cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

From motorhome to travel trailer

JL7456
Explorer
Explorer
After forty years and four motorhomes and the last year without anything, we are exploring the idea of purchasing a small couples travel trailer and a pickup truck to pull it. We are looking at KZ Connect lite or Gulf Stream Ameri-lite. We would like to know the quality of these units or suggestions for a trailer under 28 feet. Thanks!
13 REPLIES 13

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoy!
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

JL7456
Explorer
Explorer
Just a quick update, purchased a used truck last week and pick up the TT tomorrow. Got the KZ Connect 241RLK. Thank you for all of your advice and information. Happy Trails.

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
At 77 if I was going to do just short trips. Maybe I would consider a TT. If I did I would buy a TT from: Nash, Arctic fox, Outdoors RV. My second TT was an Arctic Fox 22H. I have judged every other RV I have owned to it when it comes to how it is built. What thoughts were put into making it four season, maybe. Basic things like a usable bathroom space, cooking space, tank size and such.

Looking at their websites I see even they have changed some of their layouts to the detriment to offer things other competitors are offering. Smaller showers was one thing I noticed on some models.

One of the subtle thing I have noticed is my 22H was quieter inside than any other RV I have had.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
We were in the same situation as yu are now. I sold a dutch star and bought a F150 Truck and bought a 22โ€™ TT for local trips. The TT has a large slide out with all the goodies.
Murphy bed gives us a lot of interior space in the 20โ€™ box. The quality is not Newmar built. I negotiated and payed a fair price for a new unit. If yu want higher quality look at Lance, Artic Fox, and Northern. I bought a Anderson WDH which is quiet and works well w/ my micro lite Flagstaff trailer. I changed the rear bumper and added a 3500 watt generator on rear rack and backup camera
HAPPY CAMPING
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
The Gulf Stream Ameri Lite is as low as you can get quality wise and also the lowest entry level trailer made.

Stick with KZ and Winnebago.
I would second this after owning a Gulfstream and trading it in after one trip, in all fairness this was a few years ago.

A lot of people seem to like Grand Design but have not owned one.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would take a close look at the Venture travel trailer models in the length you are wanting. They have a lot of good features including a large shower in the rear bath and the use of the murphy bed up front which gives you the advantage of a full bed and the sofa at the front of the trailer. They also have a continuous one piece roof that runs from the bottom front to the bottom rear of the trailer. It should be less prone to leaking at the seams than normal TT roofs.
If I were in the market for a small TT, they would definitely be on my short list. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

JL7456
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I should have made it a little more clear, that we will not go back to the motorhome concept as we are in our late seventies and just want something that we can tow out to local campgrounds within two hours of our home. I appreciate all of the advice and information from everyone. I would like to know preferences on brand names, quality and value for the money. We have the TV and now just need the TT. The TV can tow up to 13,000 pounds. As for the TT it can be used or new and we want to keep it under 28ft. Thanks for the advice.

ajriding
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you asking specifically only about these two trailer brands, or wanting anecdotes about trailers vs motorhomes?

Trailers vs motors depend on a lot of variables. The obvious is a trailer is less trouble, less maintenance, no insurance, retains value longer, no transmission, or motor to repair, will not break down etc.
Motorhomes are nice, compact, easy to use and if you can throw a lot of money at it might be the best choice.
If you rarely plan to use the RV then the trailer makes sense as it can sit for long periods and the transmission seals, which it does not have, will not dry out, and the motor will not need to be started and driven from time to time because it does not have one.
If you will RV a lot and do a lot of miles, then the motorhome will accumulate the miles, and need repair like any vehicle, and eventually need a new trans or a new motor, or some major work, again, if money no object then motorhome is a nice option.

To me, new trailers or RVs are like a walmart bike. Buy it and take it straight to a real bike shop to be fixed. Most RVs are built poorly and quickly and will need repairs very soon.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just to show the other end of the spectrum.
I don't miss the TT at all. hooking up and dealing with the WD hitch in the heat. Worrying about a potential trailer tire blowing. needing to pull over and open the trailer to use the bathroom. trying to level the trailer with blocks. most of all the worst was trying to cool down the inside of a trailer after towing in the 90`s all day! with the MH hooking up the toad is simple and much better when its 90 outside! MH tires don't have the blowout record ST tires do plus they last a few years longer. the inside of the MH will be nice and cool when you get to your destination. the bathroom is right there for you, and again nice and cool. slide and roof maint are required on any type of RV. As far as the windshield freezing, not worried as I will never travel in the winter, but car/SUV windshields will do the same thing. TT tires and truck tires will cost you a bit less than 22.5" MH tires, but MH tires can last longer than ST tires and longer than a truck that's also your daily driver, you may go through 2 sets on a truck to one set on a MH. also you don't need to worry about cleaning and inspecting wheel bearings every couple of years on a MH.
Just a different perspective.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
We started out in a van (1987), then a cabover, travel trailer, then a class A motorhome. We traveled in the motorhome for a decade. I enjoyed it but, it was a lot more maintenance. In 2017 we bought a new travel trailer (our first brand new unit). For the most part, I prefer the TT to the motorhome. The things I sort of miss about the motorhome is being fully self contained, the bathroom and generator out on the road. And, having a toad if you break down. What I don't miss is every bloody thing else. Freezing in front of that big windshield in the dead of winter. 3 grand for a set of tires.

We have a bathroom now but, it requires pulling over. The maintenance on a travel trailer is much less. I have the quick lube axles so, very easy there. Brake adjustments are easy. Wash the roof, et al, a few times a year. Lube the slide out rails and the TV antenna. 15 minutes to winterize it a couple of times a year. Super easy.

If you're going long distances just get more tow vehicle than you think you need. Just enough to be legal will do it but, not the fun way. If I were going spending long hours for days on the road I'd rather have the motorhome. For a week here and a week there I much prefer the travel trailer.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Gulf Stream Ameri Lite is as low as you can get quality wise and also the lowest entry level trailer made.

Stick with KZ and Winnebago.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy or select the TT first...then match a TV to it.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
KZ has a better than average reputation for support.
Build quality may be somewhat better than other similar lines, but they and Grand Design seem to have loyal fan bases.