cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP, finally bought a trailer!

livemusic
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, sorry, got a number of questions! I finally found a trailer at a good price and it's in good condition. I haven't owned a trailer in 35 years, and all I knew back then was how to tow it and then turn on the a/c lol. Can anyone recommend what I should do to check it out? I don't know much!

I bought it from an estate and the Executor doesn't know anything about it, so, I am in the dark. I mean, I don't know if anything works. We assume (hope) that it does. I knew the late owner and it worked when he died. I think he only used it once and died! He paid WAY more than I paid.

I don't even know what I have! It's a 1997 Fleetwood Mallard but I don't know the length. By the entrance door is a decal that says 24J. Is that 24'? What does J mean? It must be 24 footer, as I just measured the living area part and it's about 21'4". Do you measure from rear bumper to the hitch? I don't see length on the title anywhere, nor do I see it on the placard that provides the VIN and such. GAWR all axles is 2695 lbs.

It's been sitting outside for 2 years after he died and they settled the estate. Prior to that, I dunno but it's in real good shape and doesn't leak; it's very clean. It has a bedroom in the rear. I dunno what size bed, queen? Or maybe smaller, whatever that is.

The date of manufacture says Oct 1996. Is calling it a 1997 correct?

For instance, I want to see if the a/c works; this is #1 for me, it's hot here! Can I just plug into an electrical outlet and test? The trailer has a cord on the side and the placard says...

THIS CONNECTION IS
FOR 110/125 VOLT AC,
60 HZ.
30 AMPERE SUPPLY

The end of the cord looks like what I would call a 30 amp gizmo. The former owner put a yellow adapter on it and the end looks like a normal 3-prong grounded plug in any house. So, can I plug into my house and test? What about plugging into my small portable generator, no problem?

I ask these dumb questions because a young friend, just this past week, is no longer with us as got electrocuted doing some kind of 'routine' repair job at home. Tragic.

I see brakes on the rear wheels (2 axles). I have idea if they are functional or shot or what. Any suggestion on that? I have a 2008 Nissan Titan (1/2 ton) and I know I need a larger truck but for short hauls, it seems to be okay. I bought a 7-way to 4-way adaptor and the lights did work but, no brakes unless the 7-way is used?

Is there any resource for a newbie to learn about using a travel trailer? I need to check out the heater and stove, frig, etc.

Thanks for helping the ignoramus!

EDIT: Just thought of something... the a/c... just try it or do I need to check anything? Does freon/coolant last forever or do you have to top them off? I have a window unit in my house playroom and it has same freon as was in there 40+ years ago. My house a/c has a small leak and must be topped off every year.
16 REPLIES 16

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
If all you are running is the AC, you should have no problem powering it via the 30 amp TT (travel trailer) to 15 amp plug (sometimes called an Edison plug, standard 15 amp house plug). A standard house jack may have a 15 amp circuit breaker or a 20 amp circuit breaker (CB)in your panel. It's always best to know what CB supplies what outlets an appliances, both in the home and the RV.
The 4 pole trailer light connector does JUST that, lighting. You need a 7 pole connector for trailer brakes and also trickle charging your RV battery. If you have the tow package on your truck, you likely have a 7 pole connector. Newer truck tow packages often include the brake controller, older ones like my explorer just have a controller plug to plug one into. If, when, you get a controller, get one that specifically states it is proportional and NOT timed. I bought a timed one and got my brakes really smoking a few times. Timed increases braking power the longer you hold the brakes. Proportional uses an accelerometer to know to lessen the braking power as you slow down. The timed based controllers cost half as much as the proportional ones.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

mat60
Explorer
Explorer
LVJJJ wrote:
hope the former owner didn't die in it, like the $50 Corvette
:B
2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
hope the former owner didn't die in it, like the $50 Corvette
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
Just to answer the most important question. Electric requirements. The 30 amp to 15 amp adapter will allow you to plug into your house outlet but WILL NOT run the air conditioner. It will let you check lights, run microwave if it has one, run refrig. etc. Be very careful where you plug your 30amp plug in! It is NOT 220v so a dryer receptacle will NOT work! Do not turn on your water heater until you are sure there is water in the tank! Contacting newman is a good idea but I don't know how to search for forum members.

Wrong, my 15 amp home circuit runs my TT A/C just fine, even with a 16/2 extension cord. Not ideal, but it works. Not something I'd do for a long time, but do it once in a while. Must have better electricity here in the rain.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
livemusic wrote:
bob213 wrote:
Just to answer the most important question. Electric requirements. The 30 amp to 15 amp adapter will allow you to plug into your house outlet but WILL NOT run the air conditioner. It will let you check lights, run microwave if it has one, run refrig. etc. Be very careful where you plug your 30amp plug in! It is NOT 220v so a dryer receptacle will NOT work! Do not turn on your water heater until you are sure there is water in the tank! Contacting newman is a good idea but I don't know how to search for forum members.

Say, why wouldn't I be able to try the a/c if I plug into the house? I know little about electricity; I do know I don't wanna die lol.

What about plugging into a generator for a/c? I know people do that. What does a generator have that my house would not? BTW, I have a Coleman 5000 ER Powermate Maxa generator.

I got up on top of trailer and see it's a Coleman a/c but don't see any markings on it, how do you tell what it is and the power draw and such?

The battery in the battery box is 2005 vintage lol! I am surprised the cells are full of water. I do have a brand new trolling motor battery, I guess that would work?

Your AC probably won't run continually on a 15 amp outlet. It might start, but the breaker will probably kick off after a bit. A 20 amp outlet will do it.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't just plug in the a/c. Make sure your circuit can handle the amps. You could do some damage to the a/c or to the circuit or the breaker. You will not die, however.

One more note -- even though this all seems overwhelming, you will gradually get a lot more comfortable with this whole process. Be patient with yourself, and be ready to laugh at your own mistakes.

And be sure to ask lots of questions here -- us old guys were once newbies, too.

Hang in there!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
It kind of depends on the wiring and extension cord you use. But generally if you plug in at home using the adapter you will probably pull too much power, resulting in a low voltage condition that can burn out the AC compressor.

Use your generator and the trailer cord 30a plug if possible and you will be fine.

If you have to use the adapter then keep an eye on the adapter (touch it with the hack of your hand don't grab onto it) to see if it's getting hot. You don't want it to melt down your trailer cord which can happen if the connection happens to have some abnormally high resistance..
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
“but for short hauls, it seems to be okay”

Not likely. Short hauls still require you to stop quickly. Short hauls will heat up and stress everything...TV and TT tires, brakes and the TV’s engine oil, radiator, transmission etc. within five miles. Don’t start off unsafe and abusing your current truck.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
you wont die you just wont draw enough amperage.
genny should work fine for a test
2005 deep cycle still intact is impressive. Your marine dep cycle will be fine as long as you get 12V with enough a.h. for your liking.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

livemusic
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:

Say, why wouldn't I be able to try the a/c if I plug into the house? I know little about electricity; I do know I don't wanna die lol.

What about plugging into a generator for a/c? I know people do that. What does a generator have that my house would not? BTW, I have a Coleman 5000 ER Powermate Maxa generator.

I got up on top of trailer and see it's a Coleman a/c but don't see any markings on it, how do you tell what it is and the power draw and such?

The battery in the battery box is 2005 vintage lol! I am surprised the cells are full of water. I do have a brand new trolling motor battery, I guess that would work?

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
donn0128 wrote:
PM newman fulltimer. He is a mobile tech located in LA that could come check things out and give you training on how stuff works.

I think this is a great idea. Nothing better to get an in-person training on how to operate things. And you'll get one way of doing it versus 59 million through the forum. You can also get all your questions answered at once instead of trying to wade through repeat answers for something new.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

mat60
Explorer
Explorer
I no everyone seems to dislike YouTube but there is some good information on there along with allot on this forum.
2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
going to want to get a break controller in the truck with a proper 7 pin connection.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

WVJayco
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the easiest and most inexpensive advise that I can offer you. Try and think of any Travel Trailer experienced friends, neighbors, or anyone that you can think of to spend some quality time teaching you about your travel trailer. That would be so much easier and more informative than trying to sort through all the replies you are going to get. Almost all RVers take pride in the hobby and enjoy showing others how they work. Heck, the first thing I did is looked to see if you were close by so that I could help.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

2017 Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel, Crew Cab
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE