cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GM vs Ford tow off. Who will win on the Ike?

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Spoiler alert: Ram/Cummins won, and it wasn't even entered in the towing event. :?

Towing the Ike. The worlds toughest towing test.

I wish they would have done this in Jan or Feb when the temp was about 15 degrees or less. Or in Aug when the temp is 95. At least they towed an average trailer that some RV'er in the US would tow with their 1/2 ton truck.

It's also good they talked about energy density and that it held "4 gallons of fuel." It's also good to know that these little tiny trucks and trailers got about 3/4 of a mile per KWH of energy used. :E

In any event I thought it was a pretty good test in which the towing public can see how capable these vehicles are.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln
30 REPLIES 30

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I would go vintage before a CTD.

If I see your PW with a CTD at a car show I am sure that will look cool too.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
NO an EV conversion would NOT be cool! A Cummins 6BT 12 Valve conversion would be COOL!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Old Power Wagon might be fun

EV conversion would be cool too.

A couple similar trucks crossed the auction block at Barrett Jackson last year. I really like that body style, and if I could afford one, I’d love to have one in my garage. But I would want mine with a CTD.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
When they can get an EV to the same capability, range, comfort and price point as my F-250 7.3 L gas, without having to wait 30 min to charge, then maybe we can talk. Till then, I'll see you in my mirror.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Old Power Wagon might be fun

EV conversion would be cool too.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
DODGE trucks have not been made since model year 2012.

And why was that?
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"I won't sit in s Dodge though"

Maybe try a RAM as DODGE trucks have not been made since model year 2012.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

specta
Explorer
Explorer
If I bought a new truck I'd buy the one that was most comfortable to sit in, not the one with the most power.

These days they all have plenty pf power.

I won't sit in s Dodge though. 😉
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
time2roll wrote:
Just ordinary click bait.

Well, your definition of click bait is about as obtuse as the guy who asked if these were hybrids.
That, and you are mis using the terminology….
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

blt2ski
opnspaces wrote:
So are these ICE trucks, or Hybrid trucks or full electric trucks? Sorry I have a tough time watching most Youtube videos as they want to talk and talk and talk aiming for that magic 20 minute mark instead of just giving you the information.

Most don't also have CC, so semi deaf folks like me can't hear what they are saying?

No I have not looked at video!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Fisherman wrote:
What gets me is why people get their undies in such a tight knot over trivial stuff like a few miles an hour going up a hill a lot will either avoid or never see. It's like sports, why people pay so much money to see games. Games were invented during the Roman times to keep the minds of the peasants from thinking how bad the times were becoming while the aristocrats were dining on fine foods and booze. As long as your tow vehicle gets you there and back, why add the ego factor just to try and outdo the Jones and Smiths.

Lol. Did you even watch the video? Because that isn’t what this is about…..
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
What gets me is why people get their undies in such a tight knot over trivial stuff like a few miles an hour going up a hill a lot will either avoid or never see. It's like sports, why people pay so much money to see games. Games were invented during the Roman times to keep the minds of the peasants from thinking how bad the times were becoming while the aristocrats were dining on fine foods and booze. As long as your tow vehicle gets you there and back, why add the ego factor just to try and outdo the Jones and Smiths.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Spoiler alert: Ram/Cummins won, and it wasn't even entered in the towing event. :?
I had no idea RAM had an electric truck.
Does Cummins make just the electric motors or the batteries too?

You might to go 29.45 and see how the vote goes and then see who they say the winner is at about 30.05.
Sorry Time. They said Ram/Cummins won......I guess you could say the write in vote won and Ram/Cummins wasn't even in the race!

But no worries. The 621 mile 500KWH Semi is finally going to come out in about 6 weeks. :E:E:E
Or is it? :B:B:B...Time will tell......:B
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln