Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodyear Enduance vs Maxxis 8008

Mikesr
Explorer
Explorer
Constructive input only please.
Need to replace original factory tires (Trailer King brand) on our 2017 Outback due to a sidewall bubble noticed at the end of last season. Not going to debate this tire just want safety and piece of mind with tires.
Pros and cons please between Goodyear Endurance and Maxxis 8008 ST tires please.
Thank You in advance
Mike and Donna
2016 Chevy 2500HD
2020 Open Range Light 312BH
64 REPLIES 64

Mikesr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the feedback.
Goodyear Endurance ordered and will be installed next week.
Mike and Donna
2016 Chevy 2500HD
2020 Open Range Light 312BH

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
pmallonee wrote:
I may even ask them how many hours they'd charge to install the new equalizer, shakles and wet bolts...get everything done at oneccstop.

FWIW, with our previous K-Z Spree the stock nylon bushings (as expected) gave out miserably ...

... so when servicing the bearings I had the dealer replace everything with a Dexter Wet Bolt Kit ...

That worked well but sure was expensive and I never fully realized the benefit as we sold the trailer a year later. This time around with our current Coachmen I had the dealer instead replace just the nylon bushings with Lippert Never Fail Bushings which was a far less expensive alternative and even easier to deal with as they require no maintenance at all.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

roadrat2
Explorer
Explorer
We will be buying a set of the Goodyear Endurance. $490.00 for four tires, out the door. For that price, they also offered to grease the bearings while they had the wheels off. I may even ask them how many hours they'd charge to install the new equalizer, shakles and wet bolts...get everything done at oneccstop.
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT25SB
2006 F-350 6.0L

allenb12
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased the endurance in June last year have about 5,000 miles with no problems.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I'd buy Made in the USA Goodyear Endurance :C
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

wireman
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to replace my Ranier tires, 205/75-14, load range C with the Goodyear Endurance instead of the Maxxis.

The reason is Goodyear has a load range D in that size, Maxxis doesn't.

I'm not going to overload my trailer, or run 75 mph, just piece of mind with the higher load range and tire pressure and the higher speed rating.

My Ranier's are rated 65 mph.

I'm going on a 2 month cross country trip soon and just don't want to take the chance with the existing 2 year old tires.

They have about 10,000 miles on them, been maintained well, but feel more comfortable to spend the $'s on new tires.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
tomman58 wrote:
My Maxxis have been on my last 2 trailers without a problem BUT........... I pick up my new 40' (same as old one) TT in a month and it with come with the new (a year or two old now) Goodyears. I spent time with the head of Jayco engineering and he said the TT industry had good input as to these tires. The side walls are thicker and they are designed for straight line towing. I know of no issues with them. We will see. Oh yeah for those who care they are made here in the USA.
What happens when you gotta turn?

The wheels on your trailer DO NOT turn. Those with the 3 axles are really hard on tires because they do not turn.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
tomman58 wrote:
My Maxxis have been on my last 2 trailers without a problem BUT........... I pick up my new 40' (same as old one) TT in a month and it with come with the new (a year or two old now) Goodyears. I spent time with the head of Jayco engineering and he said the TT industry had good input as to these tires. The side walls are thicker and they are designed for straight line towing. I know of no issues with them. We will see. Oh yeah for those who care they are made here in the USA.
What happens when you gotta turn?
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobndot wrote:
CR....yes, I copied this part from one of my links that I posted on previous page. Link shows pics.

Why detachment?
There are a number of things that can cause this. They would primarily be a breakdown of the rubber that coats the steel. This could be due to a manufacturing error or simply the selection of a lower strength rubber which cannot tolerate the forces applied to the tire. Only lab testing can determine that. Sometimes detachments can be initiated by tread cuts or punctures but that does not seem to be the case of the tire I inspected. Detachments are one of the more difficult conditions to analyze as there is a need for a lot of additional background information and data.

That is Roger Marble commenting. While I didn't know him before I retired - except by reputation - we've had extensive conversations since.

As he alludes to, the situation is quite complex and difficult to sort out after the fact. My experience says that most tread detachments are caused by deficiencies in the design (as in the amount of material, where it is placed, and/or its properties).

And just to make the situation even more difficult to sort out, tires will fail due to road hazards, and the average person isn't experienced enough to know the signs. These can happen to any tire at any time.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
nevadanick wrote:
My Maxxis tires have an R speed rating.
Where do you find that? Sounds like R for Radial is more likely.

Westcoasting
Explorer
Explorer
Mikesr wrote:
Constructive input only please.
Need to replace original factory tires (Trailer King brand) on our 2017 Outback due to a sidewall bubble noticed at the end of last season. Not going to debate this tire just want safety and piece of mind with tires.
Pros and cons please between Goodyear Endurance and Maxxis 8008 ST tires please.
Thank You in advance

I'm very biased on tire threads... I had no luck with Maxxis tires on my TT and after two mishaps i have them on a quad trailer now but never would i put them on a tt again!

Now because i use LT tires now i haven't actually used the Endurance tires but i have not read one bad report of them since they started being used. Much like LT tires, no reports of blowouts is a good thing!

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
CapriRacer, that was a very helpful observation about the nylon cap -- I did not know that!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
CR....yes, I copied this part from one of my links that I posted on previous page. Link shows pics.

Why detachment?
There are a number of things that can cause this. They would primarily be a breakdown of the rubber that coats the steel. This could be due to a manufacturing error or simply the selection of a lower strength rubber which cannot tolerate the forces applied to the tire. Only lab testing can determine that. Sometimes detachments can be initiated by tread cuts or punctures but that does not seem to be the case of the tire I inspected. Detachments are one of the more difficult conditions to analyze as there is a need for a lot of additional background information and data.