cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gas or electric water heater

tex_wardfan
Explorer
Explorer
Which mode do all of you use. I can use both in my new trailer but I guess I was just wondering which to use and why. I used the gas heater on my last trip to save on watt usage but the people in the big trailer next to me which also had 30 amp usage says they always use the electric water heater.
2016 Sonic by Venture 190vrb
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 4.8L V8
30 REPLIES 30

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have an electric element in our HWT but rarely use it. I installed full electric heating in our 30 amp TT and we never use the furnace anymore. We could run the electric element and heating if needed tho. With around 55 nights of camping last season, we used less than 1 tank of propane. Our propane gets used for hot water, outdoor grill, fridge and stove.

Seems to me that the amount of propane used by the little 6 gallon HWT is pretty small compared to the rest of the appliances and there's not really a lot of fuel savings to be gained by going electric. We prefer the faster recovery of propane and have used the electric element in addition only a few times when we've had back to back showers.

What I really enjoy is using CG power for our interior space heating - that's where the big savings is... ๐Ÿ™‚

Gambit80
Explorer
Explorer
Electric, unless I need a quick recovery.
Me(40), DW(40), DS(21), DS(21)
2015 Forest River Salem 26TBUD
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 QC, 5.9 CTD

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Electric full time except when showers are underway then both until complete
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

IDoMyOwnStunts
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't seen a tankless dual electric/gas water heater yet, so I'm stuck with gas. But if I had the option, electric would be my first choice. Until they make self fill stations (which will be never), buying propane is something I would like to do less often.
I'm done. This isn't a place to be helpful. It's a place where curmudgeons with a superiority complex will nit pick everything. If you want help, go elsewhere. Admin, delete my account please.

Baja937
Explorer
Explorer
Why would you even consider using propane when you have electric available?

I get this question all the time from people. "Why is there 2 switches for my water heater"?

That tells me many folks don't understand the design of a 6 Gallon DSI-Quick Recovery Water Heater.

I tell them all to only use propane if no electric is available. The Quick Recovery comes from having BOTH switches ON. As Bisquit said, propane heats 2x faster than electric.

When you have 2 people taking showers back to back, this is when you turn BOTH switches ON. I do it 5 minutes before taking a shower and there's still hot water for the 2nd person. Hence Quick Recovery.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
the bear II wrote:
Always use electric if electric is available.

Ditto.

If I'm remote camping, then I use gas.

WHen I leave the rig unattended at a campground, when sightseeing, etc, I turn the electric element off.
Bob

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have an electric and propane water heater. The temp is preset at the factory and to is hot hot hot. It is not adjustable.

I use the electric option, because it is included in the camp fee.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
MikeInOregon wrote:

Electric when in a campground with electric hookup.
Propane when dry camping.

X3....
Gerry

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
MikeInOregon wrote:

x2

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
MAKE SURE the tank is full of water before you turn it on electric,if its not full of water you,ll burn out the element.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
MikeInOregon wrote:

This.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I have no choice, our 96 Southwind has only gas for hot water. ๐Ÿ˜ž

1ofmany
Explorer
Explorer
We always use the electric...we will use the gas simultaneously for a quicker recovery after "someone" has taken a very long shower:-) Once the hot water has recovered, we turn off the gas.