'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
23 REPLIES 23

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
GeoBoy wrote:
Drag racing with a travel trailer, stupidly abounds.

I feel the same way about NASCAR, but hey, to each their own.

I stopped watching NASCAR back in the 90's

As did I.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ShinerBock wrote:
GeoBoy wrote:

I stopped watching NASCAR back in the 90's
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was fine with the tests......until they launched it under boost with the trailer and tune! What did they think wouldโ€™ve happened there!
And 5star has a great reputation for their tunes.

Another thing, that little 2.7 is a beast! However under a load for sustained periods will definitely kill the longevity of the engine!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:

2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of very important information missing for an apples to apples comparison. Very typical of testing done my Fast Lane Truck.

First and most import when doing a 0-60 test and that is what rear end ratio was in each truck.

For 0-60 the higher numerical rear gear the better the 0-60 performance will be. By that I mean a 4.10 gear will perform better than a 3.32 gear.

I counted three shifts on the 2.7 engine and possibly two shifts on the 5.0 engine. both had a ten speed auto. Thus I suspect the 2.7 had a much higher numerical gear than the 5.0 and possibly than the 3.5.

As for real world going up a 5 mile 7 percent grade the rear gear ratio is not as important with a ten speed transmission. The transmission will probably find a similar over all ratio with most of the available rear end ratios at speeds that we tow up 7 percent grades.

Another thing was the octane rating of the fuel used. I think 87 was used in the 5.0 and 93 in the 2.7. Where I am now 93 octane is about 12 percent more than 87 octane.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
GeoBoy wrote:

Even though it was at a dragstrip, it really wasn't drag racing, just a 0-60 towing test. I'm still a little shocked that the little 2.7 smoked the other trucks until it broke.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Drag racing with a travel trailer, stupidly abounds.:S

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
I think that would be an awesome new sport. RV drag racing. Make the track go up a 7% grade. lol

Used to be a track in a town north of me that would have a annual oval race pulling trailers around the track.

Never did get to see it and the track has since closed (I think).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnnOnZNoMwI
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
There is one absolute when you spend much time on the quarter mile. You WILL break stuff. It is not an indictment of a part or product. Anyone that suggests otherwise has not spent any time testing the limits of their vehicle.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
I think that would be an awesome new sport. RV drag racing. Make the track go up a 7% grade. lol

Back in the day, it is not uncommon for the diesel truck used at the track on Friday night, would also be the same one used to tow the hay trailer on Saturday, the family to church on Sunday, and your a$$ to work on Monday.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
gmckenzie wrote:
Lessmore wrote:
As any old hot rodder will tell you, the key to durability in a souped up engine is to also make sure the rest of your drive train is beefed up to handle the extra ponies...and while your at it...improve the cooling, brakes, suspension.

You boost the power...you boost the breakage potential. Think Will Rogers said that. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Mind you, breaking u-joints is a lot cheaper than breaking the tranny or diff/axle.

Quite true..a u joint is like a mechanical fuse. Reminds me when I was at the drags a couple of years ago. A late '60's Chevelle with a supercharged 454, pulled up to the line. It had huge slicks on the rear wheels and the driver attempted to launch at a fairly high rpm.

You guessed it..Bang ! Another U joint bit the dust.

Case of too much power and too much traction...something had to fail, in this case the weakest link.

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
Lessmore wrote:
As any old hot rodder will tell you, the key to durability in a souped up engine is to also make sure the rest of your drive train is beefed up to handle the extra ponies...and while your at it...improve the cooling, brakes, suspension.

You boost the power...you boost the breakage potential. Think Will Rogers said that. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Mind you, breaking u-joints is a lot cheaper than breaking the tranny or diff/axle.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II