cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Goodbye CH751 key!

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Last night I replaced the CH751 lock on the water fill hatch with a lock that matches my entry door and other compartment locks, which were replaced in previous upgrades. One less key to mess with!
WOOHOO!!!
There's also a thumb turn style lock available.

I wanted the locking version because I camp remotely most of the time and I don't want someone dumping unmentionables in my water tank.

Video describing the upgrade
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator
17 REPLIES 17

Bedlam
It might be uncomfortable waiting for a replacement cassette if yours is lost or stolen.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

srschang
Nomad
Nomad
One thing I've never been able to figure out - The cassette toilet tank door on our Northstar has a key lock??

2022 Ram 3500 Dually Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC

skanj0
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Last night I replaced the CH751 lock on the water fill hatch with a lock that matches my entry door and other compartment locks, which were replaced in previous upgrades. One less key to mess with!
WOOHOO!!!
There's also a thumb turn style lock available.

I wanted the locking version because I camp remotely most of the time and I don't want someone dumping unmentionables in my water tank.

Video describing the upgrade

Hey Delta Bravo - Well done. I followed your lead and just changed out all the locks on my Arctic Fox 865. Even if the new locks proved to be no more secure than the CH751 (I think they are) having a single key for all compartments and the entry door is nice. And they operate so much more smoothly! I also used the opportunity to ditch the thumb latches and now have 2 locks on my battery and generator compartments.
2016 F350 SRW, Diesel, FX4, CCSB
Icon 2.5 CDCs
Icon 2.5โ€ Coil Springs
Add a Leaf in Main Pack and Twin Auxiliary Springs
Custom rear Sumo Springs
Edge CTS Monitoring System
Toyo AT3 295/65/20
2023 Arctic Fox 865 with Victron galore
2 Ga Charging System

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
When I was a teenager, I knew plenty of juvenile delinquents who would go around checking every car door, garage door, anything else to see if it was locked. If it was locked, they'd move on. If it was open, they would go thru checking for money, cigarette, booze, or anything of value. They would steal stuff they had no use for, just for fun. Or sometimes just do malicious mischief. Cheapo locks won't keep out serious thief's, but they will help keep some of the mischief away. I always lock my stuff.
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

Bedlam
I still work full time and juggle 50+ passwords in my head at any one time. Ask people what someone's phone number is today if they lost their phone - Now that would be a show.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bedlam wrote:
If I replace my locks, it will most likely be a combination lock to reduce the number of keys.

At your age? How are you going to remember all those numbers? Rim Shot!

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
I seldom lock my basement doors, parked at home, or camping. If someone wants something in there, they will get in! I'd rather make it easy, than repair the damage.

My water fill door locks with the 751, as does the outside shower door. I'm thinking just to ensure that they don't open in transit?

Jerry

I recall a car I had that got broken into. They completely tore the drivers door lock off, made off with <=$50 of stuff. I never did get a quote on fixing the damage to the door and getting a replacement lock. ๐Ÿ™‚

IMHO: there IS something to be said about not making it to hard and just keeping honest folk honest.

Keeping in mind that *IF* criminals really want something, they can do more damage than whatever the lock is 'protecting' is worth. ๐Ÿ™‚

- Mark0.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lantley wrote:
The lock and latch are really just for show, they won't keep the bad guys out.
I'm more concerned with damage to the doors and body of RV vs. losing my camping stuff

I use the locks to keep my camping gear in the compartments. It's one safeguard to ensure the compartment stays closed.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Once I realized there was little structural integrity to the door, lock and latch.
I was no longer concerned with locking the storage compartments.
The lock and latch are really just for show, they won't keep the bad guys out.
I'm more concerned with damage to the doors and body of RV vs. losing my camping stuff
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Bedlam
If I replace my locks, it will most likely be a combination lock to reduce the number of keys.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
BB_TX wrote:
Donโ€™t count on much security with those little barrel locks.

Security is not what I'm after. I want the convenience of only using one key for everything.

jimh406 wrote:
Congrats, less keys is better for sure!

YEP!
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
MFL wrote:
I seldom lock my basement doors, parked at home, or camping. If someone wants something in there, they will get in! I'd rather make it easy, than repair the damage.

My water fill door locks with the 751, as does the outside shower door. I'm thinking just to ensure that they don't open in transit?

Jerry

That's all the CH751 lockset is good for. As everyone knows it's been used in a million applications. The ones I have personal experience with:

1999 Prowler travel trailer
1998 Gulfstream class C motorhome
Early '90s pickup canopy of un-remembered brand
1993-1995 Pierce fire engine compartments and cab doors
Early 2000s Loadrunner cargo trailer

I've probably forgotten a few other rigs I've been around that used this key.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
deltabravo wrote:
One less key to mess with!
WOOHOO!!!

Congrats, less keys is better for sure!

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Jerry