cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help - Arctic Fox Slide-In Room Pushed Out 1-Foot and Stuck!

truckcamperonmy
Explorer
Explorer
Truck Camper Redneck Friends, I don't think duct tape will fix this one!

Winter is coming...hitting our first freeze in Davenport, Iowa tonight and weather calls for an inch of snow sometime tomorrow. Drained and blew the lines, added pink stuff, etc...finally done and the last step was to close up the slide-in room on my 2011 Arctic Fox 992. Pressed the "IN" button and as it was almost completely pushed in (about 1-inch to go), I heard the motor wind up and it sounded like the gears slipped. I should have stopped there, but I thought I'd try to back it up and it would "get back on track"...nope...it did go back another 11 inches and that's where it sits now...slide out room exactly 1-foot hanging out. I got out the manual, located the "release brake", released it, and tried the manual crank. I never used the manual crank before, but remembered the Tacoma, WA Apache dealer showing it to me. No movement of the room, just turned the motor over (the brake release does work), the gear teeth must have slipped off the track or ground down or ???? The motor seems fine, in and out runs great, but I assume the gear is not grabbing the gear track. I re-engaged the brake and tried the motor again, and I don't think there is much more trouble-shooting I can do?

So, my next step, I guess, is to call Northwoods MFG tomorrow to see what they recommend.

Anyone else have this problem with their slide-out room or have a suggestion? Going to search the forums now, but never remember reading about this as a problem within the truck camper forum before.

Northwoods has been great with me in the past on three smaller items (one was faulty and two were actually my fault as I was up front and explained to them) and they went out of their way to help me out on all three. I was, and still am, impressed by that. I'll let everyone know how they handle the slide out room, but I'm sure they'll do right by their product.

Good news is that the camper is sitting in my driveway and not on the side of the road somewhere!

-Chad
2000 Ford F-350 Dually 7.3 Diesel Super Duty Crew Cab with Air Bags
2011 Arctic Fox 992
13 REPLIES 13

truckcamperonmy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for your advice, going to check the status of the shear pin/bolt when I get a chance this weekend and the distance of corners. Got the same advice from Northwoods MFG. Hopefully this will be a DIY project.

I only inspected from underneath the slide room from the inside while lying on the floor and did not check the access under the dinnette seat. Not close enough to any Northwoods dealers and out of warranty for them to fix.

Will post an update and maybe some pics once I dig into it further.
2011 Arctic Fox 992

Jeepers92
Explorer
Explorer
My 811 has a bolt/locknut that connects the drive shaft to the motor output. This fell out on me once. The is access under right cushion. You have to remove drawer.
B.Pettitt
Dodge, lwb, drw, 6.7, no mods
Arctic Fox 811
22' SunChaser fishing pontoon
04 Wrangler for mountian roads

Vietnam Vet...and proud of it

ab257
Explorer
Explorer
If your spur gear is slipping on your rack gear, it will sound like the camper is ripping itself apart (which it probably is). Doubt that is what is happening. Sounds more like the drive shaft broke or shear pin/bolt.
NE PA
Ford F350 (2008 XLT CC LWB 6.4L Diesel 4x4 ESOF 3.73 DRW 17"A/S
Upper/Lower Stable Loads, Airbags, Bilsteins)
Host Yukon (1 Slideout, Tent, Solar, 2-way Fridge, AGM)
Jeep Rubicon (Blue Ox tow, Patriot Brake, Tork Hitch, Voyager Cam)

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
Does your in/out gear have a shear pin thru the gear and shaft. If it is broken that could be your problem. My large slide on the 5'vr does have a shear pin--it has broken twice-both times going over very rough terrain. I keep a supply of pins and able to pound the broken 1 out and install the new one--it is a pain, though. Lars
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dumb question. Is the battery dead?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Sue_Bee
Explorer
Explorer
We went through this with our Bigfoot, on the BF slide out, there is a hexagonal drive shaft that moves the slide out, either with the motor, or manually with the crank. Ours had snapped in two, so neither the motor (which, when the button was pushed, would run)nor the manual crank would work. The Bigfoot has a tiny access panel which didn't really allow for easy inspection. There is a thread about it all somewhere, he was able to fix it, but it wasn't easy.

I still have pictures on my camera, but I can't find my download cord anywhere, I should post them.

This is the thread

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
I would measure all corners to see if there is an obvious difference, especially between what should be the same, side to side.

I do remember some posters talking about resetting the slide, but I think it's a lift and move the bottom in or out to the next groove on the gears.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

truckcamperonmy
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
If the gear slipped off the track, you should be able to manually push the slide in or out since that is what holds it in place. You can look under the slide to inspect the track for damage. Some of the slides have a maintenance hatch under the dinette slide drawer so you can see more mechanism. From the doorway, you should be able to look at the mechanism in the gap between the step and dinette floor.

Bedlam, I got a good look at both tracks as I was able to squeeze in and lay on the floor with 1 foot of the room extended out...the track teeth look perfectly square on what I can see...not worn or anything. I inspected the motor but it is covered where the gear meets the track. I didn't readily see a way to to inspect it further. Not going to monkey around with unbolting anything. Going to wait to hear from Northwoods.

I didn't actually try to physically push the slide in with two hands as it is so heavy I don't think it would be worth the effort or the blown out back. :B
2011 Arctic Fox 992

SooperDaddy
Explorer
Explorer
Northwood/Nash has what is likely the best customer service in the industry. Bar none! Keep us posted.
My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen. :W

Bedlam
If the gear slipped off the track, you should be able to manually push the slide in or out since that is what holds it in place. You can look under the slide to inspect the track for damage. Some of the slides have a maintenance hatch under the dinette slide drawer so you can see more mechanism. From the doorway, you should be able to look at the mechanism in the gap between the step and dinette floor.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

truckcamperonmy
Explorer
Explorer
Just looked through all the forums and didn't see anything to really help me out...other than having Good Sam's Roadside Service...might be something to look into after all? ๐Ÿ™‚

Just to clarify as well, I'm plugged into shore power, batteries are topped off, etc.
2011 Arctic Fox 992

truckcamperonmy
Explorer
Explorer
n7bsn wrote:
Rick Goodwater at Northwoods will have your best answer

Thanks n7bsn, I'll be sure to ask for Rick tomorrow. Can't remember if he was the person I worked with before?
2011 Arctic Fox 992

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Rick Goodwater at Northwoods will have your best answer
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.