cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generators and more

Huckster1037
Explorer
Explorer
Hi e'one! Newbie and already had some great help on my first question on here. A few other q's now. First, I have a 2005 Silverado 2500, Allison trans, 4.10 rear end, and just bought a 2012 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28bh. Didn't opt for the pwr awning, jacks - my take on things is less to break. Did get the 4 point WD hitch/sway bars - some of what I read here says that is overkill, but I'm OK with that in these areas. Question #1 - what db noise level should I look for in a gen? I will be in a dry camp for a week at Quartzite the middle of Jan. One deraler says I really need a 30 amp output, but I am thinking that most of the time I will be on shore power and mainly need to keep batteries charged if parked for a few days. What mattage will I need? May be underestimating, but I don't forsee needing a/c except on shore power. Of course, my wife may disagree on that :). Thanks for the help and info I am getting here!! Mark
28 REPLIES 28

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
browntljm wrote:
We are considering a small generator, as we are planning on camping in Federal and state parks that have no electrical hookups. We have a Heartland Bighorn Fifth wheel 3070rl, we don't run the air conditioner. The main 120v electrical uses would be, the TV for area weather, blow dryer, toaster, hot water heater just to heat up occasionally, refrig, recharge the phones. Would the 2000 watt work for our needs? we would not be using everything at the same time.

There isn't and exact answer to your question because of your DC converter. My bighorn has a PD9280 DC converter, capable of putting out 80 amps DC. It actually has a 20 amp ac cord/plug rather than a 15 amp. While mine rarely puts out a full 80 amps DC to the batteries, depending on state of charge of the batteries, it can easily be drawing 500 watts. Most 2000 watt inverter generators are only rated for 1600 watts continuous, and you will probably find you can't even pull that much at altitude. My Microwave draws right at 1500 watts, and most hairdryers are 1600 watts, although I managed to find a 1200 watt unit for the wife she is happy with.

Bottom line, unless you're batteries are pretty much already fully charged, a 2000 watt generator might not run your microwave if it's a high power draw unit or a hairdryer unless you turn off the DC converter/charger, and possibly other AC items. Even then, you might have issues at altitude. Non Ethanol gas will gain you a little extra power, equivalent to maybe 1,500 feet of altitude or so as will an altitude jet for the carb if you're at high altitude.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

chr_
Explorer
Explorer
skipnchar wrote:
If all you want is to charge your batteries then a 1,000 amp gen will serve you just fine. It won't run the AC or Microwave however so if you plan on doing any of that you'll need more power.

1,000 AMPS? I think you meant Watts. 😉

FYI, two EU2000i's will not restart a 13.5K AC unit on a 100+ degree day. Been there, done that.
-CHR$
1996 Safari Sahara Edition 35' Diesel Pusher. Just getting the Solar stuff started.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
browntljm wrote:
We are considering a small generator, as we are planning on camping in Federal and state parks that have no electrical hookups. We have a Heartland Bighorn Fifth wheel 3070rl, we don't run the air conditioner. The main 120v electrical uses would be, the TV for area weather, blow dryer, toaster, hot water heater just to heat up occasionally, refrig, recharge the phones. Would the 2000 watt work for our needs? we would not be using everything at the same time.

Can't imagine why you'd run the water heater on electric and not gas, likewise there's no need to run the fridge on 120 vac either assuming it's a gas absorption model. Sure, a 2K genset would serve to power a toaster or hair dryer or 120 vac televsion but so too would an inverter, provided you have sufficient battery reserve to power it. Since you say you don't ever plan to run A/C then it would seem you'd really only need a genset for recharging your batteries, in which case a 2K would be quite sufficient.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

browntljm
Explorer
Explorer

Ken_O
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Yamaha 2400EI and it runs my AC, and I would guess most 13.5s. Just have to make sure the fridge is on propane, if its on auto, it will go to electric and it uses quite a bit of juice. Same with the hot water heater. The generator will not run the AC if either of those are on auto or electric.
Silverado 250HD '07 Duramax
2017 Jayflight 21QB

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Yamaha sine wave inverter 2000w ultra quiet, light weight, and sips fuel. I use it for charging, and microwave use only. Best $1k upgrade. The ac is not an issUE with our hybrid. Bunks fans, roof fan, super high wind gizmos, and huge screen tent windows keep it cool in direct sunlight 90 degree temps.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Goldstalker
Explorer
Explorer
Huckster1037 wrote:
Getting a lot of good info - I appreciate everyone taking the time to help! Searching and listening, I think I am looking at 2 Champion 73538i 2000w Inverters, parallel. rated at 53 db, says up to 9.5 hrs runtime @ 25% load. I can get the setup for about $1000, refurb. Thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-73538i-Champion-2000w-Inverter-Generator-Manufacturer-Refurbished-/2712817...
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3.73
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
2-2012 Yamaha VX Deluxe
2012 Toyota Highlander

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
There are many here that use the Champion 2000 units and are really happy with them. There is also a large thread under the title of Champion 2000 that discusses them.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I have learned anything about generators and I have had a bunch,it's don't believe it untill you see it.I had a 4000 Watt Yamaha non inverter/electric start..It would not run my 13,500 btu air conditioner in hot weather,above 90 degree's in my 34' Terry...My 3000 watt Honda does so far in my newer TT and did in my 35' Jayco fifth wheel..Go figure.

I have a Dewalt 110 volt air compressor that none of my generators will run,including my 4000 watt generac.The surge is to high yet it works on 110 pugged in.

If I was to buy another generator that I have not owned in the past,I would not buy one untill I talked to someone who has owned it and used it as I would.

Good luck on your choice..I have 5 generators right now and know the ups and downs of all I own...The Honda's rule for what I use a generator for and I use them alot living off the grid for most of the year.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Huckster1037
Explorer
Explorer
Getting a lot of good info - I appreciate everyone taking the time to help! Searching and listening, I think I am looking at 2 Champion 73538i 2000w Inverters, parallel. rated at 53 db, says up to 9.5 hrs runtime @ 25% load. I can get the setup for about $1000, refurb. Thoughts?

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huckster

I have both the 2000 Honda and the 3000 Honda..The 2000 watt Honda gets by far the most use..It runs everything on my RV including the air conditioner fan and microwave...If we need the air conditioner(13,500 btu) we then resort to the 3000 watt honda, which handles it fine.

Being an old logger, I understand the need sometime to spend less but in the case of generators(like chainsaws) by the best you can afford and you will never regret it.

Good luck on your choice.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have 2 Honda 2000i's. Twined, they will run my 13.5k AC. When I don't need AC, I'll just run one, on eco. Very economical over a weekend. I just attach the extended run tank and don't have to refuel.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

BobnKris
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Yamaha 2400 and purchased it with the expectation it would run the AC if needed. It has NOT been able to consistently start either of the 13.5 ACs I've used it for. I'm adding a capacitor to the AC, and hopefully it will remedy the problem, but if money were no issue and I were to do it again, I'd go with two (parallel ability) 2000s. Although the total weight of the two generators is slightly more than the 2400, it allows easier portability (per generator) when the need for extra power isn't needed. Other than the disappointment of it not being able to start my AC, I have been very happy with the Yamaha.
2022 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins
2022 Grand Design 31MB

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
Without knowing what he will use the generator for, I can only say the red honda, blue yamaha or yellow champion inverter types, 2000 watt series, will be the quietest and lightest for normal use. Somewhere around 53 db at idle.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0