cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator question

MFOX
Explorer
Explorer
Since we are new to the travel trailer world we never needed a generator with our pop-up, but think of one for the trailer. What is the wattage I would need to charge my battery? We don't do a lot of dry camping but when we do it would be nice to run lights and heat if necessary. Let me know what you think
MFox
Wonderful DH
Three kids:)
Daughter 99
Sons 01 & 05
Four rescue dogs who are wonderful!
25 REPLIES 25

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
My sons up in hunting camp right now using a little 1200 watt 2 cycle generator he bought new for $135.. It purrs like a kitten and he only used it to watch movies/lights and charge the battery... We have a lot of chainsaws so 2 cycle is no big deal. Same mixture as the saws.

About the cost of one RV battery.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

rustycopperball
Explorer
Explorer
red, blue, or yellow pick a color

Tystevens
Explorer
Explorer
We like our little Champion 2000w inverter. Runs everything but the AC on our TT without issue. It was under $500 at Sams Club (this was a few years ago, no idea on pricing now), and is just as quiet and (so far) reliable as the more popular ones costing over twice as much.

We don't use it a lot, so I'm glad we didn't invest a lot of $$ in the blue or red ones. But it has been nice to have on a couple occasions.
2008 Hornet Hideout 27B
2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, Z71 package, 5.3/6A/3.42
2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2.7 Ecoboost/6A/3.55 LS

Prior TVs:
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 LT, 5.3/4A/4.10

Idaho33
Explorer
Explorer
We got a champion 3500w generator for under $500. Now I know this isn't ideal and it is pretty loud but it fits our needs. It will run the a/c, microwave, and charge the batteries. It was the low cost way to go and we don't need it very often. In the rare occasion that we do want to run the a/c and escape the mid day heat you really can't hear it inside the trailer with the air running. We just upgraded to a 2 6v system and I am very impressed so far. I will add that we almost exclusively boondock and we always try to be by ourselves if possible. So if we do need to run the geni it only bugs us. It is not usually hot enough to need the a/c (we tend to seek high altitude in the summer), and we really do not use the microwave. I would not want to run the thing often in a campsite. We recently had an experience where someone pulled up near us in a disperssed site on a weekday after we were there (we expected to be all alone), and they ran a very loud generator for 21 hours straight. That was VERY annoying.
2011 4x4 F150 Screw W/5.0
2012 Springdale 189fl

APT
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:

It is far cheaper to beef up the battery bank than to buy a generator. You may wish to add a small inverter (300 watts) to do things such as charge laptop batteries and cell phones.

I agree with the first sentence but not the second. Convert DC to AC (inverter) just to change different DC batteries? Get 12V DC to whatever other DC voltage charger you need. Much more efficient.

A pair of golf cart batteries should last someone a long weekend, 3-4 days, and a week for someone being careful. This assumes fridge is running of propane.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
My two centavos:

Need A/C? Look at a 3000 watt inverter, or two Honda eu2000i models paired up.

No A/C needed? For maximum versatility, I'd recommend a Honda eu2000i, because another can be added, or a high-draw appliance like a 1200 watt microwave or an electric space heater used.

No A/C needed, and one only needs basic charging? A Honda eu1000i or similar.

As for solar, it is more of a "why not use it" as opposed to "why use it" these days. It isn't too expensive, and the price/watt of panels is pretty good these days.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFOX wrote:
What about solar, does anyone use those.
Never heard of it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Solar is wonderful IF you camp in the right conditions. For a low power user a simple and inexpensive plug and play portable kit may be all that's needed. To really do it right requires understanding your needs and how solar fills them as part of a balanced system that includes extra battery for when the clouds come for a short time and a alternate means of charging for when the clouds stay too long.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

My solar system meets all my needs except for air conditioning. I hope to upgrade it to take care of the air as well.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
For less than the price of two RV batteries you can get a brand new 1500 watt Champion generator delivered to your door or if you want super quiet, Honda/Yamaha and Champion make some nice 1-2k watt generators from about $500 up.

All good choices for running stuff off the grid.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
The others are right, a 1000-2000w generator will do what the OP ask. Then again for the occasional dry trip with low power usage, I bet the OP already has what they need. A pair of heavy jumper cables. Turn that truck around and run it for a hour or so when the battery starts getting low and you will be fine. A few cheap LED light in place of the most used bulbs would be good too.

Not that any of the other advice is wrong mind you. They are spot on if you really want to set up a dry camping rig. Ours is set up that way and we never have hook ups nor run a generator to charge up the batteries. Unfortunately since we keep one for AC if needed and ultimately as a back up, I have to run it monthly, change the oil, make sure the gas is fresh, store it and make room for it and it's stinky gas can every time we go.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
we use a eu1000, works for us--now its all happy-camping

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Downloadable spreadsheet calculator for solar, power use, and battery sizing

You really need to calculate your power usage before sizing anything 12v electrical for your TT. From those numbers you can choose amount of battery storage and what charging methods are best for your situation.

FWIW, I have 235 W of solar panel and it takes care of all my needs except air conditioning and microwave. It also runs my 120V dorm fridge when away from shore power. I use a 1000 W Xantrex inverter and that handles all of my 120 V needs.

Replacing incandescent (standard) interior lighting over to LED lighting is one of the best modifications you can do to save power, they operate at 1/5 the draw of typical incandescents.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton