/or program it.

Cheers!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yup..that's the adapter for aftermarket.

Grit...we know the OP is using the IBC module. While I can't say for certain either, that the adapter connects to same point, I'd bet an Andy Jack that it does. From experience, I've noticed comparing adapter plug to OEM connection, that the adapter has empty pin slots, but mates/works as designed.

^If I'm wrong, I'll pay double, but you'll have to come here to collect.

Anyway, OP...I am a fussy guy with my new stuff. I would install that module in the dash myself, then let dealer flash. SB, $100 or less. I don't worry about cost, most times, but my concern is, did the tech put my dash back together correctly, did he strip a screw clip, using his power ratchet, will my dash rattle from not being tight enough, screw missing (that he couldn't find)?

Lol...that's just me though! Issues? maybe 🙂

Jerry

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
The top one is the adapter plug to make an aftermarket brake controller plug n play.
It’s not likely the same location where the OE one plugs in (speculating here since it’s just the typical 4 wire setup).

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
MFL wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
^So you’re saying the new Fords that don’t come with an IBC don’t come with an adapter and are no longer plug and play?
That’s horrible. Installing a brake controller in every brand of truck for the last 20+ years has been a snap.

My recommendation was considering that the OP does not appear equipped to do any sort of moderately involved work. And traditionally, adding an aftermarket brake controller was about as easy as falling off a log with no calks.

Not what I'm saying, didn't mean to stutter.

To clarify...IDK if OPs truck came with the OEM adapter, but I think it is likely. The OP would have to do same dash disassembly with either BC, in order to access the OEM port/plug. While the IBC module/controller attaches right to the waiting plug, the P3 would require using the Ford adapter, which will likely be 4 simple splices to the P3.

The IBC just pushes into opening, snaps in, done. The P3 needs locating best spot, drill a couple holes, keeping level side/side. Either install easy, but the IBC, just a bit easier, other than going to dealer for flash.

OP said cost not an issue. Personally, I would always spend more for factory setup, that comes with some advantages.

Jerry

Here is a photo of what was in my glove box. I also see a key which may be for the spare tire. If it is, I want to make a copy, quick. I just need to find a few minutes to look in the manual. As for the brake controller, I bought the factory version Friday from a dealer. I set up an appointment for Monday to get it installed.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
^So you’re saying the new Fords that don’t come with an IBC don’t come with an adapter and are no longer plug and play?
That’s horrible. Installing a brake controller in every brand of truck for the last 20+ years has been a snap.

My recommendation was considering that the OP does not appear equipped to do any sort of moderately involved work. And traditionally, adding an aftermarket brake controller was about as easy as falling off a log with no calks.

Not what I'm saying, didn't mean to stutter.

To clarify...IDK if OPs truck came with the OEM adapter, but I think it is likely. The OP would have to do same dash disassembly with either BC, in order to access the OEM port/plug. While the IBC module/controller attaches right to the waiting plug, the P3 would require using the Ford adapter, which will likely be 4 simple splices to the P3.

The IBC just pushes into opening, snaps in, done. The P3 needs locating best spot, drill a couple holes, keeping level side/side. Either install easy, but the IBC, just a bit easier, other than going to dealer for flash.

OP said cost not an issue. Personally, I would always spend more for factory setup, that comes with some advantages.

Jerry

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
My 21 F350 is capable of towing 18,000 lbs, but like Steve’s, didn’t come with a brake controller. Dealer wanted $300 for the controller and $100 to install. Bought a $40 Ebay and had the dealer install for the $100. Works well.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Groover wrote:
The factory controller has the ability to access vehicle stability information and take steps to control an unstable trailer. That could be a life saver.

You need to be aware that the factor controller (at least in my 2016) model turns off the brakes below about 3mph, presumably to prevent burning up the brake actuators. There will be times that you don't want that to happen and you should keep a hand on the manual override. Example: coming down a steep gravel drive and trying to make a sharp turn onto a gravel road. I nearly got pushed off the side of a mountain once. It took me a while to figure out why. Any stop on a steep hill while towing heavy can be a challenge. In my case I am towing a trailer about twice as heavy as the truck.

Good info, concerning the OEM IBC no longer braking as you approach a full stop. I do think mine stops braking at more like 6-8 mph, rather than 3 mph. Good that the OP understands this, does not think his is not working correctly.

I also use the manual levers at times, slowing to stop, just saves a little on truck brakes, but not truly necessary, especially with trailers under 10K.

Jerry

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for all the replies. Or almost all of the replies. 🙂

I called my local Ford dealer and they had the part in stock. It cost me $223 plus tax, which was a little cheaper than eBay. I then walked over to service and they said they will install and program it for $275. I made an appointment for a week from now. I may take a look at opening up the dashboard and install it. But I would still need to pay someone to activate it. I don't think I would mess with the computer myself, although I have read about the Forscan program. Maybe if there's a video that shows me how easy it is to do the Forscan adjustment, I might change my mind. They would probably charge me $100 to program the computer so for an extra $175 I may just pay them to save me the work and risk of messing it up. It looks like I'm going to die with money in the bank anyway.

The reason I said that OEM seems to be preferable over after market even though I have no experience to back up my opinion is because I read another thread in this forum while doing research and it seemed that was the majority opinion in that thread. Add to that the fact that most after market controllers need to drill holes into the dash board and my vote is to go with the original control which mounts seamlessly into the dashboard.