cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grease on the ball?

Steelhawk
Explorer
Explorer
A friend we camp with always puts grease on his trailer ball. He says I should do it as well. Is this a good idea?
78 REPLIES 78

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Farmerjon wrote:
Hah. You can find most anything on a Farm. There is no wrong answer. On our farm and others in our area a lot of the stuff we tow use a simple pin that drops thru the draw bar. as the equipment gets heavier the type of connection gets heavier. Our wagons have the simple pinned draw bars and we may pull more than one wagon at a time.
But what one area and type and size of farm does may be very different from other farmers. So to question what Dodge Guy is telling you is really uncalled for.
Back to the OP's original question I for one still think
Houston Remodeler wrote:
A little dab'll do ya

Thanks! Like I said we could be here all day going over various connection methods for farm equip.

Back on topic!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
Hah. You can find most anything on a Farm. There is no wrong answer. On our farm and others in our area a lot of the stuff we tow use a simple pin that drops thru the draw bar. as the equipment gets heavier the type of connection gets heavier. Our wagons have the simple pinned draw bars and we may pull more than one wagon at a time.
But what one area and type and size of farm does may be very different from other farmers. So to question what Dodge Guy is telling you is really uncalled for.
Back to the OP's original question I for one still think
Houston Remodeler wrote:
A little dab'll do ya

2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Muddydogs wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
yep, your right. I should have thrown that in there. most farm implements have four wheels and a tongue that swings down, so the tongue weight is only about 15 lbs! even a boat has minimal tongue weight.

Do you know anything about farm equipment? First you claim most farm trailers have hooks and now you claim most farm implements have four wheels and no tongue weight. Me thinks not.

Since we are off topic now. I guess it depends on what type of farm implement we are talking about! A hay trailer with steerable front wheels and stationary rear wheels has only an arm that just lays on the pintle or ball (depending on how it was set up) has minimal tongue weight. Sorry, I didn't know I needed to explain how every piece of farm equipment works. If I did we would be here all day! I was just giving an explanation of how little some tongue weight could be! Sheesh! :S

I guess we now have the farm police!!!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use grease and I have grease stains on 1/2 of my pants to prove it;)
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Muddydogs wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
yep, your right. I should have thrown that in there. most farm implements have four wheels and a tongue that swings down, so the tongue weight is only about 15 lbs! even a boat has minimal tongue weight.

Do you know anything about farm equipment? First you claim most farm trailers have hooks and now you claim most farm implements have four wheels and no tongue weight. Me thinks not.

One might wonder, what that has to do with RV's?
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:

2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
grease on the ball.... always.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
dewey02 wrote:
This thread seems to have taken on a "greasers vs non-greasers" argument.

Now, where have we seen that before?

Everyone knows Greasers are cooler!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
CavemanCharlie wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Yes, when maintained properly grease does not ruin a ball/coupler from dirt. On my long trips of 1-3000 miles I have never had any grit in the grease. And of course a farm implement store will tell you no grease, they operate in dirty/dusty environments. Not too mention that the majority of those hitches are pintle hooks!

I have the same ball for 13 years and it shows no signs of galling. My buddies hitch OTOH he never lubes it and it shows! The ball has gouges in it, and we have had to retorque a few times already! He just refuses to put on some grease because it is just one more step. I don't think he even carries any type of grease with him even for wheel bearings!

No pintle hooks on farms that I live and work on around here. In fact, I've only seen one of them in 50 years.

Either a regular bumper hitch ball or a 5th wheel goose neck is waht we have. No grease on them.

But, I am beginning to believe that this ball wear problem is related to the Weight Distribution Hitch device. It puts more force on the ball. Grease may be needed in these cases. Nothing on the farm has one of those.

Like you say WD hitches put a lot of pressure on the ball which increases the wear on the ball without grease. so the wear with a WD hitch without grease will be bad! as compared to no WD or very light tongue weight with WD.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
This thread seems to have taken on a "greasers vs non-greasers" argument.

Now, where have we seen that before?

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
Yes, when maintained properly grease does not ruin a ball/coupler from dirt. On my long trips of 1-3000 miles I have never had any grit in the grease. And of course a farm implement store will tell you no grease, they operate in dirty/dusty environments. Not too mention that the majority of those hitches are pintle hooks!

I have the same ball for 13 years and it shows no signs of galling. My buddies hitch OTOH he never lubes it and it shows! The ball has gouges in it, and we have had to retorque a few times already! He just refuses to put on some grease because it is just one more step. I don't think he even carries any type of grease with him even for wheel bearings!

No pintle hooks on farms that I live and work on around here. In fact, I've only seen one of them in 50 years.

Either a regular bumper hitch ball or a 5th wheel goose neck is waht we have. No grease on them.

But, I am beginning to believe that this ball wear problem is related to the Weight Distribution Hitch device. It puts more force on the ball. Grease may be needed in these cases. Nothing on the farm has one of those.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Ball and ends of lift below it but not on the trailer ends. They brake your sway.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

humblerb
Explorer
Explorer
After we bought our first TT, I read lots of arguments both ways.
I even stopped in a trailer store (implement trailer, not travel trailer) and asked what type of grease I should use.
They told me not to use grease.
I have used axle grease on mine for 5 years.
You need to be diligent about cleaning the ball AND the trailer coupler frequently.
The grease can and will hold grit and cause wear from the grit.
I clean mine every other trip or so, depending on how much driving I do with the hitch in the receiver and how far apart the trips are.