cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Freedom Express Wheel Chocks

buffaloKev
Explorer
Explorer
anyone have any advice for wheel chocking the freedom express TTs? My model has a wide gap between the tires, don't even think the wide version of the X chocks will work. The simple thing would be to measure tires but my Trailer has been at dealer for well over a week now for some warranty work, probably be 2 more weeks before I get it back. Thanks
16 REPLIES 16

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
...I have never had a trailer roll in two different directions or pivot on the suspension axis.

I have had a trailer pivot. :E

...and anything can also be over complicated as much as a person cares to over complicate it.

To each his / her own. I don't see chocking any trailer's tires in both directions so it absolutely can't shift as "over complicated". It's just common sense. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Why would you not just jam a single chock ahead of the downhill tire on each side, and be done with it? Its not like your trailer will roll away uphill.

Campsites don't always slope in just one direction, in fact can be quite uneven, creating a situation where one side of the trailer may want to roll forward while the opposite side wants to roll back. Having once had a trailer get away on me years ago I always chock in both directions, regardless of whether anyone else deems it necessary. :R

I don't know how you took my comment as deeming anything towards you, but at the same time I have never had a trailer roll in two different directions or pivot on the suspension axis. Camping in the central PA mountains I have yet to see a level site. I guess anything can happen however, like attempting to park on a 2 to 1 slope that breaks in two directions directly under your axles, and anything can also be over complicated as much as a person cares to over complicate it.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
I use the yellow plastic chocks and the X chicks on my 28se freedom express. The X chicks fit and do help wit the stability of the unit they are spread out more than they were with my previous trailer but do a great job. I just have to remember once the tires cool to retighten them

buffaloKev
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2015-Coachmen-FREEDOM-EXPRESS-248RBS-122371918

if your tt axles looks like this one in the link why can't you use wide x choks like the the ones in the link ?

Nice find, didn't think those would fit. Thanks for the info!

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2015-Coachmen-FREEDOM-EXPRESS-248RBS-122371918

if your tt axles looks like this one in the link why can't you use wide x choks like the the ones in the link ?

LeoandLil
Explorer
Explorer

Here are the ones I use. They adjust to fit the distance between the tires. I use them to steady the trailer when walking around inside it. They definitely work. They are also MUCH more substantial and "beefer" than they look in photos.
2017 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS ("near-luxury" couples coach)

Jackfate
Explorer
Explorer
buffaloKev wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I should have been more clear, I am looking for chocks to add more stability to the trailer. The regular chocks will always be used

Camco makes some yellow plastic ones they have 2 sizes and the latest version has a locking bar . Their light and clean about $60 pair. Been using the early version 2 years now no complaints but the lock bar seems like a good option

buffaloKev
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I should have been more clear, I am looking for chocks to add more stability to the trailer. The regular chocks will always be used

Community Alumni
Not applicable
You don't need anything special to chock spread axle trailers. Just use regular chocks. That's what I use with my Freedom Express. Place regular chocks on both sides of the tire. Drive up on them slightly to make sure they're tight.

One more note. If you find a set of X-Chocks or similar products that fit, you should not depend on these as chocks. Tires contract as the temps get lower causing the X-Chock to loosen. This can allow the trailer to roll away. Always use a set of regular chocks to hold the trailer in place.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Why would you not just jam a single chock ahead of the downhill tire on each side, and be done with it? Its not like your trailer will roll away uphill.

Campsites don't always slope in just one direction, in fact can be quite uneven, creating a situation where one side of the trailer may want to roll forward while the opposite side wants to roll back. Having once had a trailer get away on me years ago I always chock in both directions, regardless of whether anyone else deems it necessary. :R

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW ... ๐Ÿ˜‰

I have a set of Fastway OneStep regular size chocks and IMO they're a PITA to use. :M The reason - many don't realize it but the spacing between any trailer's adjacent tires actually varies according to the surface on which the tires are sitting and how much weight each set of tires may be carrying at any given time. Tire spread will also vary somewhat when a slide is in the travel position vs when it's deployed AND will also vary as the tires cool over the course of the first hour after arriving on site. I never gave any of this much consideration when I bought these OneStep chocks but it's proven to be an incredibly annoying issue, so much so that I no longer use them. Yes, each set can be adjusted by removing a set pin and switching it to another set of holes but I certainly don't want to do that each time I set up just because in one case the tires may be sitting on a hard, flat surface but the next time may have sunk into soft sand quite a bit. Previously I used a set of BAL Standard Tire Locking chocks which were infinitely adjustable by simply turning the screw connecting the two tire pads together so any difference in spread from one situation to another was a non-issue.

Even when spread increased as the tires cooled it was a simple matter of giving each chock a quick couple of turns and they'd be snug again. Unfortunately I can no longer use these BAL chocks on my current trailer as they're still too long to fit between the tires even when adjusted to their minimum length. The only downside for those owning a trailer with spread axles is these BAL chocks are not available in an XL size as are the Fastway OneStep chocks. I thought the Fastway OneStep chocks would solve the narrow spread axle issue for me but in practice have found them to be FAR more trouble to use than they're worth and wouldn't recommend them to anyone. JMO.

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
downtheroad wrote:
Maybe this.......Wheel Chocks

Order the XL model for wide spacing. Shop around for best price.

X2
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe this.......Wheel Chocks

Order the XL model for wide spacing. Shop around for best price.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro