cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Half ton DD trucks

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
What are some real world MPG figures from you guys NOT TOWING?

Ford 3.5 ecoboost
Ford 5.0
Chevy 6.2
Ram 5.7
All with 4x4 Crew cab. It will be nicely optioned, leather, tech package, etc. Any gear ratio is fine.

Im not trolling to start arguements. I am in the first stages of research for buying a new half ton. If I get a Ram or Chevy it will be a 2019, if a Ford 2018 or newer.
It will be my daily driver. Towing with the new truck will be mostly small loads. Anything big will be so infrequent that heavy load mpg dont matter.

The mpg will be a smallish part of my decision, but part of it nonetheless. Whatever truck that fits my situation the best will be the one I buy. I have no brand loyalty.

Thanks for any honest figures!
18 REPLIES 18

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
It's all BS. There are tables for Fuel consumption to produce 1 or 500 BHP. I have challenged all those Dodge high mileage pickup drivers to come to my house, hook on my Arctic Fox 31W and then get over 10 MPG from N Va to Wheeling W Va and back driving 65 mph when they can do it (it's all interstate) I get 9.8 from Va to Co and Back and I cannot do better at 55 or 60. 67 Seems to be the best speed.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
mhamershock wrote:
2018 F150 Lariat SCREW 4x4 3.5 EB 3.73 HDPP option. I get 16-17 daily mixed driving. Can get 19-20 highway if gentle, and 8-10 towing.

This was basically our experience with our old F-150 Eco-Boost. We got 22 once on I-80 in Wyoming with a tailwind. Towing at the time was a close to 10,000lb loaded toyhauler. (don't recommend towing a trailer that size with a 150)

I have the EB in my daily driver Explorer and I average around 19-20 with mixed driving (more on the side of city than highway) on my commute to/from work. I could do better than that but I have a lead foot and the EB is so dang fun 🙂 Around 23 with straight higher speed highway driving.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Ford F150 3.5 EB SCREW King Ranch

17 -18 in town
20 - 21 highway running 70 - 75 MPH
9 - 10 towing 8,000 lb. enclosed trailer
14 - 15 towing 6,000 lb. flatbed open trailer

Love this truck. Lots of bells and whistles. Only complaint is the navigation is not user friendly.

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
Maury82 wrote:
srt20 wrote:
camp-n-family wrote:
Curious, since you are posting about MPG you must be concerned about cost, why would you look at the GM 6.2l instead of the 5.3l? Also, if not brand loyal why no consideration for the Tundra or Titan?

As I posted, mpg is a smallish part of my decision, but a part nonetheless. I like HP. And the 6.2 has plenty.

The Tundra is way to outdated for me. If they come out with a all new Tundra for 2019, I will most certainly be interested.

As for the Titan, I dont like the looks of it at all. Only reason.

I speculated correctly on why you mentioned the 6.2 and not the 5.3.

It's amusing to me how so many are oblivious to this key attribute for wanting a 1/2 to truck versus a larger Saint Bernard 2/3 ton.

What are you talking about?

Maury82
Explorer
Explorer
srt20 wrote:
camp-n-family wrote:
Curious, since you are posting about MPG you must be concerned about cost, why would you look at the GM 6.2l instead of the 5.3l? Also, if not brand loyal why no consideration for the Tundra or Titan?

As I posted, mpg is a smallish part of my decision, but a part nonetheless. I like HP. And the 6.2 has plenty.

The Tundra is way to outdated for me. If they come out with a all new Tundra for 2019, I will most certainly be interested.

I speculated correctly on why you mentioned the 6.2 and not the 5.3.

It's amusing to me how so many are oblivious to this key attribute for wanting a 1/2 to truck versus a larger Saint Bernard 2/3 ton.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
I've been really pleased with the gas mileage on my 3.5 eb. I've been getting 20+ on my daily commute. I drive relatively conservatively, but don't baby it either. Towing mileage is TBD.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
Be honest... BAHAHAHAHA. Everyone is going to tell you what the computer says they get on a good day. If you want more realistic numbers then just look the vehicles and engines up in Fuelly.

Fuelly.com

This ^^ right here.

People tend to report the best they've achieved under ideal circumstances rather than that tank where you're pushing 85 into a headwind because you're still 100 miles from home on a Sunday afternoon, the kids are tired and you've got to be at work early Monday morning.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
There is a much bigger difference in fuel mileage dependent on driving style than there is between any of those engines you listed. In other words, they're all so similar is isn't going to matter.

If you talk to someone who drives with one pedal or the other to the floor like some people do, they're going to get terrible mpg. Another person can take the same truck and get 30% better mpg by not driving it like a caveman.

There are plenty of comparison tests online you can read that show the mpg between those engines (from the 3.5L EcoBoost to the GM 6.2L) are very similar. In fact, I recall one test where the GM 6.2L got better mpg in the same conditions than the 3.5L EcoBoost. It's either Eco or Boost with that one.

Pick the one you like best.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

Vanished
Explorer
Explorer
They are all within a MPG or two and doesn't make a bit of difference in the big picture... 😉 I love my 6.2l GMC but my Hemi was fun as well...
2019 Ford F350 4x4 diesel DRW
2021 Grand Design Momentum 28G

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
srt20 wrote:
What are some real world MPG figures from you guys NOT TOWING? ...

It depends on your world. Are you in a large urban area? Stop and go traffic? Country road, freeway, dirt road?

My daily drivers average closer to the highway rating because of my 45 mile commute. I can easily get 18 mpg over 10k miles average.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The EcoBoost engine mileage depends a lot on driving style. Heavy foot = poor fuel economy !

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
ShinerBock wrote:
Be honest... BAHAHAHAHA. Everyone is going to tell you what the computer says they get on a good day. If you want more realistic numbers then just look the vehicles and engines up in Fuelly.

Fuelly.com

Honestly. no matter how you compute the MPG. It is the computer telling you what it is. EVEN if you hand calculate, the computer tells you how many miles you traveled. nothing is mechanical any more.

And why shouldn't we use the MPG the computers tells us. after all. Everything on the TV is controlled by that computer, from gas pedal, to airflow. Including what gear it is using. It pretty well knows how much fuel it is using.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Got the 5.0, and 3.73 gear. It gets 19 mpg on trips with out towing. In town it is 14 to 15. towing to the beach it is 10.5 mpg. Towing home from the beach is 10. to the mountains and back is 10.

no it is not a supercrew cab, but a supercab. not a lot of difference really. Except the doors open backwards.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
camp-n-family wrote: