cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help!!!! Travel Trailer Back in

organcory97
Explorer
Explorer
I feel so dumb and miss out on a lot of campgrounds, as my anxiety hits an all new level when trying to back in to a site. Part of that anxiety occurs when people are watching me fail, lol. What gives?
41 REPLIES 41

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed a guy backing into a tight campsite in a state park one time, and he took a good 45 minutes getting the trailer in there. I admired his patience and persistence. I doubt anyone nearby was judging him, laughing about it, or anything negative. We're all there to enjoy ourselves and backing in is part of the process.

Personally, I was lucky to have a positive experience early in life. I was about 15 years old and we lived on a dirt road out in farm country. Dad needed to get a disk loaded onto a flatbed wagon, so he parked the wagon in a deep enough ditch 1/8 mile down the road, such that the bed was nearly level with the road. Then he walked home and informed me that I was to tow the disk with the other tractor to that location and back the disk up so it would be sideways on the wagon bed. I was unnerved, obviously. But I just kept jockeying it around and in about 10 minutes I had it on the wagon. No one was around to watch, and maybe that helped. Boy, did I feel a great sense of achievement! I never again feared backing up trailers.

Like someone else suggested, go find an empty parking lot at an 'off' time and practice trying to back your trailer into a parking spot. You can't hurt anything, and you'll gain both skill and confidence.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Natural to feel pressured those first few seasons of backing a rig. For sure get somewhere open and practice with your spotter. I insist on radios or phone contact so theres no yelling/gesturing etc. Back in the day if we got really out of shape I did a "lap" of the campground and then started over. This gave me cool down time and cleared all the folks behind me out. Its all part of the lifestyle.
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
That anxiety is the enemy so try to let it go. Those people watching don't matter. Don't be too concerned about blocking traffic either. Backing in from the drivers side, meaning turning to the left is easier. Position your mirror so you can see the wheels of the trailer and pick a point to start your turn and when the wheels are at that point start your turn. One hand at 6 o'clock and turn the wheel the direction you want to turn. Take your time and go slow. I stop and get out when I feel the need to go look. Don't feel pressured. Don't be rushed. You will wreck your trailer if you try to be fast about it when you don't have the confidence to do it yet....but that confidence will come with practice. You can do it.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Practice practice practice, and here's my tip. I saw the other about 6 o'clock but this might woke better. Hold the top of the wheel with both hands, which way do you want the back of the RV to go? Your thumb will point the way you need to turn the wheel. Depending on your RV some turn quick so when you see it move it's already too late, you need to learn yours and may have to anticipate when. The shorted it is the quicker it's going to turn.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
As stated above - practice and attitude. Take the time to do it under no pressure in an open setting to build up your comfort a bit. Then, as Sjm suggested, own it when you get to the campground. Allow yourself to be inexperienced. If others are looking on, laugh a bit and joke with them that you are just learning, and take your time.

Every driver towing a trailer has been a beginner at some point - don't let it become a barrier, just give yourself the time to work through it.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
We have all been there including the lookers. Lol. Just wave and say hi , and tell them this may take a bit. But dont get flustered, take your time and do it right. Dont listen to helpers that you haven't asked for help. Just say thanks but i need to learn. ( they can really mess you up, turn left right , not i ment the other right!). And what they said above. And remember everyone will still screw up, even experienced drivers. Hell i backed in once perfect in a spot where i was supose to remove the fencing to back in, didn't know that at the time. It was a one shot and fast. Guy next to me was amazed i even fit it in the spot. Then he told me about the fence. And the next time out had a footbal feild to back up onto and couldn't get the TT stright on the site. Took me like 15 times to get it close and i gave up. Lucky it was a big site!
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Go to a empty parking lot and practice. Take some small markers (tin cans, boards, etc) and a ruler to set up some practice sites. If someone travels with you develop a set of hand signals. Radios are helpful but don't rely on them entirely.

If someone is helping keep them visible and if not foot on the brake. They are responsible for the rear of the trailer including ground and roof level. You are responsible for the front of the trailer and the TV.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

organcory97
Explorer
Explorer
BarabooBob wrote:
Backing a TT into a camping spot is just like performing at Carnegie Hall. All it takes is practice, practice, practice. Can anyone identify the reference?

Now to get serious. Practice with a spotter. Before you start backing in, get out of the vehicle and decide where you want the TT to be within the parking area. Go SLOW. We use 2 way radios so that we don't have to yell at each others. If things so sideways, get out, look at what is going on and try again.

All of those people that you think are looking at you were once beginners also. Some of them just don't have a good enough memory to remember back that far.

Hahahahaha Yeah i hear ya. I will remember that.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Backing a TT into a camping spot is just like performing at Carnegie Hall. All it takes is practice, practice, practice. Can anyone identify the reference?

Now to get serious. Practice with a spotter. Before you start backing in, get out of the vehicle and decide where you want the TT to be within the parking area. Go SLOW. We use 2 way radios so that we don't have to yell at each others. If things so sideways, get out, look at what is going on and try again.

All of those people that you think are looking at you were once beginners also. Some of them just don't have a good enough memory to remember back that far.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

organcory97
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome Thanks..

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always call out to those campers watching me back in that Iโ€™ll show them how not to do it three or four times and then do it right! DONโ€™T WORRY ABOUT IT! Go slow, get out and check, remain positive! Find an empty parking lot and practice.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Seon
Explorer II
Explorer II
Place one hand on the steering wheel at the 6 o'clock position. Then turn the wheel to the side where you want your trailer to go. You'll be fine with a little practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVVEl917UOU