cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forest River Wolf Pup 16FQ?

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
My short list of TT includes a Forest River Cherokee Wolf Pup 16 FQ. I'm well aware that this is an entry level trailer, but it should suit my needs, tow vehicle, and budget. I like the floor plan, and it's one of the few that has a decent size bathroom with a sink in it.

Wolf Pup 16 FQ

Just wondering if anyone has any input on recent experiences with this product line from Forest River.

One concern I have is the Lippert axles. I've read some of the horror stories, but they seem to be from 2010-2011 time range. Obviously a lot of people are using later model Forest River products and I don't find complaints about axles from the last couple of years. Any recent experiences with Lipper axles in FR or other brands?
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board
20 REPLIES 20

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
WildPlumYonder wrote:
I had a 2011 17B Wolf Pup and we went through 2 axles and a set of tires. I was really disappointed with Forest River (and the dealer I bought the trailer from) and the run-around I got from them. The problem was the the axle was rated below the dry weight (even once you subtracted the hitch weight) of the trailer. The axle bent on the first trip out.

Surprisingly, Lippert was the company that at least sent us 2 axles. The upgrade of the wheels/tires was entirely on our own dime (as was all of the installation).

The new Wolf Pups I have looked at seem to be better designed, although I haven't checked the weight ratings and axles.

My other issue, after seeing the result of 2 spectacular wrecks, is that I was not buying another single axle trailer again.

Edit to add - the other thing that drove me nuts is having the wheels outside the trailer box area. You always have to remember that you are a good foot and a half wider on each side than the big box looming in your rear view mirror.
I don't think any of the current Wolf Pups have wheels on the outside of the box. When they first were mfg they were.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would not worry about the axle, similar TT will be the same. Personally I have had good luck with the Cherokee brand, (Wolf pup is the entry brand).

You might want to check out the Palomino brand.

Like others I would want 2 axles, to me easier to back and higher safety margin.

WildPlumYonder
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2011 17B Wolf Pup and we went through 2 axles and a set of tires. I was really disappointed with Forest River (and the dealer I bought the trailer from) and the run-around I got from them. The problem was the the axle was rated below the dry weight (even once you subtracted the hitch weight) of the trailer. The axle bent on the first trip out.

Surprisingly, Lippert was the company that at least sent us 2 axles. The upgrade of the wheels/tires was entirely on our own dime (as was all of the installation).

The new Wolf Pups I have looked at seem to be better designed, although I haven't checked the weight ratings and axles.

My other issue, after seeing the result of 2 spectacular wrecks, is that I was not buying another single axle trailer again.

Edit to add - the other thing that drove me nuts is having the wheels outside the trailer box area. You always have to remember that you are a good foot and a half wider on each side than the big box looming in your rear view mirror.
TT: 2017 Keystone Hideout 21FQWB (prior 2011 FR Wolf Pup, 1990 Starcraft tent trailer, tent camping)
TV: 2013 Ford F150 5.0 V8, 373
(map is where I've camped, not where I've lived or visited)

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
chryslermastertech wrote:
It has a 3500# axle load range D tires ,empty tongue weight of 350# so add for battery and propane,I only add enough water for travel just enough to use the bathroom on way(my wife has serious medical issues) only have enough dishes and pans for the two of us and not a lot of gadgets. Spent two weeks in it this summer going from lake Erie to NC with no problems, a little cramped... at times but enjoyed every minuet.

Pulled it with a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6, which did great averaged 18mpg.

I would mainly be travelling with grandkids, so that would be easier than 2 adults.

My BF has a larger trailer that we use for trips together.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
deltabravo wrote:
It may not have a Lippert Axle. My small Coachmen has a Dexter Axle. I have a 17BH.

There will be some sort of ID tag on the axle, indicating what brand it is.

Thanks, I will check into this on the Wolf Pup and on any other trailer I look at.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
It may not have a Lippert Axle. My small Coachmen has a Dexter Axle. I have a 17BH.

There will be some sort of ID tag on the axle, indicating what brand it is.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

chryslermastert
Explorer
Explorer
It has a 3500# axle load range D tires ,empty tongue weight of 350# so add for battery and propane,I only add enough water for travel just enough to use the bathroom on way(my wife has serious medical issues) only have enough dishes and pans for the two of us and not a lot of gadgets. Spent two weeks in it this summer going from lake Erie to NC with no problems, a little cramped... at times but enjoyed every minuet.

Pulled it with a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6, which did great averaged 18mpg.
Mel Scwhentner
Chrysler tech/shop foreman 40 years
A.S.E mastertech certfied 30+year
2012 Jeep wk
1965 Chrysler 300
1951 Desoto s15

1965 Chrysler 300 sport
1951 Desoto S15 custom
2015 Viking FQ

chryslermastert
Explorer
Explorer
axle 3500# tongue weight 450# loaded ,load range D tires pull with a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6, average 18 Mpg does not need WDH just a sway control never had an issue. Spent 2 weeks in it this summer going from lake Erie to NC and back.
Mel Scwhentner
2012 Jeep wk
1965 Chrysler 300
1951 Desoto s15

1965 Chrysler 300 sport
1951 Desoto S15 custom
2015 Viking FQ

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
That looks just like my 2015 Viking 17FQ also by forest river, have not had a single problem my wife and my self love it plenty of room for both of us.

Thanks for posting

Since my wife and I are about to move into our new 2016 Forest River Wildwood in another three weeks.

jack L
Jack & Nanci

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
poppin_fresh wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:

So.... where does the tongue weight go when you are not hitched up? It's sitting on the axle, of course!

No... it's sitting on the tongue jack when you are not hitched up.

Well that was kind of a DUH moment for me! Thanks!

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:

So.... where does the tongue weight go when you are not hitched up? It's sitting on the axle, of course!

No... it's sitting on the tongue jack when you are not hitched up.
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
That looks just like my 2015 Viking 17FQ also by forest river, have not had a single problem my wife and my self love it plenty of room for both of us.

Great!

So what is the weight rating on your axle?

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
~DJ~ wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:
I know about the possibilities of shoddy workmanship. I intend to do an extremely thorough PDI and not sign anything until all the issues I find are resolved.

I'm mainly concerned about the Lippert axle issues. Little things I can fix or deal with, but the axle is a big thing.

How can I tell what the weight rating of an axle is?

Your Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is just under 4000# so I would imagine you will have a 3500# or bit less axle. It should be listed on a sticker on the side of the TT towards the front. Yes, most manufacturers won't put axles on to equal the GRWR as they are counting on 10% of the weight on the hitch.
I think this is exactly right. Given the specs, if you subtract the listed tongue weight from the GVWR, it is exactly 3500 lb.

IMHO that is ridiculous, and just a disaster waiting to happen.

This may push me back to looking harder at Jaycos. I don't know who makes their axles, but their frames are good. My closest dealer also has a very good reputation. A little more money up front but likely not in the long run.

chryslermastert
Explorer
Explorer
Mel Scwhentner
2012 Jeep wk
1965 Chrysler 300
1951 Desoto s15

1965 Chrysler 300 sport
1951 Desoto S15 custom
2015 Viking FQ