cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford Trailer Camera and TPMS

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I mounted the trailer camera but I’m disappointed in the image quality. I think I’ll talk to my dealer about trying a replacement camera. The instructions say to mount the TPMS module on the frame of the trailer but I think the fiver’s basement would be a better place unless it would cause some issue with Bluetooth reception from the tire sensors? Has anyone on here got experience with mounting the module in the basement? Is there anyway of getting the wiring harness to follow the 7 pin trailer cord that goes up into the pin box? I think I’ll have to run the wires along the underside of the bedroom and then drill into the basement at the top front of the basement. Not a big deal but if I ever go over some very wonky ground I suppose it’s possible to have the tailgate pinch the harness.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5
6 REPLIES 6

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
MNRon wrote:
Ford TPMS FYI - turns out the Ford supplied TPMS sensors come with a small stem (0.453") instead of the large stem hole (0.625") the rims for my G rated tires have. My local tire shop just shrugged their shoulders. After a little digging I called Discount Tires; they were familiar with the issue and can easily swap the sensors onto new larger stems, unfortunately they are out of stock so it will be a few more days...

I think my rims are the smaller size... guess I'll have to look!

I had hope to have them installed just before I left for a multi month trip, but the #$%%$^ tire dealer called me the night before my appt to tell me they had no techs available. So much for doing business with a small independent dealer! I haven't felt like dealing with it while traveling, so I haven't had the TPMS installed

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Ford TPMS FYI - turns out the Ford supplied TPMS sensors come with a small stem (0.453") instead of the large stem hole (0.625") the rims for my G rated tires have. My local tire shop just shrugged their shoulders. After a little digging I called Discount Tires; they were familiar with the issue and can easily swap the sensors onto new larger stems, unfortunately they are out of stock so it will be a few more days...
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4ord wrote:
My camera image looks as though there is a protective film over the lens but unfortunately that's not the problem. Its good to hear that the image should be crystal clear. I should be able to get a replacement ordered in.

We leave on 4/1, but I'm expecting it to remain crystal clear while driving

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
philh wrote:
I haven't traveled with the camera yet, but static I found it to be crystal clear. It's mounted near the top of the rear cap, underneath the over hang. Is there a chance there's a piece of protective film on the camera? I don't recall if mine had one or not.

Yaw sensor is mounted on the pin box, don't recall if it's inside or outside.

TPMS repeater is mounted on the inside of of the front compartment. I don't have tire sensors installed yet.

My camera image looks as though there is a protective film over the lens but unfortunately that's not the problem. Its good to hear that the image should be crystal clear. I should be able to get a replacement ordered in.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I haven't traveled with the camera yet, but static I found it to be crystal clear. It's mounted near the top of the rear cap, underneath the over hang. Is there a chance there's a piece of protective film on the camera? I don't recall if mine had one or not.

Yaw sensor is mounted on the pin box, don't recall if it's inside or outside.

TPMS repeater is mounted on the inside of of the front compartment. I don't have tire sensors installed yet.

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
I also just purchased a 2022 F350 and am going through the various set-ups. I spend a day last week pulling the wiring harnesses through my 35ft 5er. Most of that time was dealing with the 4ft from the pin-box to the basement (between exterior sheeting and styrofoam insulation). What a pain pulling the large connectors through!

I just tie-wrapped the yaw sensor cable to the umbilical (along with the other harness also) and mounted the yaw sensor on the pin box. That's the easy one.

The other harness I pulled through the front as mentioned, and then ran along the basement ceiling as far as the tpms sensor would go, wish the cable was 5ft longer. Ended up mid-basement in front of the wheels, I tie-wrapped this to the down toilet pipe.

The backup camera is mounted at the top of the rear wall. It's cable comes through the basement with the tpms sensor cable and then up the vent stack onto the roof, it runs on top of the roof to the back.

Tires are all off of the 5er now awaiting transmitter mounting in the next day or two. Then I'll be able to check out how well the various sensors are functioning in my implementation. I'll let you know. Good luck with yours!
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK