cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help us pick!!

Shadowlove
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I have two girls, ages 13 and 6. We currently have a 1990 Coleman Chesapeake popup, that we bought in 2010. We're in New England and camp 2 or 3 times a summer.
The canvass on the pop up has seen way better days, the roof is getting soft as is the floor. We know it's time to upgrade. But we don't know to what?!
We first were looking at hybrid models, as we tow with an SUV (Chrysler Aspen), and due to the fact my husband would like to stay between 20-25 feet. We fell in love with the Rockwood Roo 23IKSS. However at a dealership the sales guy pointed out everything that "could go wrong" with a hybrid, and explained how his dealership doesn't even order new hybrids anymore. Then we started looking at TT with a Murphy bed and bunks. We found the Keystone Bullet Crossfire 2070BH. We really liked it, even though the floor space was less then the Rockwood. However my concern was the narrow bunks. My 13 year old is really broad in the shoulder area. I don't want her outgrowing the bunks in a year or two.
What are some of the things you love about your HTT, some of the things you hate about it? Does anyone regret buying a HTT, and wished they would have bought a regular TT instead?
19 REPLIES 19

epeters
Explorer
Explorer
We've had our HTT since 2007 and love it. Many happy memories! We are from the PNW and so we've been thru downpours, blazing sun (100+ degrees) and freezing weather (below 30) and haven't had any issues. We've even pulled it through a trip thru the SW (3,000+ mile trip). Care for it and it will pose no more issues than any other trailer (manufacturing issues aside).

With the tow vehicle you have, I'd think the HTT would be more in the zone of capability than the trailer, especially with four people. But I haven't compared the specs of your vehicle and the two different trailers.

My two cents.
Erik

DW, DS, DD
2018 Nash 29S
2017 GMC Sierra
Retired --> 2004 Silverado Crewcab 1500
2008 Starcraft Antiqua - traded in
2003 Fleetwood Mesa - gone
Photos

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
First, we too are from Maine. We are now on our third hybrid, and we don't see the day when we will upgrade.

That salesman will point out everything wrong with an hybrid for the simple reason he's not educated on what the HTT look like today, and he wants to make a sale.....period!

Hybrids nowadays are so much easier to setup. Open those front and back doors and install the poles inside, and that is all.....no more poles to support the doors, or velcro to attach the tents.

We have a 2016 Rockwood Roo 23WS, and that model has a private bedroom in the back with a wardrobe.......simply beautiful hybrid.
Another Thing.....Only Popups and Hybrids have two queen size beds.

Those are all the reasons why we love our HTT, but like many are mentioning: it is not for everyone.

All the Best
Dre

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Check out this KZ toy hauler with a fold out bunk. The sofa in the back makes a full size bed. You might not even need to use the fold out bunk. this KZ toy hauler

Take a look at other small toy haulers. You can use the "toy" space for some versatile sleeping arrangements.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
We love our hybrid and I have not seen a camper (new or used) yet that I would rather have.

Now I am doing everything I possibly can to make it last forever!

Note - We have camped in it in 20 degree weather many times. We live in it 4 months out of the year. STILL would not trade it for any other I have ever seen.

I've owned a pop-up and two travel trailers prior to this one. I love how the beds do not take up precious floor space.

It really does come down to what YOU prefer.

Have FUN!
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
When we decided to switch from a pop-up to a TT, we first considered HTT's. Like you, we liked the smaller footprint, and the idea of having the tent ends, still gave us that open feeling.

But then reality finally sat in when we remembered what we did not like about having a pop-up in the first place ... rain and cold. With an HTT, if it's raining, you're still closing up shop wet. And for cold weather camping, it's still more challenging to heat.

Granted, they have come a long way with them since 2004, and folks with HTT's have found creative ways to keep them warm and keep water out. For us though, the ease of just parking and going with the extra set-up of tent ends, wet, and cold was enough to steer us to a regular hard sided trailer.

Sometimes, I miss the pop-up, the open outdoor (tent) feeling. But I've never missed the work it takes to set up or take down.

Another consideration was the usability of the trailer while in tow. If you are planning on traveling distances that require overnights on-the-road, you might not always be able to pull the bunk-ends out. Especially with kids, where does everyone sleep?

This was also another reason why we opted for the TT instead of the HTT.

Good luck in your choice. It's your choice, I can only share my reasons why we opted for something else. But there are many happy HTT's owners out there too!

With EVERY RV style, there are positives and negatives. Like I said, one negative of a regular TT is the absence of that open feeling, and lack of wind that can pass through. Trailers just don't provide enough wind-air flow.