cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Got my first Truck Camper and Need tips from you pros...

SUPERCHARGE
Explorer
Explorer
Just Hauled my new truck camper through a 3 hour drive. I'm a younger guy, good with tools, got myself a decent, yet inexpensive truck camper to pull on LONG trips. I'm an explorer during my days off. So, I have quite a few questions since I want to make sure my Camper and truck are as stable, safe and comfortable as possible during my long trips. The guy I bought it from hardly knew anything about them, or about how to installs these himself so I have almost no Proper idea. Have a bunch of questions, so you peeps can just answer the ones you want,lol. Thanks.

First off, to secure, I have the Hold Down type clamps. Problem is, although the Camper fits with my gate down, the rear brackets on the camper itself are way towards the back, for an 8 footer, but where my truck's sidewall doesn't reach( since it's a 6.6 footer). The rear tensioners would almost have to be secured at a large angle. But the nature of the clamps seem to require the tension to come straight up. By the marks on the camper, seems like previous owners had the same issue and had them tied down at an angle. Is this a wise idea to do this and then maybe to secure even more with straps and chains in case? Or are there better methods?

Second thing, Camper fitment into the box. How much space should there be ideally between the camper and top of the sidewalls? Seems like the Camper has some slight damage or markings underneath from touching the brackets, so should I put anything underneath to protect it like rubber matt pieces?

Third: My truck itself. 1500 series, No problem pulling or stopping. Truck is used to hauling much heavier. BUT, lying directly onto the truck, the suspension has sunk near its limit and often touching the large Rubber Dampner on large bumps. Should I waste time getting stronger leafs springs, or those stabilizing balloons? Or both? Anything else or tips you guys recommend?
23 REPLIES 23

skipbee
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately, I have to agree with "Center of Gravity" issue. A TC designed to fit a long bed truck, can't be safely carried on a short bed. If you go on the Lance Truck Camper website, they had a very good explanation of how COG applies. It is a matter of carrying too much weight behind the rear axle. This will lighten the load on the front steering axle. Which can be catastrophic.

If you can possibly work out a deal for at least a 3/4 ton the problem is solved. Otherwise, a sale of your present TC in favor of a TC specifically designed to fit a 1/2 ton would be the safest choice IMHO. Several TC manufacturers do offer 1/2 ton models. They are particularly good for rugged off-road operations. I expect some folks here can offer their experiences with some suitable 1/2 ton TC's.
skipbee
2004 F350 Diesel CC SRW 19.5" Rickson W/T 4WD
2005 Lance 1121 well found.
See us on YouTube" Living the Lance Life" 3 of 4. Google skip bosley for TR's: Alaska, Assateague Island, Disney World & Fla Keys and a California Coastal jaunt.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I encountered the exact problem, although I was lucky enough not to have made the purchase before discovering this. Yes, the camper I was looking at can be dropped on a half ton pickup, but it would require, at the minimum, a set of airbags, but realistically, many suspension mods, as well as new brakes and possibly new wheels/tires to handle the larger rotors. All that, and the vehicle will still be overweight, because nothing changes the weight ratings.

Needless to say, I'm in the market for a used 3/4 to 1 ton right now.

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
You can put all the rear suspension springs and such you want on the rear axle but you still have the COG (Center Of Gravity) way past the center of the rear axle toward the rear I'm sure. This unloads your front axle. It is ok to have a LB truck with a SB camper but you usually don't go the other way.
You state that your truck has an 1800# payload and the trailer (I guess you mean camper) weighs 1690#. That 1800# payload on your truck is without anybody or anything in the truck. I would guess you weigh something. ๐Ÿ™‚ This takes away from your payload capacity of the truck. Then the camper weighs 1690# but this is with no options or anything inside the camper. I think you might want to put some water in the fresh water tank and you might want to have some propane on board. Maybe some food to eat and some clothes to wear. This all is added weight on your truck that takes it even more past the dry weight.

It is your call what you do but you are getting some good advice here.

People always come on here that have just bought a camper that overloads their rig and then asks the questions but don't want to hear the answers or they cherry pick the answers that fit what they want to do. You have to make the decision to do what you think is right with all the information that is being posted and be comfortable with your decisions. Also if you get into an accident where something on your truck failed because of being very overweight and without the proper weight balance are you ready to live with the consequences of your actions if somebody is hurt.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

SUPERCHARGE
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:
Hate to say it but could you return the camper? Its probably far too much for a half ton truck and it sounds like its too long. Others may know more about the length issue and the tie downs. Most truck campers belong on 3/4 ton trucks. You are probably looking for a 1200 lb camper or less and then the next problem is that you cant carry much because you go over the limit which is around 1600. You should probably be looking for a short soft side camper or go with a travel trailer and get three times the living space yet be within the towing capacity of your truck. A 1/2 ton will be better able to tow what you need than carry what you need. It would be safer to put the camper on a trailer so its properly secured.

Well, trailer weighs 1648 lb. Payload on my truck is 1800. Maybe my springs are worn. But ok, clearly I need to upgrade my springs or get another leaf if i'm sagging. I don't want a trailer. Too costly, too restricted on long hauls and much less comfortable to tow. Did amazing mileage in three hrs when bringing it. No point in another truck, suspension upgrades aren't that hard. just wondered if people could point out what ooption would be preferable.

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
You have way too much camper on that truck!

1. There are very few campers that will fit a 1/2 ton. You need at least a 3/4 for a TC and having hauled a camper for many years on both a SRW 3/4 and on a DRW 1T I would never even go back to the 3/4t.

2. You apparently have a short bed with a long bed camper. You center of gravity is way off and the rig will be dangerously unstable.

Get rid of either the camper or the truck.
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
Keep the camper and get a bigger truck. You know you want that bigger truck anyway. ๐Ÿ™‚

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Hate to say it but could you return the camper? Its probably far too much for a half ton truck and it sounds like its too long. Others may know more about the length issue and the tie downs. Most truck campers belong on 3/4 ton trucks. You are probably looking for a 1200 lb camper or less and then the next problem is that you cant carry much because you go over the limit which is around 1600. You should probably be looking for a short soft side camper or go with a travel trailer and get three times the living space yet be within the towing capacity of your truck. A 1/2 ton will be better able to tow what you need than carry what you need. It would be safer to put the camper on a trailer so its properly secured.

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
How much does that camper weigh? Sounds scary to me. You really need to read up on what kind of camper you have, what it potentially weighs, what your truck can carry? I put an unknown camper on my truck worried the entire time that the camper was too heavy. (almost 3000 lbs) Didn't even make a dent. The truck barely sunk at all. (to my relief) Once home, did all the calculations and found I had the right truck for the job.

poncho62
Explorer
Explorer
Dont know much about the hold downs, but it sounds like you are maxed out weight wise. You are going to need to do something with the springs or get a heavier truck (3/4-1 ton)