cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Understanding How Factories Detemine Truck Weights

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Posted this in 2 truck forums, got several replies but haven't gotten an answer to how they determine that yellow sticker weight, so I thought I'd post here where all the experts reside. Help me understand..... How do they determine truck weights in addition to just putting it on a scale.
My '13 XLT Screw HD Eco came with the yellow sticker saying it has a 2172 payload capacity & it has a GVWR of 8200 lbs. According to the sticker, 2172 - 8200, the truck weighted 6028 lbs when it left the factory. I took it to the only scales within 130 miles (sand & gravel scales) right off the lot the same day. Full tank of gas (36gal) and me (220#) and no dealer added extras. The weights were front axle 3520, rear axle 2680, total was 6200 lbs. That's a 172 lbs difference. Now that only leaves 2000# of payload not 2172 the sticker says. ?????
How did they determine that this truck only weighed 6028 lbs at the factory? Do they have a body that only weighs 150 lbs in there driving and only 19.5 gallons of gas? Cuz adding the other 70 lbs of body and 16.5 gallons of gas would add the other 172 lbs. Mystery to me.

Milo
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker 😉
17 REPLIES 17

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
milo wrote:
Posted this in 2 truck forums, got several replies but haven't gotten an answer to how they determine that yellow sticker weight, so I thought I'd post here where all the experts reside. Help me understand..... How do they determine truck weights in addition to just putting it on a scale.

They have a large data base that has every option specification listed
and one item is it's weight

Then the computer adds up all of the options and adds it to the curb
weight.

That is the shipping weight and the basis for the yellow label

Must be accurate because it is the basis for payment to the shipper,
who charges by weight vs distance (my guess)

As told by a manager who retired from one of the US OEMs. He might
comment on this. Keith?

My '13 XLT Screw HD Eco came with the yellow sticker saying it has a 2172 payload capacity & it has a GVWR of 8200 lbs. According to the sticker, 2172 - 8200, the truck weighted 6028 lbs when it left the factory. I took it to the only scales within 130 miles (sand & gravel scales) right off the lot the same day. Full tank of gas (36gal) and me (220#) and no dealer added extras. The weights were front axle 3520, rear axle 2680, total was 6200 lbs. That's a 172 lbs difference. Now that only leaves 2000# of payload not 2172 the sticker says. ?????
How did they determine that this truck only weighed 6028 lbs at the factory? Do they have a body that only weighs 150 lbs in there driving and only 19.5 gallons of gas? Cuz adding the other 70 lbs of body and 16.5 gallons of gas would add the other 172 lbs. Mystery to me.

Milo
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to add...that the OEMs use a very special trailer for the tow ratings, MTWR

Wish someone would repost that picture, as can not find it using the search function here

The trailers are flat bed with no frontal above the TV.

Weights placed to optimize tongue percentage and handling, etc
-Ben Picture of my rig
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
This comes up all the time...and most who have not gone through this
before...go away to not talk about this again...deny and argue...or
some actually understand how this works-especially those who went
out and actually weighed their TV

Pure marketing with some reality sprinkled in...meaning how else can
the OEMs do this and still be competitive with the public who believes
the marketing data as gospel...AKA "King of the Hill" or "mine is
bigger than yours"

Reality, as how else can they provide a manageable level of rows/columns/etc

Meaning if they listed every option on a row with a column for the
various ratings.

Like a row for 4x4 and columns for MTWR, Payload, GCWR, etc

Then a row for 4x4 & AC and columns for MTWR, Payload, GCWR, etc

Then a row for 4x4 & AC & power seats/windows/locks and columns for
MTWR, Payload, GCWR, etc

and so on, and so on, and so on...betcha that would be dozens of sheets
and even more confusing than what we have now...where they define or
put into context with the fine print

This is my Suburban, as I've actually weighed it at a county weights
and measure certified (their sticker for that year) to be accurate
enough for commerce (sell by weight and charge money for that weight)

That 5,250 Lb CURB is on the California DMV data base and is provided
by GM, the OEM of my GMC Suburban. Against the VIN number.

These Calif SMOG test reports are official state documents and are
also legal documents that I'd use if I need to prove anything about
the data on my SMOG test/registration/etc

Have noodled what options I'd have to unbolt, cut out, etc in order
to get my Suburban down to the listed 'curb'...There wouldn't be any
carpet, sound insulation, 4x4, AC, automatic, etc, etc, etc

"Test Weight" is the 'curb' weight, not the actual...again, have
actually weighed it at a county weights and measure certified scale
at my local garden center

BenK wrote:
My Suburban GMT400/1996 was before the weight stickers on the the newer
TVs door...

So here are my numbers:

5,250 curb
8,600 GVWR

3,350 lb cargo/payload over curb

My 2014 smog certificate...note that this is an official state
document and the info supplied by each OEM for that VIN...
mysub mysuburban mysubsmog mysmog

mysubGVWR mysubdoor mysubdoorlable doorlabel subdoorlable

Mine weighs in around 7,200 at the local garden scales, county
weights&measure certified, with me (180) and toolbox (+200) and misc stuff (+50)

Also has full up option package, SLT, 4x4, big block, and over sized
wheels and tires

8,600 minus

1,400 lbs cargo/payload

All with a 6,000 RGAWR...that AAM rates at 10,000 GAWR. The 6K GAWR
GM lists is around 2,000 more than most 'half ton' TVs

Oh...also ordered the F60 option...which is the 1 ton front snow plow prep package
My FGAWR is 4,250 and near most half ton's rear GAWR.

And here is the glove box RPO code label listing every option that
my Sub left the factory with...plus I've added lots of stuff...how
many pages would the matrix listing each and each combo of options
take to list MTWR, GCWR, etc...

mysubrpo suburbanrpo mysuburbanrpo

{edit}...here is my 1980 Siliverado C10 Big Ten (1500HD of it's era)
and note the 'curb' vs GVWR

Ditto what would I have to unbolt/cut-out/etc to get it down to 'curb'

mytrucksmog mysilveradosmog trucksmog silveradosmog

Actual weight at the dumps...me (180), nephew (180), bed cap (~250),
over sized tires/wheels, tools, extra coolant, extra oil, etc, etc

This scale also had the county weights and measure certified sticker

mytruckweight truckweight silveradoweight truckdumpweight

vs it's door ratings label

mytruckdoorlabel truckdoorlabel mytruckgvwr truckgvwr
-Ben Picture of my rig

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
Weighed at the local dump my truck with me and 3/4 tank of fuel was dead on(+/-20lbs) at it's 8000lb recorded weight. My '07 F150 was dead on as well using the same scales.

Think most manufactures do a pretty decent job weighing them as they're leaving the production area.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
v10superduty wrote:
milo wrote:
Alrighty thanks for all your replies....

drittal ...no extras & no dealer add-ons as stated in the original post.

dshelly ... Don't have a problem ... was just curious bout how they got weighed.

goducks10 ... Great suggestion, but don't really need a DRW as tour little truck tows our little bread box just perty good alright.

Guess the best way to find out would be to go directly to one of the factories and see ...huh!

Thanks any way

Milo

In my mind you are questioning the number that is a "Fixed/known" one. The weight of the truck.
The real question is usually...how do the manufacturer determine the GVWR number?? This is the one that changes with application of magic pixie dust in some cases. :W

The weight of the truck they list is really the "empty" weight as it leaves the factory based on standard equipment.

Way back when I ordered my truck, we had a chart that shower 3 figures for every individual option (even tutone paint)

It went something like ......
total weight/front axle weight/rear axle weight.

A rear bumper for instance was an option and would lower front axle, increase rear and total weight.

It was so absurd back then cause every F250 had the same GVWR of 8800 lbs.
So a reg cab 4x2 5.4 gas had payload of about 4500 lbs but a Crewcab 4x4 diesel only had about 1800 lbs!
No wonder folks questioned the numbers.

V10superduty, I think you hit the nail on the head!!
When my 2001 was built Ram had one GVWR for all 2500, didn't matter if you ordered a Camper Package with bigger springs and tires still 8,8,00#.

Now days Holy Moley!!! :S
I think I looked at the 2015 F150 status sheet once or twice and like ten to fifteen different GVWR, increases in the 50# range for differences.

Looked at a Ram spec sheet also and saw much the same thing. No wonder people get confused.

The "Yellow" sticker is another piece of the confusion, just the payload as built more or less, but it doesn't have Front or Rear GAWR, OR GVWR on it that still requires looking at the VIN sticker.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

v10superduty
Explorer
Explorer
milo wrote:

dshelly ... Don't have a problem ... was just curious bout how they got weighed.

goducks10 ... Great suggestion, but don't really need a DRW as tour little truck tows our little bread box just perty good alright.

Guess the best way to find out would be to go directly to one of the factories and see ...huh!

Thanks any way

Milo

In my mind you are questioning the number that is a "Fixed/known" one. The weight of the truck.
The real question is usually...how do the manufacturer determine the GVWR number?? This is the one that changes with application of magic pixie dust in some cases. :W

The weight of the truck they list is really the "empty" weight as it leaves the factory based on standard equipment.

Way back when I ordered my truck, we had a chart that shower 3 figures for every individual option (even tutone paint)

It went something like ......
total weight/front axle weight/rear axle weight.

A rear bumper for instance was an option and would lower front axle, increase rear and total weight.

It was so absurd back then cause every F250 had the same GVWR of 8800 lbs.
So a reg cab 4x2 5.4 gas had payload of about 4500 lbs but a Crewcab 4x4 diesel only had about 1800 lbs!
No wonder folks questioned the numbers.
2000 F250 V10 dragin a 2005 Titanium 29E34RL

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II

Thanks any way

Milo
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker 😉

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
If you had been standing beside the truck when the weight was checked, it was probably within 75 pounds of the factory sticker. So changing the fuel level will get it to the factory weight exactly, on that scale.

Like stated above, changing to another scale might change the weight by 100 pounds or more.

If you needed a truck with exactly 2,200 pounds or a little more, then you could have selected a truck with a 3,000+ pound cargo rating, and then be sure that you would not be over the GVWR with the trailer you planned on towing, even if you decided to bring along a generator, some extra firewood, or something else.

Good luck with your new purchase.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
The yellow payload sticker assumes full fluids and the truck otherwise completely empty. My guess is the difference between the 172 and your weight, 220, is just scale error.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Get a DRW and don't worry about it. 🙂

dshelley
Explorer
Explorer
I don't understand your problem. The factory's empty weight was no doubt what the truck weighed on their scale at a certain time, temperature and humidity with a few gallons of fuel and nothing else. After the fuel tank was filled you weighed it, with you in it, and saw a very unlikely even number of 6200 pounds. Both front and rear weights were even numbers, perhaps rounded off to the nearest 10 or 20 pounds. Both scales have a plus or minus tolerance of a certain percentage, either or both may be out of calibration and the one you used seems to provide a reading to some closest even number. You and any added fuel after it left the factory and those variables could certainly account for that 172 pound difference.
GVWR is not a legal requirement, it's a recommended number to remain within to ensure a wide safety envelope for varying driving conditions. Your never exceed weight number would be the sticker's rear axle rating minus your 2680 rear scale reading.
2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab, 5'7"box. 395 HP 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 gear, 8 speed auto. 26 foot Heartland North Trail Caliber travel trailer.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
150# driver and 20# cargo........magical marketing

And as has been posted......sand/gravel scale accuracy could be off 200#

My bathroom scale LIES!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen Oregon DOT scales vary by 200lbs. Never sweated it much as my truck, pretty much the same as yours, provides plenty of payload for my trailer and gear.

Good luck,
Stu
2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

drittal
Explorer
Explorer
First, you are 70lbs over the 150# they use to calculate weight. So you're down to 102.

Do you have any aftermarket accessories? Or extra stuff in the cab or box?

Edit*** great post about scale discrepancy.