cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford Sync DOESN'T Sync anymore, and it's bugging me!

davehultin
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hi everyone,

We purchased a 2010 Ford Expedition at the beginning of the year and just started pulling with it. It's doing great at towing, but the Sync Bluetooth doesn't connect to my iPhone any more and it's really bugging me!

I couldn't get it to sync when I first got it. Sync wouldn't generate a Pass-Key on this screen:

Then I did a system reset on Sync and it generated the Pass-Key and I was able to connect!

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. Sync started acting goofy. The phone was still connected and I could answer calls and play audio through the bluetooth connection, but the Sync on-screen controls didn't respond any more. I tried a handful of things, including unpairing the phone and Sync with the intention of re-pairing them, but then I was back to that same screen that wouldn't generate a Pass-Key. And this time a system reset isn't changing anything.

Any other ideas to try?

Dave Hultin
----------
2019 Ford Expedition Max, 2018 Gulfstream Cabin Cruiser 28BBS
15 REPLIES 15

davehultin
Explorer III
Explorer III
GOOD NEWS!!!

I did the "disconnect the battery" version of the reset tonight and now everything works again!

The Pass-Key is now displayed, so I can pair my phone!
The System Reset option is back!
The Master Reset button is now there (but I don't need it, of course!)
Sync recognizes the USB drive, so I can install the firmware update! (Haven't done that yet, but I probably will.)
And there are more goodies that I don't think I've seen before!

So I guess Microsoft's equivalent of Ctrl-Alt-Delete for Sync is "disconnect the battery cable".

Dave Hultin
----------

davehultin
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, this is just going nowhere. 😞 I followed every step of preparing for the firmware upgrade, plugged in the USB drive and ...

NOTHING.

I'm assuming that something was supposed to happen. The instructions implied that it's just a matter of plugging it in and everything just happens. But all I got was a whole bunch o' nothing.

😞

All this because Sync doesn't show a Pass-Key to allow me to re-pair my phone to Sync.

Random notes:
- Now the system reset option has disappeared too.
- Back when the system reset option was available, doing the reset would cause the clock to be off by one hour. Don't know if that's a hint to any of the problems. Probably not.
- Any instructions about the master reset don't seem to match my system

Dave Hultin
----------

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2012 F150 with the same issue-new phone, though. Just loses sync. Ford had no answer. All the electronics in this vehicle are sketchy already. Looks like we should look into a firmware update.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to do a hard reset. There should be directions in the owners manual or on the My Sync web-site. Then do the update and see what happens.

Good luck Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

davehultin
Explorer III
Explorer III
Toddupton wrote:
Have you updated the firmware?

No, but I think that's my next move.

OH48Lt wrote:
Delete any devices in the system that were paired from the previous owner, maybe that will help.

BenK wrote:
Try clearing all devices (delete) and starting all over in the middle of somewhere, where there are no other Blue Tooth devices....

No devices are displayed, so I gotta think they're gone. Anyways, after the initial "not working" period of time it worked fine. Until now. 😞

thomasmnile wrote:
Time for a new vehicle?

This IS my new (to me!) vehicle! We reserved the splurge for the camper!

goducks10 wrote:
How new are your iPhones?

iPhone 6s

mbopp wrote:
Have you tried emailing or chatting with Sync support?

Not yet. Wanted to ask all the smart people here first!

Krusty wrote:
Disconnect the vehicle battery for 5-10 minutes, then do SYNC reset again. Also restart your phone. Good idea to check the SYNC website (or Ford dealer)to see if you have an available software update

That's what I do to zap the phantom "Check fuel inlet" warning, guess the battery disconnect is worth a try. I've restarted the phone more times than I care to count. Working on the update now.

Captain_Happy wrote:
Have you looked in your phone under setting and see if the Bluetooth is even linked to your vehicle? On my smart phone sometimes it don't link up when I start my car. I go to the Bluetooth and press on it to make sure it's linked to my truck.

Sync shows up in the "other devices" list, but that's where I get stuck. Without the Pass-Key (see the photo in my original post) I can't do anything. Last time this happened I didn't know what was missing, then after the reset the Pass-Key just appeared! Now I know it's supposed to be there but it doesn't show up (even after the reset, which is when it showed up last time).

carringb wrote:
Do the firmware update. Dealer will provide a USB stick if you ask, or order from Ford.

I'm going down the firmware update path now.

Thanks for all the tips, everyone!

Dave Hultin
----------

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Do the firmware update. Dealer will provide a USB stick if you ask, or order from Ford.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked in your phone under setting and see if the Bluetooth is even linked to your vehicle? On my smart phone sometimes it don't link up when I start my car. I go to the Bluetooth and press on it to make sure it's linked to my truck.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
My original iPhone 6 was rock-solid with SYNC, including reading text messages even though Ford says that it's incompatible. Then it was replaced and cloned from the 1st phone and there are a handful of issues showing up now. No more text message reading, and it will occasionally just drop the BT for no reason for 15-30sec, then reconnect. I have had the opposite problem with both devices generating a pass key for the other, and neither has a place to enter one... Have you looked at the Ford forums on this?
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
Disconnect the vehicle battery for 5-10 minutes, then do SYNC reset again. Also restart your phone. Good idea to check the SYNC website (or Ford dealer)to see if you have an available software update
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I have a dumb phone that Sync wouldn't get messages from. I ended up resetting Sync, and deleting and re-installing my phone.

Have you tried emailing or chatting with Sync support?
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
It may have sync'd up with a neighbors Blue Tooth device without them, nor you knowing...

That is happening more and more...

If so...it is looking for that long lost device...

Try clearing all devices (delete) and starting all over in the middle of somewhere, where there are no other Blue Tooth devices...

Or some baddies 'tried' to get into your device...again, clear/delete all and start over

Updating firmware is always a good thing, but make sure your source is a trusted source...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
How new are your iPhones? When I had my 2010 F150 my older phone wouldn't stay sync'd for very long. I got a newer Android and the problem never showed up again.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
I have a decidedly 20th century dashboard in both my vehicles, but a question comes to mind. Is the data storage of these devices a limited capacity so at some point a firmware or other update is no longer possible, like smartphones, Garmin GPS devices (have experience with them), etc? Programmed obsolescence? Time for a new vehicle?

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
That old Sync system only allows 2 devices to be paired, if its the same as what was in my wife's 2011 Edge. It would drop pairing occasionally also. Delete any devices in the system that were paired from the previous owner, maybe that will help.

The new Sync 3 system by the Blackberry people on the wife's new 2017 Edge is a vast improvement over the former Microsoft Sync, but it also drops pairing sometimes. Pain in the azz.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)