cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good news for American car/truck builders

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Rankings for most reliable vehicles and their average miles expected put Toyota and Honda at the number 1 & 2 spots but Ford is #3, closely followed by
Dodge at #4 and Chevy at #5. Pretty impressive showing by all.

top 10 vehicle brands ranked by most reliable
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population
17 REPLIES 17

oughtsix
Explorer
Explorer
What a load! A good statistician can make the numbers say anything they want! So they base the reliability of a vehicle on the number of miles until the vehicle is considered worthless? To me that says absolutely nothing about the reliability of a vehicle or vehicle brand or how troublesome said vehicles and brands may be. The article looked like pure fiction to me!
2006 Duramax Crew Cab Long Bed pickup.
2007 Coachman Captiva 265EX trailer.

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
I once put a yard and a half into a '90 F150 not knowing any better. The guy in the yard said are you SURE? I said yep. Didn't take up that much space in my 8 foot bed. I watched the bed go down, down and down some more. Was hanging just above the tires. I had a big gulp and got in to go the short distance home. The bed of the truck was literally swinging side to side a couple of inches but made it. Dummy me.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
And if you want a great heavy-hauler and not just a pseudo truck ... The US trucks are the top 3! Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
azchuckmo wrote:
I'd like to see a tundra with 4 tons of sand in bed, like my ford carried,

You carried 8,000 lbs in the bed of your pickup?

Anything's possible on the internets:)

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
azchuckmo wrote:

You carried 8,000 lbs in the bed of your pickup?
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
azchuckmo wrote:

A yard of sand weighs a little over a ton... how did you get FOUR yards of sand in a standard 8 foot bed? Besides the fact that you would be WAY overloaded with 8000+ lbs of carried weight, it seems unlikely that you could stack sand in the relatively small confines of a pickup truck bed.
Also, did you put that in the 8 foot bed of a F150? Because that would be a more direct comparison to the half ton Tundra. Not an EXACT comparison, because the F150 can be configured with much higher GVWR than the Tundra, but a more direct one.
I assume you probably have a 350. If that's the case, I would like to see your 350 with 300 tons of sand in the bed, like the Hitatchi Euclid carried...
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/0804dp_10_largest_dump_trucks/viewall.html

See, we can all make ridiculous statements...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

azchuckmo
Explorer
Explorer

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Great to see! Thanks for posting Skipnchar.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our F150 rides better than a car, with 175,000 miles plus on it.
I've had to replace number 8 coil twice and plugs once.
Only thing was keeping check on oil level as the 5.4 has used oil since day one.
I'm going to spend a little money on it instead of trading. The trucks are just too expensive, for me, now.
The C channel will certainly be less stiff. I saw one advertisement about going to an aluminum frame, I thought. I don't think that is a good idea. It would do for Soccer Moms who don't haul anything but groceries but any weight or towing a no no, I think.
It's to save weight and CAFE averages and too heck for suitability of the vehicle.
For the prices, now, they should be made of rhodium.
Henry Ford made some steering and suspension pieces out of 100% Vanadium on Model T or maybe it was the Model A.
They should make the frames out of it.It could be lighter and stronger.

e-light
Explorer
Explorer
This is good news for all manufacturers and shows that the "domestic" brands have basically caught up with the other brands in terms of reliability.

I can attest to this first hand. I used to own a 2005 Jeep Liberty. I told myself that I would never own another Chrysler product after that vehicle. After spending a lot of time with the new RAM trucks I was blown away by the quality improvements. The materials are much better. I went from a 2013 Tundra to a 2014 RAM and I can say by any measure of quality I've found (interior materials, serviceability, design, etc) the RAM is on par with the Tundra.

I've always liked GM vehicles. My family has had very good luck with them. My dad buys Chevy trucks for his construction company and he has never had any major issues. My grandfather is a salesman that puts about 50,000 a year on his vehicles. He drives Chevy cars and he puts hundreds of thousands of miles on them before trading them in.
2015 Cougar 339BHS 5er
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Laramie, 6.7L Cummins
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
GONE:
2014 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
AmericaOverland wrote:
How does the good news apply to us? I was hoping that the Feds would loosen the manufacturing regulations because of all the electronic gadgets in these cars that just about pass for aircraft, if not spacecraft. It's my understanding that Ford has the most rigid frame under the body in the pick-up market. Is that still true?

They probably had the most rigid frame with the fully boxed frame on the F150. They're switching over to open C-Channel according to reports (probably to save weight) so time will tell how they compare to the others in terms of rigidity.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

AmericaOverland
Explorer
Explorer
How does the good news apply to us? I was hoping that the Feds would loosen the manufacturing regulations because of all the electronic gadgets in these cars that just about pass for aircraft, if not spacecraft. It's my understanding that Ford has the most rigid frame under the body in the pick-up market. Is that still true?

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
hone eagle wrote:
Bet they have to go to 3 decimal places to find any difference what so ever,best to last is tiny.

Very true, because nobody makes an unreliable vehicle anymore. It's just too competitive in today's market to get away with building junk.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Bet they have to go to 3 decimal places to find any difference what so ever,best to last is tiny.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-