cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GM HD Trucks Many with AWD instead of 4WD

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Where snow and mud isn't an issue, you can have a 4X2 truck as your tow vehicle, but here in the Northeast, 4X4 trucks are the norm. Now GM is offering AWD instead of 4WD in many of their HD trucks. At least up here, I'm seeing most HD trucks with the AWD option. I'm not so sure that's a good idea in my neck of the woods. What are your thoughts?
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
106 REPLIES 106

ExxWhy
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.sarchionechevrolet.com/search/new-chevrolet-silverado-2500hd-randolph-oh/?cy=44265&md=71&tp=new

About 160 miles from you, they have 17 in stock. Did you try searching on autotrader or cars . com ?

gattorgetter
Explorer
Explorer
We are running 6 days a week, 24 hrs a day. Once parts get a little more stable, I'm sure we will be at 7 days a week.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
The way I see it....I hopefully will be able to find a truck at the right price that fits my needs. If it has the normal 4WD, that's fine, If it has the Auto option that's fine too now that I understand it. There aren't many trucks out there right now. At least not in the Northeast. I'll buy one if the deal is right. I haven't found a dealer that has more than 3-4 HD trucks on their lots. It's a very unique and difficult time to buy a truck. I will say this....I kind of like doing the negotiation dance from the comfort of my house. The process is a little slower because you don't get that one on one relationship but I don't have to walk out the door, I don't have to "talk things over with my wife", I can have several negotiations going at the same time, pit one dealer against the other in real time with real invoices etc. 100% no pressure on my end. Just think how much fuel I already saved LOL

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
I’ve seen those 4WD trucks with an AWD setting. They have clutches inside which have no business inside an HD T-case!

Skip the AWD T-case and get a standard 2hi, 4hi, N 4lo.

Because we know a high percentage of HD truck owners are rock crawling in their spare time. Or is more likely just trying to get off the wet grass. Pays to be realistic how the majority actually use the vehicles.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I’ve seen those 4WD trucks with an AWD setting. They have clutches inside which have no business inside an HD T-case!

Skip the AWD T-case and get a standard 2hi, 4hi, N 4lo.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
The 2020 GM HD trucks have available automatic 4WD (high range) mode. This is still a 2-speed transfer case with 2WD, Auto/4WDHi locked, and 4WD Low locked. I have something similar in my Suburban and many many of the half tons have had it for 20 years.

I use 4WD auto when the roads are partially snow covered for improved stability with the ability to turn on pavement without damage and binding.

I also have found the auto setting perfect for regular over the road driving in snow. The ability of 4x4 when slipping and no 4x4 push when making those sharper 90 degree turns.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
THe 2020 GM HD trucks have availible automatic 4WD (high range) mode. This is still a 2-speed transfer case with 2WD, Auto/4WDHi locked, and 4WD Low locked. I have something similar in my Suburban and many many of the half tons have had it for 20 years.

I use 4WD auto when the roads are partially snow covered for improved stability with the ability to turn on pavement without damage and binding.

Thanks APT.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
The 2020 GM HD trucks have available automatic 4WD (high range) mode. This is still a 2-speed transfer case with 2WD, Auto/4WDHi locked, and 4WD Low locked. I have something similar in my Suburban and many many of the half tons have had it for 20 years.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
gattorgetter wrote:
Still working on that info for ya... had to take some time off work today to deal with ins company about my 2020 and boat.... what a mess!
No worries. I appreciate you checking things for me.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
ExxWhy wrote:
11,350 is the standard GVWR for a 2500 with the diesel. 10K is an option for those who need it. Just looked at mine again to confirm, 6600 RAWR, payload 3077 and this truck has everything but a sunroof.

Supply is tight, but there are some trucks out there. Are you willing to do a road trip to buy one?

For a fair deal, I would definitely travel a reasonable distance (200-300 miles). I tried to make a deal with one dealership in Conneaut Ohio which is about 100 miles from me. They weren't even interested in talking when I told them what others had offered up to that point. They said, "We can't get close to those numbers" and the numbers weren't even the best I've received since!

gattorgetter
Explorer
Explorer
Still working on that info for ya... had to take some time off work today to deal with ins company about my 2020 and boat.... what a mess!

ExxWhy
Explorer
Explorer
11,350 is the standard GVWR for a 2500 with the diesel. 10K is an option for those who need it. Just looked at mine again to confirm, 6600 RAWR, payload 3077 and this truck has everything but a sunroof.

Supply is tight, but there are some trucks out there. Are you willing to do a road trip to buy one?

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
Well that stinks! Do you recall what's on the lot by me?

No but the Truck Sales Manager I've been working with has been on his computer checking with all dealerships within 250 miles of Buffalo so I'm sure he knows what they have. I asked him about several different trucks over the past couple of weeks. Sometimes he would say "that one is sold" even though it's listed for sale on that dealerships website. He has much better info than I can get. Funny though. He has inside dealer info but he has no clue where the truck is that's "in Transit" or maybe he does and there's some reason other than what he's telling me why he can't or won't sell it to me.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
Back to Square one. Deal cancelled. The dealership that has the truck can't come to agreement on a dealer trade with the dealership I'm working with. Ughhh!

Well that stinks! Do you recall what's on the lot by me?
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Back to Square one. Deal cancelled. The dealership that has the truck can't come to agreement on a dealer trade with the dealership I'm working with. Ughhh!