cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hellwig LP-35 Adjustment

r47smiley
Explorer
Explorer
Installed some Hellwig LP-35 helper springs on my F250 last weekend. Towed the boat with them set very light and it made a world of difference, much preferred to my air bags when loaded. I havent done any unloaded driving but I'm sure I've lost some driveability.

I'm putting a Lance 855s on in a few weeks (yes, I realize this is a heavy camper) and will be getting to use the new Toyo F rated tires and the helper srpings which I am hopeful will make a huge improvement over my last trip.

I am hoping for some advice on adjusting them. The manual says no tighter than a 2" gap between the top factory leaf on the top help leaf. Should then be even front to rear? The front adjustments seem to tighten up sooner? Any comments from those with helper spring experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Rob
3 REPLIES 3

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
You may feel more sidewall flex with your tires compared to mine, but that's a trade off for a smoother ride too. Tires I have are STIFF! Ha! Empty, it's like driving a buckboard wagon over washboard dirt roads.

r47smiley
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for that. Just reread the instructions. Not sure where I came up with the 2", it states no closer than a quarter inch.

I've got the big wig in the rear as well. Hoping to have results near as good as yours, considering I'm not running quite as capable of a tire as you are. Planning to go to the full 80 psi in the rear and 70 psi in front.

Thank you.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I got them on my 2006 Dodge truck, short bed crew cab diesel. Nothing in my instructions limited the amount of pretension like you described; 2 inches. I cranked mine all the way down for max support.
I have the Lance 855S camper as well. I loaded the camper and found that the slide side, passenger side, sagged more than the driver side, so I adjusted the driver side until the truck sat even left to right.
They definitely help with the squat. However, I found that the Hellwig Big Wig sway bar is what really made for a better ride. After putting on the sway bar, the tendency of the truck w/camper to rock left/right went away. Especially on twisty roads. Last week I drove Hwy 1 up the California coast from Bodega to Gualala and was pushing a go-fast sports car. Ha! I don't really recommend this though; my oven door opens when I corner like this and I store pots and pans in there. I found out a bungee helps with that though.
For tires, I mounted 19.5 Rickman wheels with Toyo G rated tires inflated to 90 psi rear and 70 front.
Loaded for camping, my truck weighs about 12,700 pounds with the front axle gaining 300 pounds with the camper on vs off.