cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grill guard

Faststreak
Explorer
Explorer
I’m looking at a waestin grill guard for my Ram 3500. How important do you long distance Truck camper travelers feel a grill guard is? Looking at going to Alaska, is protecting the front of the truck a priority? When I go through Texas many trucks have them. The Westin also has a screen that helps with rock damage as well animal crashes. I thinking of getting the one without the winch support. This would be for my Ram 3500. The grill guards are not inexpensive. Thanks Eddie
20 REPLIES 20

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
Optimistic Paranoid wrote:
I bought a Buckstop Bumper for my truck because I wanted a way to mount a winch. That said, since it's 1/4 steel, I gotta beleive it's going to provide way more protection than the re-cycled tin cans the factories use for OEM bumpers. It also came standard with a front receiver built in.

And yeah, it weighs about 190 lbs. more than the stock bumper it replaces.

Another one to consider are the bumpers from ARB, an Australian company. They specifically designed them to protect against kangaroo strikes, which apparently is a real problem down in OZ.

I think a good quality bumper like the Buckstop will definitely help.
Even if you suffer damage it may allow the truck to keep running and get you out of the boonies or drive to a repair shop.
With the newer diesel trucks having a radiator, intercooler, Trans cooler and A/C condenser in addition to more expensive items right in the front that will disable the truck, a good bumper is worth it. IMHO.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

ardvark
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Fab Fours on our F350. Massive thing, weighs over 200 pounds. The last owner put it on. Looks like it would stop a battle ship. I don't care for it, but my wife does so I guess we will keep it. You all know how that works. 🙂

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
My custom Buckstop just came today for my 5500. 1/4 inch steel all around. About 200 lbs and pricey but worth it. Took a couple months to get it built and truck freight across the country. Do a little research, quality grill guards will help protect the truck. It will also hold my winch and extra lights. It is a beast!
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

JTLance
Explorer
Explorer
Buddy of mine calls grill guards "Big-belly Truck owner Jewelry".

I know a body guy of 30+ years and he LOVES LOVES big grill guards. Every deer whack takes out the truck frame.

There is plenty of diesel motor to protect from most anything. 🙂

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Never had on any of my trucks, however I did have a big steel bumper on a old F-150 that I had a winch mounted to it.
I hit a bear going down a logging road. It flipped up landed on the hood, flipped up again took out the windshield and chushed the passenger side roof and door supports. The truck was totaled as was the bear. Bumper and winch were ok thou. You hit a moose, I don’t care what you have on the front of you truck, it’s bending as is the truck.
This picture is from Newfoundland... but it was a moose and truck encounter. Just do a google search of Newfoundland moose and vehicle encounters, and just click on pictures... that will tell you what a moose can do
Where I live it’s mostly deer that get hit, and like me, the odd bear gets whacked. Save your money for your deductible on your vehicle insurance on the off chance you do hit something.
Take your time when traveling, see the sites and keep an eye open for wild life. The best places to have something suprize you would be on a sharp corner, an area where the Bush/ trees grow close to the road, or where there are steep banks leading up and down from the road. Critters like you are just having a great day until they walk out of the Bush, or step up a bank into your lane of traffic.
And always.... every important... never ever swerve to miss the animal. Hit the thing, and make sure you tell your insurance people that “the animal hit you”
A lot of people die when the swerve to miss a deer or some other critter on the road. They either swerve into oncoming traffic and cause a bigger ascendent or head off into the rhubarb which has other nasty surprises waiting for that unsuspecting driver.
Soup.

2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Rotaxxx wrote:
Gee no love for grill guards on this forum I see! I got a HERD bumper on the front of my dodge and wouldn't be with out. To the one who said they add a couple hundred pounds is wrong. My aluminum bumper grill guard is lighter then the stock bumper, and it adds protection. What more could you ask for?

Nope, grumpy @ss old men hate everything! Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Buckstop Bumper for my truck because I wanted a way to mount a winch. That said, since it's 1/4 steel, I gotta beleive it's going to provide way more protection than the re-cycled tin cans the factories use for OEM bumpers. It also came standard with a front receiver built in.

And yeah, it weighs about 190 lbs. more than the stock bumper it replaces.

Another one to consider are the bumpers from ARB, an Australian company. They specifically designed them to protect against kangaroo strikes, which apparently is a real problem down in OZ.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
MORSNOW wrote:
Most grill guards will cause more front end damage in a wreck than without, I learned my lesson.

Correct when it's not a square hit because it bends the frame ears and screws up the suspension mounts. Not a good deal. better to take a good hit and call Allstate or whatever you have....
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Kalabin
Explorer
Explorer
I'm from Alaska and you wont need one except for a moose, which is rare. However driving up through Canada I hear there is a lot more running around the roads.

33 years up here, have never hit a critter.
2009 Ford F350 V10 4.10 FX4 Crew Cab SRW, Timbrens, Leer Topper

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a GG on my rig cause I have a Ramsey winch on it. If I were to do it again I would buy a Ranch Hand or similar. The Westin's just don't have any meat to them. I should clarify that saying the center section is substantial but the wings are not and would bend if hit with any force.
I'll tell you a little story. I was headed east out of Cody when a Pronghorn decided to cross the road and a pickup headed west drilled that thing. It destroyed the p/u if I had hit I would have had some damage but I could have driven away.

Rotaxxx
Explorer
Explorer
Gee no love for grill guards on this forum I see! I got a HERD bumper on the front of my dodge and wouldn't be with out. To the one who said they add a couple hundred pounds is wrong. My aluminum bumper grill guard is lighter then the stock bumper, and it adds protection. What more could you ask for?

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Most grill guards will cause more front end damage in a wreck than without, I learned my lesson.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

gvgeode
Explorer
Explorer
I put a Ranch Hand grill guard on the F450 before heading up the Dempster and later to Yellowknife and on to Fort Smith. Also added a plastic film over the headlight covers. Never hit a critter and hard to know how much damage we might have saved but we deflected quite a few good sized rocks with the screen.[img] Click For Full-Size Image.[/img]
2010 F-450, 6.4PSD, CC, DRW, 4X4, 60 gal fuel tank
2009 Lance 1055

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
What we use them for is to knock down brush and small trees when driving around the farm .