Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fridge cooling fan mod

EnochLight
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone,

I thought I'd share my experience with building and installing an exterior fan mod for my Dometic RM2351 fridge in our travel trailer. I'm doing this in the hopes that it will keep my fridge at a safe temp when the vent side is facing the sun and it's 85F-90F outside (a common temperature range for our trips in the Michigan/Ohio area).

From the factory, it cools great when it's in the shade and it's not more than 70F outside. But once the day starts to heat up, the interior temps have gotten as high as the low 50's - clearly not a safe place to keep food!

Anyway, I looked at various after market 3rd party fan kits already sold, such as the solar version from Camco and a few others. I felt like I could do something much more powerful at a much lower cost with computer case fans, so here's what I did...

For starters, here's the exterior of my TT's vent-side, where the rear of the fridge is located:

Unfortunately, there appears to be some dead space above the fridge, as I discovered when I pulled the panels off. It looks kind of like this:

Anyway, what I intended to build was a 4-fan array supported by two aluminum L-brackets that I got at Home Depot. They would direct air out of the top vent like this:

The computer case fans are standard 80mm, push about 30+ CFM, and draw about .15A each on the 12 volt rail. I decided to do a test run by plugging them into the 120v line (sharing the same plug as the fridge) by using a 12 volt Molex adapter (available at Newegg and/or Amazon, etc). Here's the fans:

So I began to take the panel off by unscrewing it and carefully cutting the silicon seal around the edge. Must be careful - I accidentally gouged out my paint on the top in one small area! ๐Ÿ˜ž

With the panel removed, I discovered that the evaporator cooling fins were placed a lot higher than I originally thought. I was planning to mount the fans pointing up and using directional chute vents to direct the air out at a curved 90 degree angle, but due to space constraints I had to mount them in the front blowing air straight out. I measured about 22" width, cut my aluminum L-brackets to length, and hand assembled them for a trial fit:

I began by setting the fans in the L-Brackets and drilling a marker hole with a bit much smaller than the diameter of the case fans. Then I set them aside and drilled a hole large enough to get a #10 32x1/2" round head screw through the L-Bracket loosely and torquing them down into the fan frames to hold the whole assembly together. One by one I screwed them together - the end result is quite sturdy:

I was going to solder everything together, but decided to use a European-style terminal strip (from RadioShack) so that I could easily replace the fans if one went bad. Initially I just wired them all into one termination point as I didn't want to go through the hassle of doing them one by one for my initial "dry run":

The finished array turned out like this (though I will eventually wire each one into its own terminus in the strip, tidy up the wires, etc, should it work OK:

I mounted it right in front of the fins, with the directional chutes all blowing out and slightly down in an effort to curtail moisture from falling down into the fans when it rains hard. You can see in the second pic that the fan array sits right on top of the cooling fins:

I let it run last night starting at about 8:30 PM, when it was about 82F outside. When I got up this morning, it was a chilly 35F inside:

But unfortunately, when it hit around 2:15 PM today I checked again. The temperature had climbed to 42F, which is unsafe for proper food storage. Hmmmm....

That said, it was about 84F today and sunny. Normally my fridge temp would be climbing closer to the high 40's/low 50's, so it does appear to be aiding in cooling - just not as good as I had hoped. Next I will try filling the dead air space above the fridge, and then adding a second interior fan blowing off of the inside cooling fins.

Right now I utilize one of those battery operated Camco fridge fans, but it doesn't really blow air onto the inside cooling fins.

So... all in all... I'm a little disappointed, but still hopeful. Total cost for building this was under $70 in parts, and I thought that pushing almost 120 CFM in such a small area would definitely solve my issue.... but it didn't.

Oh and, as far as noise - they are barely audible running at full RPM. If I do end up keeping this on and hard wiring it into my 12-volt system, I'll likely just put an on/off switch on the rear when I wire it up. That said... getting power to my interior fan idea is a whole other problem. No internal light or power source, so I'll have to do some drilling into my fridge wall - which scares me.
2013 Gulfstream Amerilite 16BHC Travel Trailer pulled with a 2008 Ford Escape Limited
49 REPLIES 49

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dometic actually did some engineering on refrigerator cooling improvements and they have a design called the Innovation Ventilator System. They recommend that RV manufacturers follow those designs when installing a refrigerator, especially in areas where top venting isn't possible. Unfortunately many (most?) RV manufacturers have chosen to ignore those designs.

I also did a science fair project on the Domentic installed in my Class B following Dometic's design guidelines. I also tried a few other things and learned quite a bit about what limits performance on these refrigerators. If anyone is interested, my findings can be found at:

Chillin' with Bob

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I kinda had a feeling that it was your A/C unit... That's a small TT, so the fridge itself must just be a single door, under the counter unit?

I've got the bigger unit with 2 doors with the upper freezer..

Mine vents thru the roof and has the larger lower vent on the outside that you can pull off with just a couple of tabs.

I also run the roof 13.5k A/C when it's that hot out and I have electric hook up, so that keeps my inside temps in the low to mid 70's easily..

I don't mind using LP for the fridge 100% of the time when it keeps my beer cold! ๐Ÿ™‚ And yes, it keeps the rest of the food cold too... ๐Ÿ™‚

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

EnochLight
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:
What is the roof vent up front for? To me, that looks like a 'normal' fridge "out" vent?? The thing just below on the side of it up front has me baffled as well??

That's my AC on the left side, and the vent on top of the roof is for the AC.

MitchF150 wrote:
But, what you did with those in/out vents on the side is very "cool" indeed! ๐Ÿ™‚

Ha! Thank you, sir!

MitchF150 wrote:
Were you running the fridge on gas or elect when it got that hot in the day?

I ask because I run my fridge 100% of the time on gas, just because it cools so much better and I'm able to keep it between 38-40* even of the hottest of days and opening it a lot to get my beer thru the day.. ๐Ÿ˜‰

When I run it on electric in the same temps and such, it'll get to 45 and take forever to recover...

I was running it on electric - and I almost always do. I've never tried the gas except when driving - will do so tonight.

Thanks!
2013 Gulfstream Amerilite 16BHC Travel Trailer pulled with a 2008 Ford Escape Limited

pfidahospud
Explorer
Explorer
Nice writeup! I really appreciate you sharing your results, even if they weren't as good as hoped. I have a very similar side-venting setup and improved the dead space issue using regular fiberglass insulation. It does keep the counter top above the fridge MUCH cooler, so that's got to help some (pic here). I also hard-wired a fan inside the fridge (pic here). I think the most helpful part there is air flow when I overcrowd the fridge -- easy to do when it's small. Please keep us updated with your endeavors! I too worry when temps get above 90ยฐ. Just doesn't seem to keep up no matter what.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
What is the roof vent up front for? To me, that looks like a 'normal' fridge "out" vent?? The thing just below on the side of it up front has me baffled as well??

But, what you did with those in/out vents on the side is very "cool" indeed! ๐Ÿ™‚

Were you running the fridge on gas or elect when it got that hot in the day?

I ask because I run my fridge 100% of the time on gas, just because it cools so much better and I'm able to keep it between 38-40* even of the hottest of days and opening it a lot to get my beer thru the day.. ๐Ÿ˜‰

When I run it on electric in the same temps and such, it'll get to 45 and take forever to recover...

Oh, and even thou I'm in the NW, I camp a lot on the EAST side of the mountain and it gets very hot over there... ๐Ÿ˜‰

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.