cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gmc 1/2 Ton Yukon 4x4 & Nash 17k

SamCol
Explorer
Explorer
Newbie here. I have a 07 Gmc Yukon SLT 4x4 V8 3.73 Tow Package/Tow Haul. Payload 1523# Hitch wt. 1000# with WDH. Tow Rating 7200#. FRT Axel 3600# Rear Axel 4100#. I am looking at the Nash 17k. Dry wt. approx. 3537# factory rep said about 4500# with good amount of options. Cargo capacity 2963#. GVWR 7000# Length 22' 4" approx. with hitch. It will be just me most of the time. Lot's of mountain and desert driving. . I can not imagine I would load this unit to the max. If it is 4500# dry plus 1000# cargo at 13% I'm at 715 hitch wt. That leaves me 808# for myself,fuel,wdh,misc.I know this is doable, but I don't want the white knuckle, wish I had not done this experience. Should I buy a good 1/2 ton truck? Not interested in 3/4 or 1 ton. Any advice appreciated.:?
12 REPLIES 12

Ctimrun
Explorer
Explorer
If you do end up looking at 1/2 ton trucks be sure to pay very close attention to the actual payload rating numbers on the yellow sticker on each specific truck, and not brochure weights. Many half tons have pretty low payload numbers. We had a 15 F150 (with tow package) that had 1216 pounds posted on the yellow sticker which in my opinion is very weak for any "tow vehicle".

SamCol
Explorer
Explorer
Huckleberry, Tks for the info.I do not plan on anything over 17-22'for my needs. Fact is if I don't buy the tt I will buy a FWC Hawk Truck Camper. The only truck on my list now is the Toyota Tundra DBL 4x4 5.7. 10 1/2" ring gear and 4.30 rear axel ratio. Good to know about the uphill with the 3.73 as I do a lot of mountain driving.

HuckleberryHunt
Explorer
Explorer
Like others mentioned, your Yukon will handle that trailer. The downside will probably be that it may be a lite squirrelly due to the short wheelbase and you will probably not have much power going up any steep or long inclines.
I have a 25' TT that's about 5500 loaded pulled by a 2003 Silverado 1500 extended cab pickup with with a tow package and 3:73 gearing, with WD hitch and sway bar. Pulls and handles just fine. Feels rock solid going down the road. However, long inclines or mountain passes really suck the wind out of it. We always make it to our destination, but it takes patience sometimes. I really wish I had a 3/4 when I'm in those situations! So, a 1/2 ton truck might be a slight upgrade, but the longer wheelbase might be the biggest benefit. FWIW. Good luck!
2019 Outdoors RV 21DBS
2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Equalizer 4-point WDH

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
If your pretty settled on the camper that u now have then a 1/2 ton truck or the current TV will do fine. However if you have any interest in going to a different camper within a few years, then I suggest finding that camper now and getting the truck to match it. U can always buy the truck that u need now and when its paid for then upgrade to the camper that u were wanting all along. That's just my thoughts, however....... I'm not an advocate of going into large piles of debt if your happy with what u currently own and it fits ur needs. For a lot of weekend warriors out there, the newer 1/2 ton trucks are great. I went heavier due to the fact my camper weighs a lot. I don't camp all the time as I would like to, but my 3/4 ton truck gets used for other things as well and is not always my DD. Good luck on your search, keep the above in mind as your looking around.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
SamCol wrote:
Everyone, Thanks for your input. Helped me make up my mind. I am going to look at some 1/2 ton trucks,:)

Be careful looking at 1/2 ton trucks. You may not gain much in payload. Watch rear axle ratio in combination with transmission. A 6 sp with 3.42 would be good. A 6 sp with 3.08 is only rated to ~6500 towing.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

SamCol
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone, Thanks for your input. Helped me make up my mind. I am going to look at some 1/2 ton trucks,:)

martinto
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 08 Yukon Denali. GM intro the 6 speed in 08 on Denali. 6.2 L rated at 7900 lb towing. I pull a 31 ft Apex Ulta Light...dry at 5400lbs, est loaded at 6200 lbs. WDH and sway control. I frequent the NC mountains with no problem. Always use tow haul when towing. My only drawback is SWB and payload at about 1350. I pull out the 3rd row seating and travel light. Considering upgrade to a pick up that has a longer wheel base and more payload...based on our desire to go cross country.

You are good to go if vehicle is well maintained, dialed in for towing and don't exceed payload. Happy Trails!

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
As said, you'll be fine. Well within your specs and since you are mostly alone it's not likely you'd ever come close to eating up the CC of your truck.

kw/00 wrote:
Is your SUV a long wheel base? If so that would be better.

It's a Tahoe, so no, SWB. Suburban is long wheel base.

kw/00 wrote:

Also if u have the 6 speed over the 4 that would give u overall a better towing experience as far as gearing goes.

That's true but the 6 speed was not introduced until 2010. I wish I had one for the reason you stated! 😞
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a good combo. Change all the fluids in the Tahoe. Use Tow/Haul mode and probably lock out 4th gear/overdrive. Get a weight distributing hitch with integrated sway control. Get a proportional brake controller such as Tekonsha Prodigy (P2/P3).
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
You do need a good weight distribution & anti-sway hitch, like an Equalizer. You will be fine with that. Trailer sounds like a good match for your vehicle.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Well it sounds like what u have should be good to go. Is your SUV a long wheel base? If so that would be better. Also if u have the 6 speed over the 4 that would give u overall a better towing experience as far as gearing goes. Regardless it sounds like to me ur good to go. If u ever decide to go to a new 1500 series truck, then look for one that has more payload if u ever decide to go larger in the camper dept down the road. But for what u have here, appears that u should have no issues. Good luck and enjoy camping!
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Hideout17
Explorer
Explorer
I have a tundrA with our 26rls. 6400 empty not sure loaded prob 7200 wish. Total at scales is 13,500 and pulls with no problem. I did have to upgrade tires to E rated but D rated would probably be fine.