cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford F250 2003 Truck Camper Choice

phurley
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Ford F250 that is paid off and would like to use with a truck camper. I have been using it with a TT.

It's specifications are 4x2 Crew Cab Wheelbase 156.2" GVWR 8,800 Maximum Cargo 2,080

I am looking for something that has a slide. Is that possible with my maximum cargo at 2,080?
2007 Rockwood 2601
2003 Niagara
Ford F250
19 REPLIES 19

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:
Rexsname wrote:
After doing quite a bit of intraweb research...... We have an appointment to install new wheels and tires on Monday and then a quick ride over to another shop to have some suspension work done to out F 250.
We are changing out the 235/85-16 tires rated at 3042lbs each to a set of 285/75-16 tires rated at 3750 each. The fronts will be 265/75-16 so that I wont run into clearance issues with the front fenders.
Our airbags had split the air-lines that feed them so the airlines are going to be repaired/replaced. Upper stable loads will then be installed. My intention is that the airbags will be used to level the truck side-to-side and that the stable loads will allow the stock suspension to carry the weight with less 'squat'.
In my asking around both in person and on the interwebs, I have learned that the axel, bearings, brakes, brakes and "most" of the rear leaf spring pack are the same in the F 250 as the 350. While I realize that NOTHING I do will actually change the weight rating sticker on the truck. The changes will give me a larger safety margin at GVWR.
Now comes the exciting part........ choosing a camper!
REX

I have a 2003 F350 4x4. There are no clearance issues running 285/75R16s on the front (had them for 3 years). The stock Ford antisway bar(s)is a noodle do yourself a favor and replace it with one from Roadmaster, the difference in how the truck handles the load and drives is amazing.

Ditto to what Buzzcut said. I have 285X75X16 no problem and one of my biggest improvements was the Roadmaster rear sway bar. Spend $300 more, it will help a LOT with side to side sway.
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
phurley wrote:
I have a Ford F250 that is paid off and would like to use with a truck camper. I have been using it with a TT.

It's specifications are 4x2 Crew Cab Wheelbase 156.2" GVWR 8,800 Maximum Cargo 2,080

I am looking for something that has a slide. Is that possible with my maximum cargo at 2,080?

Our first F-250 was a 2003 2WD long bed hauling a Lance 815, non slide. The TC loaded up was less than 2800 lbs, Lance no longer built this camper, but there a few good ones on the used market. We've had this Lance since new in 2002 and has held up extremely well with all the back country and off road expeditions we've done.

This is just another option for you to consider.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
phurley wrote:

Not even close. The lightest slide out campers are around 3,000 lbs empty. You'd be over your GVWR by 2,000 lbs or more by the time you were loaded up.

You will need a small, pop-up style camper to stay within your payload ratings. A 3/4 ton truck cannot handle a hard side camper within its rated capacity, and even a 1 ton single wheel is going to be on the ragged edge, assuming a 4x4, crew cab truck.

The short answer to your question is no.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
roamermatt wrote:
Question for sue.t: How accurate are the Adventurer listed dry weights, in your opinion? I spied a 2002 90FW model and company brochure lists a dry weight of 1937 pounds.

We haven't had the opportunity to weigh the truck & camper since purchase. My impression is the weights are reasonably accurate though.

The listed dryweight for our Adventurer 80W is 1898 lbs. The sticker on the camper lists 1839 lbs as the actual dryweight for this unit.

Our F-250 is the 4x4 7.3L supercab shortbox and weighed 6,966 lbs at the scale with humans, dogs, tools. Without any modification, it handles the camper very well. No sway. Rides level. Doesn't bottom out. All good.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

roamermatt
Explorer
Explorer
Good discussion. I'm tuning in as well, since I'm on a similar quest for a camper to ride on my 2001 Dodge 3/4 ton SRW diesel.

Question for sue.t: How accurate are the Adventurer listed dry weights, in your opinion? I spied a 2002 90FW model and company brochure lists a dry weight of 1937 pounds.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Rexsname wrote:
After doing quite a bit of intraweb research...... We have an appointment to install new wheels and tires on Monday and then a quick ride over to another shop to have some suspension work done to out F 250.
We are changing out the 235/85-16 tires rated at 3042lbs each to a set of 285/75-16 tires rated at 3750 each. The fronts will be 265/75-16 so that I wont run into clearance issues with the front fenders.
Our airbags had split the air-lines that feed them so the airlines are going to be repaired/replaced. Upper stable loads will then be installed. My intention is that the airbags will be used to level the truck side-to-side and that the stable loads will allow the stock suspension to carry the weight with less 'squat'.
In my asking around both in person and on the interwebs, I have learned that the axel, bearings, brakes, brakes and "most" of the rear leaf spring pack are the same in the F 250 as the 350. While I realize that NOTHING I do will actually change the weight rating sticker on the truck. The changes will give me a larger safety margin at GVWR.
REX

I have a 2003 F350 4x4. There are no clearance issues running 285/75R16s on the front (had them for 3 years). The stock Ford antisway bar(s)is a noodle do yourself a favor and replace it with one from Roadmaster, the difference in how the truck handles the load and drives is amazing.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

retiredtoo
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a very nice adventurer 80RB that was weighed prior to shipment on the factory scales at a smidge under 1900 lbs. Took my first trip in it with my standard Dodge 2500 Big Horn Diesel. I found nothing really needed to be done to my suspension, wheels, etc. I did put on new E load tires. However, my truck dealer had a 450 dollars installed deal on firestone air bags, so I had them installed to take a little load off the springs and to help keep things level. Haven't test driven yet.

I think a lot of the safety issues that indicate doing some modifications to the trucks we TC people use are more for those times when high and gusty winds are encountered and particularly when you blow a tire at speed. I minimize those issues by imposing a mandatory 60 mph cruise speed on myself, treat any curves on the road with deep respect, watch my downhill speeds etc.

It is also about maintenance maintenance, maintenance on truck and camper. My diesel gets 14 mph average on a round trip with some wind and lots of up and down climbs as measure at the pump and odometer. I wish it was getting the 20 mpg the computer shows!!

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cehck the actual tire diameter of the 235/85R16 and the 288/75R16 tires. With the 17" rims on my truck the difference was about 1 inch and that only changes the distance between the center of the rim and the spindle and the leading edges of the tire by 1/2" which is not enough to worry about. Same applies to the width of the tire where a 1" wider tire is only going to be 1/2" further from the centerline of the rim.

I noticed a 2% change in odometer/speedometer reading with the new tires and no load in the bed. With the camper on the truck the odometer/speedometer is dead accurate as the weigh reduces the rear tires' radius.

sky_free
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that for recent TC's at least, a Lance 855S will be the lightest slide model, at about 3,400 lbs wet with common options. Truck Camper magazine chose that one specifically to stay under the GVWR on their 1-ton SRW truck to prove a point I guess.
2017 Escape 17B, 2012 VW Touareg

Rexsname
Explorer
Explorer
REX

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
90% of the truck campers have a weight that requires changes to the stock truck to carry the load safely. Your truck's axle and wheel bearings can handle up to 8900 lbs. but the springs and the rims and tires are rated for a lot less.

For the springs the easiest fix is SuperSprings that take an hour to install. You can get a set to increase the load capacity of your truck to either 4,000 lbs. or 5,000 lbs. (SSA-16 or SSA-13).

The rims load capacity depends on their construction as at least 4 different types of rims are commonly used on heavy duty pickup trucks. The rim width also can limit the tires that can be mounted. Most higher load range tires require a minimum rim width of 7.5 inches.

There are tires from Nitto, Toyo, Hankook, BFG, and possibly others, that can handle 3750 lbs. or more of load at 80 PSI. Going to 19.5 rims and tires you can get up to 4800 lbs. of load capacity per wheel though this is the more expensive approach with a price tag of around $3500 in total.

Get the springs installed, do whatever is needed with the wheels and tires, add tie-downs, and install an electrical receptacle in the bed, buy some turnbuckles, and you will be ready to go shopping and be able to load the camper in the bed and take it home.

Plan on a road weight for travel of 1000 lbs. over the camper manufacturer's listed dry weight for the camper and you will be in the ballpark. When you get the camper you can spend $10 at a CAT scale and get the exact weight of your rig.

Be aware that the great majority of people with hard sided campers have had to do a lot of modifications to their trucks to handle the load effectively. Even a 1-ton DRW truck is not going to be great in 100% stock form.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
A slide camper at 2,080 pounds? No.
A slide camper on that truck with a lot of modifications? Yes.
Most people hauling TC are over their GVWR. Usually they go by axle and tire weights just like the commercial trucking industry. If you do your homework, watch closes all the limits of the tires, wheels, axle, springs, etc you can make something work. You will likely need some aftermarket shocks, sway bars, helper springs, etc.

skanj0
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 Lance 845 on a 2006 Ford F250 4x4. These things are heavy, and the manufactures weights are insanely optimistic. The sticker on my camper says it has a wet weight of 2,700 lbs. It lies. Loaded, and with normal gear, clothing, and food for 2 people it tips the scales at just over 4k lbs.
2016 F350 SRW, Diesel, FX4, CCSB
Icon 2.5 CDCs
Icon 2.5” Coil Springs
Add a Leaf in Main Pack and Twin Auxiliary Springs
Custom rear Sumo Springs
Edge CTS Monitoring System
Toyo AT3 295/65/20
2023 Arctic Fox 865 with Victron galore
2 Ga Charging System

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take a look at the Truck Camper Magazine buyers guide located here:

Truck Camper Magazine Buyers Guide

Look at their estimation of the real weights of the campers. That will give you a feel for how much some units are going to weigh.