cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

generac impact 3.4 in my 98 lance

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Well my generac 3.4 which has 26 hours on it starts and runs fine. I was running the AC and it would start and run it fine. Then the voltage would drop way down and the compressor would shut off. I have been experimenting quite a bit and sometimes it will run flawless running microwave, ceramic heater and toaster all at once. Other times I will just get a big voltage drop. At all times it will run the micro and toaster but the AC seems to give it the biggest problem. The thing that is odd is the AC will start up and the compressor will kick in and it will run just fine. Then long before the camper gets cool the the voltage will drop and the compressor will stop running. I am in a dilemma because I do have my honda eu3000 that I will probably still carry on the front cargo rack. There for I really don't want to spend money on the generac. Even considering just removing it and using the space for storage. I wouldn't miss the weight either. But on the other hand I like the convenience.

Can someone explain what might be happening?

Thanks in advance for any help!
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!
6 REPLIES 6

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Well seeing as I have the honda 3000 and I was tight on weight, I have removed the Generac. It certainly made for a very nice storage compartment. I also removed one 7 gallon tank of propane. Saving about 200 pounds in weight. I put my grill where the tank of propane went. I of course will put the tank in when winter camping for the heater. I left all connections just in case. In fact they have what looks to be 2 or 4 gauge wire running in the compartment for the starter on the generac, I used those to hook up a small 500 watt inverter and wired it back to the genny plug for TV and computer etc.
With that heavy wire coming from the battery into the compartment it would be a great spot to add batteries for dry camping in the winter also.

I think I will be happy. Thanks for the help.
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
dave17352 wrote:
i have a voltage meter in the 120 plug in. It will be at like 125 and drop to 70 to 90 then the compressor will kick out

Voltage regulator is failing.

Link for specific model manual.......HERE
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Eycom
Explorer
Explorer
As an owner of an 04 Lance with the Genercrap LP generator, I feel your pain. My experience with the 3400 High Impact hasn't been a good one. I had a hard time finding a good certified tech worth his salt during the warranty period and today, the unit has long been discontinued.

While convenient for short runs, if I need air conditioning for the night, I might as well camp next to a refill station. I almost come out ahead getting a Passport America or a Fed/State/City&County park with E/W and dump station. With the "geezer" pass, a C.O.E. park is cheaper when a/c is needed. Knowing what I know now, I would've gone with a couple of Honda 2000s or Yammies. Although a third fuel source is inconvenient, gas stations are a lot easier to find than LP refill stations. On a regional basis, gas is comparably priced. Whereas LP varies widely across town and heaven forbid, you get into an area with just one LP station.

I concur with the idea of dropping the Genercrap for storage space and using the Honda. I think it would be an overall savings in repairs, long run fuel cost, and about 100 lbs in weight. Good luck.
RVn Full-time

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I have run the AC on my Honda with zero problems today for hours.

When running on the generac. It shuts down the compressor even when it is showing 120 on the voltage meter. This is when the t stat is turned to its coldest setting. Then when it tries to start that's when the voltage drops way down, eventually the compressor quits trying to start.

When I run on the Honda it runs perfectly for hours no problems. I know I repeated myself just wanted to make clear what is happening.
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
i have a voltage meter in the 120 plug in. It will be at like 125 and drop to 70 to 90 then the compressor will kick out
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
When you say voltage would drop way down....what voltage reading and how are you monitoring it?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31