Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help Needed to pair new Tahoe w/ TT

DANSKIR
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Guys,
I'm a newbie here. Looking to purchase a TT and TV really soon. Given all the towing horror stories going around, I'm very apprehensive about subjecting my wife and 2 small kids to anything that might be dangerous. Of course, the dealerships and reps are all telling me I'm completely in the clear. I've read through countless posts trying to confirm this is a safe pairing but can't find anything completely on point. I could really use some expert advice on whether this pairing is a bad idea before I pull the trigger.

I'm looking to buy a 2017 Chevy Tahoe w/ Max Trailering package that comes with INTEGRATED TRAILER BRAKE CONTROLLER.

Here are the Chevy Tahoe specs:
engine: 5.3L EcoTec3 V8
wheelbase: 116in
Towing capacity: 8,600 lbs.
length: 204in
rear axle ratio: 3.42
Gross Combined Weight Rating: 14,000 lbs.
Rear Axle Rating: 4300 lbs.
Actual unloaded weight (only driver and gas): 3408 lbs.
Dry Weight: 5356 lbs.

The TT we're looking at is the Forest River Wildcat Maxx lite T265BHX.
Here are the specs:
GVWR: 7828 lbs.
Hitch Weight: 828 lbs.
UVW: 6496 lbs.
CCC: 1332 lbs.
Exterior Length: 31' 8"

The TT dealership is talking about installing the Fastway E2 distribution hitch.

Whats the verdict? Anyone heard of that hitch? any recommendations to make it safer? Or, is this a dangerous pairing? Thanks so much for the help.
47 REPLIES 47

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
My son in law had about the same setup. Pure white knuckle driving. Took most of the fun out of each trip worrying about the drive there and then home. You need more tow vehicle.

My Tahoe and trailer is not white knuckle driving but my trailer is around 29 1/2 feet and 6500# loaded and ready to roll. It pulls straight with no wiggle in the middle. I just don't have enough power. I have been all over CA, he will for sure need more power on those climbs. A Tahoe will tow great with the right hitch. When I retire I will have a diesel, but I will also probably have a bigger trailer.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Heres the issue really, while you may be within its limits you are at the upper limits which means you have absolutely no reserve to work with. Its an expensive mistake if you get a tow vehicle and find out that its not fun driving to where ever you are going...every truck that passes you will wiggle you around and you will be white knuckled all the way and exhausted when you arrive. Plus, I see you are in CA, you have big mountains and you need reserve power to get up the hills and lots of braking power going down the hills. Its expensive to correct if you find out you made the wrong choice.

DANSKIR
Explorer
Explorer
Wow thanks for all the awesome feedback. We really like both the TT and TV but definitely dont want to do snything that can be dangerous.

Definitely wont be completely accurate but Foubd info from this: http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/tahoe/2016.tab1.html
the curb weight is 5466 lbs
The payload is 1702 lbs.
Gvwr: is 7100 lbs
Assuming the loaded weight is 7800# and tongue weight is right around the 1k point.

Still a no go?

Thanks

Liza007
Explorer
Explorer
Don't do it. If you haven't bought the Tahoe, don't.

If you are looking at a GMC/Chevy Suburban type vehicle then go for the XL Yukons with the tow package and the bigger engines; 2500 at least

DOUBLE CHECK THE RPO STICKER IN THE GLOVE BOX AND MAKE SURE THAT IT REALLY IS RATED TO TOW AND IF IT HAS THE AUX. COOLER.

NEVER (EVER) go by what the salesman says

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
My son in law had about the same setup. Pure white knuckle driving. Took most of the fun out of each trip worrying about the drive there and then home. You need more tow vehicle.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
JnJnKatiebug wrote:
Look at my profile for a picture of the hitch I use on my Tahoe.

To make it easy for others ...

Similar to an Equal-i-zer, I'm guessing a Husky Centerline? :@
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
Look at my profile for a picture of the hitch I use on my Tahoe.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
JnJnKatiebug wrote:
I have that exact same Tahoe. A full tank of gas with just me inside weighs 5960 pounds (me 200#).

So my earlier guess of ~ 5700 lbs was pretty close to your base weight of 5760 lbs. Add ~ 100 lbs for weight distribution and we're talking ~ 5860 lbs for this vehicle, full tank of gas, no one in it and no cargo, but ready to be hitched to a trailer. IIRC it's GVWR is 7300 lbs - subtract 5860 lbs and we have a maximum potential payload of 1440 lbs. Subtract even 1000 lbs for trailer tongue weight and that leaves a mere 440 lbs for all people and all cargo added to the vehicle as well. If the actual scaled weight is even higher the story will be even worse. My own view is if this Tahoe isn't negotiable to a 3/4 ton then the OP really needs to downsize the trailer to something more reasonable, say 6000 lbs fully loaded & ready to camp, with an average gross tongue weight somewhere around 750 to 800 lbs. Even at that he's going to end up using pretty well all of his available payload capacity. Regardless, none of this is going to compensate for an excessively short wheelbase of just 116" so the shorter the trailer the better if he insists on this Tahoe as a TV.

My own anecdotal story ...

For several years I towed our KZ Spree triple bunk bed trailer which averaged ~ 5500 lbs loaded and ready to camp, measured 26' 9" coupler to bumper, with our 2006 Silverado, 5.3L, 3.42 axles coupled to a wide ratio 4-spd transmission. Wheelbase of that vehicle was 143.5" and using an Equal-i-zer to glue the two together the combination towed well, 'though certainly steep upgrades would have me towing in 2nd rather than 3rd, Tow / Haul always engaged. When the lease expired on that truck I bought our current 2005 Avalanche - same engine, same transmission, same axle ratio - but with a shorter 130" wheelbase. Towing stability didn't change but I did find it easier to back into campsites where access to the site was really tight ... but I certainly wouldn't want any shorter a wheelbase for towing a travel trailer of this size. These days I tow a shorter couple's trailer averaging ~ 4500 lbs loaded & ready to camp, measuring 22' 6" coupler to bumper, but interestingly it doesn't tow significantly better than it did with the Spree which was ~ 1000 lbs heavier. Wind resistance created by a trailer's "barn door" profile is the culprit and only when I strip the trailer at the end of the season do I notice any towing advantage at all.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
I have that exact same Tahoe. A full tank of gas with just me inside weighs 5960 pounds (me 200#). My trailer is 29 1/2 feet from hitch to bumper and weights 6480 off the lot with battery and full propane. We have managed to only add about 500# to travel (no water)plus the wife and dog in the Tahoe. We use a Husky Centerline Hitch. It drives fine at 60 to 65 mph but it lacks on power in the hills. Do yourself a favor and skip the Tahoe. Do like the others have stated, get a 2500 crew cab truck and put a bed cover on it to haul your gear. If you go with a gas engine get the 6.2 with Max Trailering Package. If you really want to be safe and happy go with the Duramax. Whatever you do don't go cheap on the hitch.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tongue weight is subtracted from the TV max cargo capacity.

Basically, more TT tongue weight means less people and camp gear and toys.

My 5000 lb dry weight TT weighs 6200 lbs across the scales when loaded for the road. This puts 750 lbs on the tongue.

This plus my wife, dog and gear put me at my max cargo limit.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
According to Chevy's trailering guide, pg12, in the bottom notes section, the "Trailer tongue weight should be 10% to 15% of total loaded trailer weight (up to 1,000 lbs.)".
The tongue weight of the 265BHX trailer you are considering is already at 13%(828#) of the dry weight 6500#. Loaded up ready to camp I estimate the tongue to be 13 to 15% of 7800#. (1014 to 1170lbs)
My TT at 7200# is closer to 1200 tongue weight with a full water tank. I replaced the 20# propane tanks with 30's and added a 2nd battery. But my Suburban is a 3/4ton and has a classV hitch receiver with a 2400# tongue weight capacity and 16000# tow rating which exceeds the TV's ratings.
The newer Tahoe/Suburbans have an integral hitch receiver with a crumple zone built in. That is where the 1000# hitch weight limit comes from. The real limit on the newer Tahoe/Suburbans is the receivers. But the dealer sales person doesn't have a clue about it. They just regurgitate the max tow rating of 8600# and you get stuck with a trailer that is too tongue heavy for the hitch.
It's really nice that you're doing your homework before signing on the dotted line.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
DANSKIR wrote:
Hey Guys,
I'm a newbie here. Looking to purchase a TT and TV really soon. Given all the towing horror stories going around, I'm very apprehensive about subjecting my wife and 2 small kids to anything that might be dangerous. Of course, the dealerships and reps are all telling me I'm completely in the clear. I've read through countless posts trying to confirm this is a safe pairing but can't find anything completely on point. I could really use some expert advice on whether this pairing is a bad idea before I pull the trigger.

I'm looking to buy a 2017 Chevy Tahoe w/ Max Trailering package that comes with INTEGRATED TRAILER BRAKE CONTROLLER.

Here are the Chevy Tahoe specs:
engine: 5.3L EcoTec3 V8
wheelbase: 116in
Towing capacity: 8,600 lbs.
length: 204in
rear axle ratio: 3.42
Gross Combined Weight Rating: 14,000 lbs.
Rear Axle Rating: 4300 lbs.
Actual unloaded weight (only driver and gas): 3408 lbs.
Dry Weight: 5356 lbs.

The TT we're looking at is the Forest River Wildcat Maxx lite T265BHX.
Here are the specs:
GVWR: 7828 lbs.
Hitch Weight: 828 lbs.
UVW: 6496 lbs.
CCC: 1332 lbs.
Exterior Length: 31' 8"

The TT dealership is talking about installing the Fastway E2 distribution hitch.

Whats the verdict? Anyone heard of that hitch? any recommendations to make it safer? Or, is this a dangerous pairing? Thanks so much for the help.

I had almost the same setup on my truck this is what I did to be able to pull my TT that is only 6,500lbs loaded.
1. Changed the gear ratio in the rear end from a 3.08 to 3.73 which also requires a tuner to correct the shift patterns.
2. Bought and installed a Super Tuner FlashPaq to correct shift points back to stock.
3. Installed an additional tranny cooler for a total of 3 all together. May be overkill but on a 6,000 mile trip through the west coast in summer tranny never got over 175 degrees.
4. Changed tires on TV to a heavier load rated set.
5. A good quality weight distribution hitch and sway controls.
6. installed break controller and installed fuse in fuse box to charge TT batteries while I am towing.
I did all that to tow just 6,500lbs and it did just fine but I would not pull anything heavier without going up to a bigger truck. In my honest opinion you are over loading your current TV and pushing its limitations. I think you should look into a smaller TT if you have not already bought.
And the previous poster is correct never listen to the dealers they just want you money and that is it. Most of the dealers I went to kept telling me I could tow up to a 7,000 lbs fifth wheel with my truck in its stock form. And when they informed me of this I always called them on it because we both knew they where full of ****.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for a 3/4-ton crew cab with that trailer. Between the soft springs on the SUV and the weight of your passengers, gear, and trailer tongue you'll be over on your Tahoe gross weight. And it won't be a fun ride.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Bols2DawaLL
Explorer
Explorer
Just a reminder , do NOT let any dealer influence your decision , they will tell you what you want to hear and they do not have a clue regarding real life towing situations . They simply just want to make a sale .

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are in a better position than most, You have not bought anything yet. Its all about the payload, figure that out and you will have the answer. The closer to the limits the less desirable the tow, I would say if you are not over the payload the experience will not be great. It may sound crazy but look at a 2500 Chevy crew cab and have no worries moving forward. I towed a 34 foot 8500lb trailer fully loaded for 5 years with a half ton and just upgraded to a 2500 world of difference