cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gorilla Glue to repair Delamination

Thsldo
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone used Gorilla glue to repair a section of delam? I have a spot that is about 12 inches long on the front side of the camper. Was going to try and use it tonight.
Tom & Steph and 4 munchkins
2011 Dodge Durango 5.7
18 REPLIES 18

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

I've had less than spectacular results with Gorilla Glue. It seems to not hold too well in the long term.

Boy, I hope that's not true in my case. I really don't want to have to do it again. It's been about 8 months now and still holding, but that's not very long. I've had good luck with polyurethane glues for other exterior jobs with good results. Guess time will tell.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

wbrown62
Explorer
Explorer
Gorilla glue uses moisture to activate. You must be able to dampen the surfaces you are attempting to glue. Without the moisture, I suspect GG will not perform properly. Have heard excellent things about Titebond and West Marine sells many kinds of glues and epoxies some of which may work.
2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado

jmcnab
Explorer
Explorer
Go here and learn about their products which are designed for fiberglass repair.
They are the best in the business.
And toss the gorilla glue.

Http://www.westsystem.com/ss/
http://www.westsystem.com/ss/
02 Yukon Denali XL
08 KZ Spree 324BHS

westend
Explorer
Explorer
There was a thread in the DIY section awhile back where this was discussed.

Filon adhesive thread
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I've had less than spectacular results with Gorilla Glue. It seems to not hold too well in the long term.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Thsldo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, going to swing into West Marine on my way home and see what they have.
Tom & Steph and 4 munchkins
2011 Dodge Durango 5.7

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, Gorilla glue does expand. Agree on checking into contact cement since it's a thin layer. Not familiar with high temp or others, but a call to a couple of the contact cement manufacturers should get you the information.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I used a West Marine based epoxy .. don't recall which one. Boats experience delam issues all the time and you might consider visiting a Marine outlet and see what they recommend.
Kevin

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
Another thing some use is Finishing Resin. It uses normally used with fiberglass matting, it is a little thinner liquid then regular resins. It will flow into the smaller voids of the delamination where thicker glues won't.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have some delam starting under a window due to my failure to keep it sealed at the top. I inquired about repair at the local RV place and was told that they use "hi-temp" contact cement. Once the area is opened and allowed to thoroughly dry, the delaminated sections are pulled as far apart as possible and each side coated with contact cement, when the adhesive is dry the 2 parts are clamped together and allowed to set. The dealer said the reason you need the hi-temp stuff is that the walls get hot from sun exposure, and any other adhesive will fail.

I haven't actually done this repair so I can't speak first hand but thought IO would pass this along from a pro in the field. You may want to PM Chris Bryant here on the forum, he is an RV tech.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
rockhillmanor wrote:
Owe you one!
๐Ÿ™‚
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
I used Titebond wood glue. Clamped 48 hours. Epoxy failed. Did not try Gorilla.

I was just going to the store to buy some gorilla glue to fix around one wheel well today.

THANKS for that tip and advice about not using the other glues. Owe you one! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I used Gorilla Glue to fix the first 2 feet top to bottom on the side of our camper. If clamped properly, it only expands out of cracks and other openings. I've used a Liquid Nails type adhesive before with less than satisfactory results. It's also hard to get a thin coat with the caulk tube adhesives.
I've got another section to do and I'll use the Gorilla Glue again. It is messy as all get out, though.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

mhardin
Explorer
Explorer
Gorilla is a polyurethane glue that expands as it cures. I would not use any polyurethane glue for this purpose. I might consider using a gap filling Cyanoacrylate glue like THIS.
2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.