Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodyear Enduance vs Maxxis 8008

Mikesr
Explorer
Explorer
Constructive input only please.
Need to replace original factory tires (Trailer King brand) on our 2017 Outback due to a sidewall bubble noticed at the end of last season. Not going to debate this tire just want safety and piece of mind with tires.
Pros and cons please between Goodyear Endurance and Maxxis 8008 ST tires please.
Thank You in advance
Mike and Donna
2016 Chevy 2500HD
2020 Open Range Light 312BH
64 REPLIES 64

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Claude B wrote:
Both are steel belted radial tires.
Now ! And after the last week, the real question is:
The steel they used for mfg process, doe’s it come from China or USA ?
:@

It isn't the steel that is the problem. It's the adhesion of the rubber to the steel - and that's a rubber chemistry/ tire construction problem. One of the solutions is the use of nylon cap plies. Not only do they reduce the amount of growth due to centrifugal forces, they also spread out the stresses over a larger volume.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

Wishin
Explorer
Explorer
I have 3 seasons and 16,000 miles on my current Maxxis tires and they have performed perfectly with no issues and hardly any wear. Last summer we went on a 5100 mile trip including the HOT SW desert area with temps up to 115 and I drove 70 mph the entire time. They are 205/75R15 LRD tires, OEM were junk and wearing poorly and 2 had to be replaced the 1st season. They were LRC, which may have been part of the problem as I think I'm likely at the 3500 lb rating of the trailer axles and close to the tire ratings depending on balance from side to side.

My prior trailer had OEM Goodyears from 1999 and in 2009 I replaced them all the year after I bought it in 2008 with Maxxis tires. After being on for 4 years and 7,000+ miles, one of the came apart. I ordered them directly from Maxxis and were 3 years old when they arrived at my door, which I was not happy about. So the tire that blew was nearly 7 years from the date code at the time.

I'm trying the Goodyears next time because they are easier to fine, made in the USA, have a higher speed rating, etc. If they were not available, I'd get Maxxis again.
2014 Wildwood 26TBSS - Upgraded with 5200lb axles and larger Goodyear ST tires
2003 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 Suburban 8.1L 4.10's

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Remember, all this talk about quality, durability and speed, means nothing to the chunk of scrap iron that went through the sidewall of my new truck tire or the rim bending chuck hole that took out my car tire.

In over 50 years of driving I have never lost a truck, car or any kind of trailer tire to cracking, debonding, tread loss etc. I have had countless punctures from nails and metal scraps plus a few to bad tire alignment and long mileage.

Be safe.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Claude_B
Explorer
Explorer
Both are steel belted radial tires.
Now ! And after the last week, the real question is:
The steel they used for mfg process, doe’s it come from China or USA ?
:@
Claude
2013 Gulf Stream VISA 19ERD
VW Touareg TDI 2013
VW Passat 2012 TDI

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank u 'J' for the bias response. I was leaning towards the local driving use myself.

If anyone is interested in some good tire info with pics of what to look for inspecting tires for potential problems.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23747621/print/true.cfm

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26576852.cfm

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Dave5143 wrote:
I did some digging around and found This
Speed rating Q=99MPH. I won't vouch for the accuracy of this which is why I included the URL for the website.
I wonder if the tires have changed or if the speed ratings have been re-defined for marketing purposes.

Maxxis does not give a speed rating for the 8008 on their website (at least that I could find) the do give information on speeds above 65mph with a reduced load capacity.

Oh, and speed ratings can't just get re-defined for marketing purposes. they and the tests are defined by federal standards. The tire must pass certain tests at the rated speed and rated load for specified time periods without failure or overheating. So you can't just slap a rating on it. And for other than ST speed rating, the test is reasonably stringent.

But then Maxxis doesn't list the speed rating on the passenger car and LT tires that I checked on the Maxxis website either. And those tires MUST have a Load index and speed rating embossed into the tire. So they do have a speed rating, it just isn't listed in the spec's.

So, one would need to look at the tire sidewall to see what the speed rating is.

My year or so old Maxxis M8008 on my small trailer do not have a speed rating on the tire, just a max load. If an ST tire is rated above 65mph it would need to have a speed rating and Load index as well.

A check of current tires would give info on what the latest tires are rated for.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
I did some digging around and found This
Speed rating Q=99MPH. I won't vouch for the accuracy of this which is why I included the URL for the website.
I wonder if the tires have changed or if the speed ratings have been re-defined for marketing purposes.
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
nevadanick wrote:
My Maxxis tires have an R speed rating.

and just which Maxxis tires do you have that have an R speed rating?

not likely the Maxxis ST tire.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
ancient technology bias ply tire from the '60s era. Great tire for a lawn service trailers or a old chevy luv or Datsun truck that gets towed or driven around town.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anybody have an opinion on a 15" LT "E" by Kenda ?

700-15" Kenda LT

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
My Maxxis tires have an R speed rating.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Speed rating on load carrying tires is more about their ability to cope with generated heat......not about how fast we drive.

I would 'spect Maxxis will step up and modernize their ST8008 line with a higher speed rating and add the nylon cap under the tread to all sizes.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Jackfate
Explorer
Explorer
I had maxxis on last trailer no problems, funny though because the camper was absolute junk but had good tires. Current tt came with west lakes 3 years old and have a set of endurance waiting to get mounted soon . I will say the endurance tires have very heavy/ stiff sidewalls.
Oh almost forgot the main downside of the endurance. No warranty

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our 5er new and it had U.S. made Marathons on it. After 5 years I replaced them with Maxxis. We've had the Maxxis on for right at 2 years and have run them nearly 17,000 miles with no issues. I run them at 70 psi cold and drive 65 mph. Personally I don't mind the 65 mph limit. I think driving much faster is too hard on the rig with the condition of most roads. I'd rather not abuse it that much.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
“That's why you shouldn't do wheelies with your trailer, it is really hard on the spare”

Even once every blue moon?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad