Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator experience Honda EU2000i&EU2000ic vs. EU3000is

BPRescue
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

I do a lot of boondocking and will be supplementing Solar with a 3000+ watt generator. I'm not looking for cheap. In my years I have learned that in certain applications, splitting pennies will almost always leave you spending more later, or just wishing you had. In that regard, while I believe you should be frugal if it is the difference in getting you into an activity vs., sitting on the sidelines, but if there is wiggle room to just bite the bullet and do it right. At the same time, one must still be reasonable and Want to stay below $3K including boxes to store it in...

As for my usage, it has to be quiet, dependable and last; which I believe pushes me towards Honda. While I do want the ability to run a 13.5K AC unit during some days, most often I won't need that since I typically go into the high country. At the same time, one of the reasons for purchasing what I am almost sure will be an Outdoors RV Black Rock 23BKS, is to potentially open my range and hit some warmer climates as well. I would rarely use it at night, instead relying on multiple batteries to operate lights, the furnace where applicable, and the occasional pump for washing hands and bathroom business. If I need anything else, I can pop the generator on/off quickly.

I was looking at two different setups in the Honda EU2000i & EU2000ic companion in parallel, or the EU3000iS. I like the 2000 watt package, because most of my usage would be below 2000 watts, though I would also be able to bump it up to more power than I could achieve with the 3000 when I do run the AC. I also plan on purchasing some form of box like the nice diamond plate boxes at RVGeneratorbox.com. This will allow me to transport, lock and run the generators while inside also protecting them from the elements. One factor is I do not want to store, or transport the generator inside the TT, so I do like the solution of a box.

The above said, I am looking for your experience with generators; especially if you utilize the models above where you could provide a review or comparison of sorts. The 2000 option is where I am leaning now per the ease of moving them around, most usage being quieter per the single/smaller unit operation, added power when needed to ensure my AC is at peak levels, and finally affording me a bit of redundancy in terms of failover. It appears both models get excellent ratings, so it comes down to usability.

Also, any experience with generator boxes would be great as well. As I indicated, I want a generator box to pop on the rear of the TT, and especially if I get the 2000 combo, would consider one of the wider truck type tool boxes rather than stacking. I am also considering a supplemental gas tank, but at this point that is not a requirement unless it makes sense.

Thanks in advance!
18 REPLIES 18

jrichard
Explorer
Explorer
I've used both extensively. I had an EU3000is (not the Handi version) for about four years and replaced it with 2 x EU2000i, in use for six years.

There are pros and cons for each. The main pro for the 3000is is that it's easier to listen to than 2 x 2000 when running an a/c or otherwise at high load. Per Honda specs, it's only marginally quieter, but it's a huge difference in real life. The pitch is lower, the rpms sound lower, and it's one unit at 58 dba (at rated load) vs. 2 units at 59 dba. The sound is simply much less intrusive.

At idle or low loads, the pitch difference between the 2000 and 3000 isn't as noticeable, but the 3000 is much quieter. Honda shows 49 vs. 53 dba at 1/4 load. This is a HUGE difference especially if I'm running both of the 2000 units.

The main con of the 3000 is weight--and this is why I got rid of it. At 130+ lbs, it is difficult to lift in and out of my truck compared to the 2000 at 46+ pounds.

For the EU2000, the two main pros are weight and the fact that I only need to take one small/light genset with me if I'm not planning to run the a/c (...though I rarely take just one these days...I have 2 x 6v batteries and all LED lights, so our family of four can easily go 4-5 days w/o charging the batteries....now I typically take the gensets only when I think we'll need a/c).

The main cons of the EU2000 are noise level/quality and maintaining two gensets vs. one.

The bottom line is I much prefer the EU3000is because of noise, but I think I'll stick with 2 x 2000 because they're easier to move about. Honestly, it's a close call.

FWIW, I'd be careful about mounting a lot of weight like generators on the rear of your trailer. It should be in my posting history, but I had the EU3000 mounted in a box and took the time to have things reinforced. I still ended up bending the trailer frame near the axles in front of my reinforcements. The load was simply transferred forward and the frame couldn't handle it.

demort
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
BPRescue wrote:
As for my usage, it has to be quiet, dependable and last; which I believe pushes me towards Honda. While I do want the ability to run a 13.5K AC unit during some days, most often I won't need that since I typically go into the high country.

Why not just invest in one EU2000i (or Companion if that's your preference) plus a MicroAir Easy Start Soft Starter Kit and pass on the second genset. You can always buy a second later should it prove necessary - unlikely judging by reports from those who've already done it.

After a couple of really hot days and nights this summer, I'm giving in and getting the easy start and an EU2000i Companion. We've been very happy boondocking with our solar to recharge the house batteries but we really need to be able to run the AC once in a while.
I figure I can find EU2000i's all day on craig's list if I need the second unit. But I am really hoping the single generator will do the trick and keep it quiet.

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
I use 2 2k Hondas because they are light enough to carry and fit adequately in the back of my pu I have used this setup for 12 yrs so far they have not let me down

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Yamaha 3000 watt inverter generator. Very quiet and it handles our 13,500 AC just fine. I also like the fact that I can shut off the fuel and run the carburetor dry. It always starts on the first pull, even after almost a year of storage. I use Stabil in the fuel. Simpler setup that dual 2000s.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
psdx wrote:
ScottG wrote:
If I could do it over again, I would get the newest Yamaha 2400 gen. rather than the eu2000i.
It provides just that little extra bit of power that I often could use.
And, it start my buddies 13.5K AC at, or just above idle and stays there.

One more thing....Yamaha generators have a valve to shut off the fuel supply so you can run the gas out of the carb during storage. Honda generators do not. Fuel is shut off when you turn off the Honda generator but Yamaha generators have a separate control for fuel and run/stop.

My Honda 3000ui has a separate fuel shutoff.

psdx
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
If I could do it over again, I would get the newest Yamaha 2400 gen. rather than the eu2000i.
It provides just that little extra bit of power that I often could use.
And, it start my buddies 13.5K AC at, or just above idle and stays there.

One more thing....Yamaha generators have a valve to shut off the fuel supply so you can run the gas out of the carb during storage. Honda generators do not. Fuel is shut off when you turn off the Honda generator but Yamaha generators have a separate control for fuel and run/stop.

LJAZ
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 3000 mainly because when camping in the desert southwest in the summer I wanted the ability to run the AC overnight. The 3000 will run about 8.5 hours which is more than enough. I know there are extended run kits available for the 2000's but I didn't want to have to fiddle with that.

Downside is that it is heavy, but I keep it in the truck bed to limit having to move it around.
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Get two Honda 2000 gives more power at lighter weight.

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the 3000i 13 years ago. My reason was that I would set up and leave my wife and daughter while I went to work. She wasnt going to pull start one 2000 then the other if she needed the power. The key start on the 3000, plus larger fuel tank and having all the amps needed in one package was an easy decision. The 3000i also can be wired with a remote start, so you need not go out to get it going. We dry camp as much as wet, and before we put our solar up, I would get 5 days out of the tank just to charge the batteries.It is larger and heavier but sounds like your going to set it up in a box, so that shouldnt be a concern. Lastly two stock 2000 will not run as long as one 3000 on fuel.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use 2 Honda EU2000i's. One is the "Companion" model which comes with the 30A connection.

I have 2 of these, instead of 1 EU3000i because I can get the 2k's out of the truck. I couldn't begin to get the 3k model out.

I can't leave the 3k in the truck and use it there, because 1) Sometimes the truck can't be kept right in front of the trailer, 2) my sleeping quarters are at the front of the trailer, and 3) sometimes I need to use the truck to go places, but still need to keep the AC going.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

rickhise
Explorer
Explorer
I have Honda 2k use it weekly on houseboat, it's bullet proof, there may be 3-5 HB's parked together ever week all use the similar set up. Once in a great while a fuel setiment is an issue, I use the snake oil product Extron fuel stabilizer its cured 100%
Of my small engine fuel issues with our unleaded gas

I did try making a shore cover box from a large tote put 4 floor vent registers around it to eliminate some of the heat, It's handy to cover the unit in sever rain and makes a nice storage container in the hull. Maybe a little help on the db level. Could help on quite time hours

The conversion honda gas tank caps to run a extra tank are down to under 15$ on Amazon go the extra an get a quick release for fuel line at the Honda end well worth it. I easily get 3 -4 full
Days on an extra 6 gallon tank. That includes throwing 10 amps back in my AGMs bank

one pull start is normal

If. Your still reading my neighbor, his wife will say the gen isn't running his reply I know. Her. Is it out of gas, not sure it could be gas or oil I'll check.
No not me at 13.5 ounces mine is getting change ever two wk ends.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
BPRescue wrote:
As for my usage, it has to be quiet, dependable and last; which I believe pushes me towards Honda. While I do want the ability to run a 13.5K AC unit during some days, most often I won't need that since I typically go into the high country.

Why not just invest in one EU2000i (or Companion if that's your preference) plus a MicroAir Easy Start Soft Starter Kit and pass on the second genset. You can always buy a second later should it prove necessary - unlikely judging by reports from those who've already done it.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have 3 Honda 2ks. Talk about power and redundancy!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

rstanek
Explorer
Explorer
I have two Honda 3000i Handi, easy to handle, paralleled them , they run my 15k ac on eco mode.
2007 Eagle 322FKS
2015 Chev Silverado 6.0 4:10