cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heading to Denver from Illinois, suggested stops?

usmcshepherd
Explorer
Explorer
I've officially retired from the Marine Corps and am on my way to my new career in Denver...I'm planning on taking I-80 west out of Illinois, but am looking for suggestions on places to stop or things to see, as well as alternate routes between here and there?!? Plan on leaving early Tuesday morning.
2011 Ram 3500 / 2013 Lance 1172
Semper Fi
MGySgt/USMC
17 REPLIES 17

realter
Explorer
Explorer
You could spend several days at Pioneer Village in Minden NE. Mahoney state park in NE has a lot of amenities but noisy due to being close to a hill on I80. Ft Kearny sp near Kearney,ne is pretty.

Bonesquatch
Explorer
Explorer
I made that trip many a time. Check out Starved Rock in Illinois on the Mississippi River. The Lincoln Zoo in Nebraska is worth a visit too. Cabela's in Kearney or Sydney are absolutely worth a visit. Lake McConaughy if you want to cast a line for some walleye and trout, or just take in the sights. If you go through Wyoming, spend a day or two in Vedauwoo among the granite boulders, pines, and beaver ponds. Great camping to be had there. Perfect time of year for your trip!
"That's just...like...your opinion...man..."--The Dude
2012 Chevy 2500 HD
2012 Lance 850

FreeIndeedJ836
Explorer
Explorer
We live in Denver and just traveled to IL to see family. (I was born in DeKalb. Since we were just traveling through and not looking for amenities, we stayed in Kalona, IA and Cabellas, Kearney, NE. Kalona has a city park with campground for $20/night and we just loved it. You will have to eat at the Kalona Brewing company...great pizza and beer. Cabellas lets you stay for free and always has good guy shoping. Happy and safe travels!
Bret
I'm not anti-social, I just have a strong aversion to B.S., drama, and pretending:)