cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator Question...which one?

Tikkamike
Explorer
Explorer
I recently bought my first camper..or travel trailer.. not sure what the correct lingo is... Anyways its a 2000 22' Terry. It has A/C fridge microwave and all the stuff I think they all come with standard. I am trying to figure out 2 things. First.. What size generator do I need to run everything? and Secondly what generator do I buy? I am not going to spend thousands on a generator, I wont be spending much time in camp grounds this is mainly for hunting so itll be finding a flat spot out in the hills/mtns and setting up. I would like the generator to be as quiet as possible but im not willing to pay honda prices.. my main concern is a good and adequate generator.
32 REPLIES 32

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
To run your TT elec. in cowboy country you will need a 3k output because of the elevation.My 2k Honda is laboring running the Microwave in Pinedale at Lake Freemont. Because you are "Boondocking" you can get by with a contractor type genny, if you get a deal on an inverter type grab it.

Redterpos3
Explorer
Explorer
anyone know anything about the sportsman brand?
The Travelin' Terrapins!
2016 Ford F-350 SRW;CC;4x4;172WB;6.7PSD;34,000m
2011 Nash 27T 12,995m
2013 Yr1 30nts 3150m
2014 Yr2 52nts 3365m
2015 yr3 25nts 2260m
2016 yr4 46nts 2500m
2017 yr5 24nts 1720m
2018 yr6 4nts 30m

Tikkamike
Explorer
Explorer
JiminDenver wrote:
Tikkamike wrote:
I ordered the A generator from cabelas today
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Outdoorsman-Generator/1837234.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D%26No%3D0%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DGenerator%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTpageType%3Dsearch%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26nl%3Dtrue%26recordsPerPage%3D18%26search%3DSearch%26searchTypeByFilter%3DAllProducts%26infiniteScrollType%3Dproduct&No=0&Ntt=Generator
It's the same as the champion 3500 weekender it was on sale for $300 just has some green paint and the cabelas name on it. I picked that one because of the great reviews of the champion but figured with the word cabelas on it if something not covered by warranty it would be more likely cabelas would take care of me.

I do plan to use this trailer throughout the summer for search & rescue, spring bear season and maybe a couple family outings. So as long as I was buying a generator I figured I should get one that will run it all if needed. Thanks for the help everyone

If I may make a suggestion. I have the Champion version of the 3500/4000. The Cabelas version you ordered is a 240v/120v version and the newer 120v only versions have a much cleaner output than the older version. So if you can switch, it may do better for you.

Other than that, the 3500/4000 will do you well. it has the power to run our AC at altitude which the other options listed here just can't. Sound wise I'm told it is compatible to two 2000w inverter units in parallel running a AC. We picked up the remote start version on sale for $425 and it sure is nice not having to go out and fire it up and plug in every time. They do make a sound tent for them that will knock some of the noise off but I never got one since we don't camp around others.

I got ahold of cabelas and made the switch on your recommendation. Thanks

TInmania
Explorer
Explorer
llberge wrote:
Costco has the Champion 3100 on sale for $699. It's black, but it has the same running gear as the yellow one sold on Amazon for $769. I called Champion last night and they said that it is a newer model. Many reviews say that it will run a 15000 btu AC.

Costco Champion

Great deal. That appears to have covers over the receptacles whereas the yellow model does not.

Alas no Cosco membership since we only have a Sam's club close by. Still, the cost of membership would make it akin to Cabela's offer and get a Cosco membership to boot, for when near one or online.

Michael

llberge
Explorer
Explorer
Costco has the Champion 3100 on sale for $699. It's black, but it has the same running gear as the yellow one sold on Amazon for $769. I called Champion last night and they said that it is a newer model. Many reviews say that it will run a 15000 btu AC.

Costco Champion
2017 Sunseeker MBS 2400R

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has anyone yet developed an extended run fuel tank for two Champions to draw from? If not, that is the biggest draw back with the Champions.

Dakota98 wrote:
You will need at minimum 3000/4000 watt generator, but the best way to accomplish this is with 2-2000 watt genny's that are connected together.

This will give you the option of using just one or both as needed, & makes it easy to move around. They are about 45# each.

In consideration of cost, I recommend Champion. They are a very good product, dependable, great customer service, & parts are easy to find.

Start your search HERE. They offer 2- 2000 watt each with parallel kit & two covers "refurbs" as low as $819, free shipping.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

bradyk
Explorer
Explorer
From my own experience:
I first bought the Champion 3500-4000w open frame when it first came out and still have it. It has been a great machine and as the OP asks it basically runs everything for $400 or so. Downside is it is loud so we only use it when boondocking out in the mountains and set it a ways away from the trailer.

I also have a pair of the Champion 2000w inverter gennys. Much quieter and can run them right beside the trailer or from the back of the truck and you can hardly hear them running. I can also link them together and basically go into run everything mode. We hardly use the AC so very seldom we even take 2 of them out with us. Most of the time a single unit does the job for reheating stuff, electric kettle, toaster, charging batteries etc. At 60 lbs ea it is a lot easier on the back and one person can easily load it into the truck where the big one I need help.

Since I bought mine the Champion 3100 has come out. I don't have any personal experience but a friend we camp with has one and I probably would have bought that unit if it was available instead of the 3500w open unit. it is twice the price but is an inverter unit, nice and quiet, not too bad for weight but probably would use 2 to load. Does not quite have enough juice to to the run everything mode but you can run substantially more than a 2000w unit.

Champion makes a good product and they also have great service too if you need it. You just have to figure out what works best for you especially if you are not going with a red or blue unit. Lots of off brand that all look the same but be careful you don't get stuck with something that there is no help or service/parts out there.
2001 Chevrolet 2500hd Silverado LT 4x4 6.0L/4.10
2005 KZ Outdoorsmen 2605PF
Equal-i-zer 10K WDH
Champion 4000W Generator
Champion 2000W Generator x 2
Ken & Sandra
Yugi Dog, Jet Dog

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Tikkamike wrote:

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "cleaner output"?

The scope of the sine wave of the 120v only version is as smooth as a inverter generator, the scope of the 240/120v is jagged and has multiple peaks. Somethings like chargers and electronics run much better on the cleaner wave.

I have had both versions of the 3500/4000. The biggest difference between them is when running the microwave. The 120v version holds at 120v, the dual voltage unit would run the microwave but put a meter on it and the volts dropped below 100v. Both run the AC just fine.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

TInmania
Explorer
Explorer
JiminDenver wrote:
If I may make a suggestion. I have the Champion version of the 3500/4000. The Cabelas version you ordered is a 240v/120v version and the newer 120v only versions have a much cleaner output than the older version. So if you can switch, it may do better for you.

Other than that, the 3500/4000 will do you well. it has the power to run our AC at altitude which the other options listed here just can't. Sound wise I'm told it is compatible to two 2000w inverter units in parallel running a AC. We picked up the remote start version on sale for $425 and it sure is nice not having to go out and fire it up and plug in every time. They do make a sound tent for them that will knock some of the noise off but I never got one since we don't camp around others.

Cabelas also has the Champion 4000 Weekender Package for $299... 120v only.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Champion-3500-Watt-Generator-Weekender-Package/909433.uts

Of course if the OP needs 240v then all is good as-is.

Oh and Cabelas has the Champion 3100 inverter on sale for just $749. That is a great price!

Michael

Tikkamike
Explorer
Explorer
JiminDenver wrote:
Tikkamike wrote:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Outdoorsman-Generator/1837234.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D%26No%3D0%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DGenerator%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTpageType%3Dsearch%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26nl%3Dtrue%26recordsPerPage%3D18%26search%3DSearch%26searchTypeByFilter%3DAllProducts%26infiniteScrollType%3Dproduct&No=0&Ntt=Generator
It's the same as the champion 3500 weekender it was on sale for $300 just has some green paint and the cabelas name on it. I picked that one because of the great reviews of the champion but figured with the word cabelas on it if something not covered by warranty it would be more likely cabelas would take care of me.

I do plan to use this trailer throughout the summer for search & rescue, spring bear season and maybe a couple family outings. So as long as I was buying a generator I figured I should get one that will run it all if needed. Thanks for the help everyone

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "cleaner output"?

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Tikkamike wrote:

2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
stevec22 wrote:
Dog Trainer wrote:
I have the champion 3100 I bought it at Lowes for 845.00 They advertise it in the online cat. The sales person had to look it up and order it Lowes shipped to my home. As a Veteran I use my Vet ID to get and additional 10% off. The champion 3100 is quiet and for light use has a quiet mode. It also had a 30 plug in and a battery charge circuit. I think it is a nice unit for the price.

Yes it will run a 15,000 btu ac no problem. It will switch to the regular mode as opposed to the quiet feature. I thought about the 2 4000 watt but decided to go with the 3100. I live in a climate where the AC is needed but not as much as the south or south west. Really im most cases I could get by with no Gen.

Does the Champion 3100 let you run the AC without straining?

I am debating whether to get two 2000 watt generators or one 3k.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

Tikkamike
Explorer
Explorer

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use my TT while hunting. The only thing you really need the Gen for is the AC or microwave.

I've only used the microwave once. They really just aren't necessary. As for AC, well, I hunt in fall/winter. So don't need it.

In that case, I get by with a little 2000 watt Honda just for battery charging. There's also the option of a larger battery bank if you're talking extended times. Otherwise, just charge the battery every other day or so and you'll be fine.

If you really need the AC, then you need a Gen. Out in the forest with no neighbors, the loud heavy ones aren't bad as long as it's either mounted or someone can help lift it in and out of a truck.

For these minimal needs, the cheaper 4000 watt Champions are fine