cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GMC 2500HD instead of a Ford F250 for our 5th wheel...

Jim102
Explorer
Explorer
OK, went out today wanting to get a Ford 250 to tow our Highland Ridge 5th wheeler LF315BHS, with a weight of 8900LBS. Now, the F250 only (in our opinion) rides conformable if it is the Lariat edition ....The Lariat is also to expensive. So, how does the GMC 2500HD stack up against the F250, for towing that 5th wheel?

Thanks,

Jim
2018 Jayco Precept 29V Class A
Air Force 1969 - 1973
31 REPLIES 31

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
GeoBoy wrote:
According to a GM engineer the GMC's are a little quieter and a better trim level, comparing a WT to a base Sierra in the HD trucks.

No, not quieter... You get the upper level Denali trim with the GMC but other than that trucks are identical mechanically and built in the SAME assembly line with the same workers.

Chevy High country is equiv to the GMC Denali. By equiv, same features, same options etc. but different combo of available trim and body colors. Same price as well.

And having ridden in both chevy and GMC's of same trim level and same year, IF there is a difference in noise levels it very very minor IMHO. Now if you compare a GMC denali to a Silverado WT (work truck), well I suspect then you will notice a difference, but not because of brand, because of trim level.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Yeah, that's me. Be 44 coming up this year.......getting old is a biatch!
Just to clear the air for the stuffy folks here, that was TOTALLY tongue in cheek.
Ask a silly question, get a silly answer my mom used to say!

:R
If you think 44 is old, dang, I have kids as old as you! :S
DW and I just spent two weekends helping the one that is still in her 30's a nice fence, OLD is a state of mind!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yeah, that's me. Be 44 coming up this year.......getting old is a biatch!
Just to clear the air for the stuffy folks here, that was TOTALLY tongue in cheek.
Ask a silly question, get a silly answer my mom used to say!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
According to your sig, you already have a new F250. Why are you asking? Need 2 but don't know how the first one drives?

Save some time, Fords s uck! Go get the GMC! But not a Chevy, General Motors assembles the Chevys with all the trainees and once they graduate they get to build GMCs. That's why GMC is professional grade! Waaaaay better quality than Chebby.

WTF... Are you for real?

Reminds me of the partially senile people in line at the grocery store making the loud lewd comments because they have no filter. The other people in line don't know whether to feel sorry for him or tell them to zip it.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
GeoBoy wrote:
According to a GM engineer the GMC's are a little quieter and a better trim level, comparing a WT to a base Sierra in the HD trucks.

No, not quieter... You get the upper level Denali trim with the GMC but other than that trucks are identical mechanically and built in the SAME assembly line with the same workers.

I guess you are right. What would a GM engineer know about how their product is built? Oh and by the way he has owned both Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
MFL wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
According to your sig, you already have a new F250. Why are you asking? Need 2 but don't know how the first one drives?

Save some time, Fords s uck! Go get the GMC! But not a Chevy, General Motors assembles the Chevys with all the trainees and once they graduate they get to build GMCs. That's why GMC is professional grade! Waaaaay better quality than Chebby.

WTF... Are you for real?

I think a ticket for typing under the influence, may be in order!:E

Fords don't s uck, and I do think the GMCs look better than the Chebbies.:W

Jerry

Guilty!
And I agree w you except I like the look of the new Chevy front clip over the GMC.
I've had a bunch of windshield time in all of the big 3 over the last couple years and they're all solid trucks.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:

2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
You mentioned ride quality... I am not sure about the newest Fords, but mine (2008) and similar Fords have a rough ride - when they are empty. Loaded up it is great!

In my experience Dodge and especially Chevy have a nicer and more comfortable ride when empty.

I find that my 13 F250 rides just about the exact same as my friends Silverado 2500 - pretty much a toss up in my mind. I will say that the solid axle front end seems to be more stable while towing heavy than the GM IFS.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
According to a GM engineer the GMC's are a little quieter and a better trim level, comparing a WT to a base Sierra in the HD trucks. The GM trucks have independent front suspension which helps with a more comfortable ride vs the Ford truck. The truck in my signiture rides better than my bosses $60K F350, empty or loaded.
I would definitly skip the 250/2500 series an buy a 350/3500 series truck. We have a lot of GM 3500 gas trucks avaliable in the Northeast US.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
You mentioned ride quality... I am not sure about the newest Fords, but mine (2008) and similar Fords have a rough ride - when they are empty. Loaded up it is great!

In my experience Dodge and especially Chevy have a nicer and more comfortable ride when empty.

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

Chevy quality = GMC quality, they are the same platform with varying options built in the same plant(s).

PS - I have the same opinion of your post as you do of Fords.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
N-Trouble wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

WTF... Are you for real?

I think a ticket for typing under the influence, may be in order!:E

Fords don't s uck, and I do think the GMCs look better than the Chebbies.:W

Jerry

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

WTF... Are you for real?
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:

Wow! Is this serious or a tongue in cheek joke? You do know that Chevy and GMC come out of the same plant I hope. :h