cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with fridge and pilot light

Airborn805
Explorer
Explorer
My father in law is set to take his 30ft cougar fifth wheel out for a 2 month trip but realized his pilot ligh to his oven and fridgerator won't start up on propane mode. The water heater kicks on fine and the fridge works when connected to electricity. After checking all the fuses and circuits and getting new propane tanks and having them filled the fridge still wont go on. When we start e fridge you can here it clicking but it won't turn over' and the oven pilot light won't lite up either. It's almost like there is no propane getting there. They have had the trailer for two years and use it several months of the year. Any ideas what would cause this? Both these units are located on a slide and I thought maybe the propane have got pinched but couldn't find anything abnormal. Any help would much be appreciated
Sean
4 REPLIES 4

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Hopefully it was as simple as pulling the hose away from what was pinching it. Thanks for updating us.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Airborn805
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the info. Upon further investigations found that there was a piece of flex house that got pinched inside the slide which closed off the gas supply.
Sean

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
The first time I take my trailer out of storage it takes a good 30 seconds to purge the air out of the lines and light the stove burners. Turn on all the stove burners and let them burn for about 20-30 seconds to purge the air out of the lines. If you can burn all burners at once with a mostly blue flame you don't have a propane delivery problem. Now turn the burners off.

After purging with the stove burners try to light the pilot light on the oven. I use a standard propane log lighter that you can buy almost anywhere. Set the oven on pilot and then hold in the knob while applying flame with the lighter. If the pilot lights then hold the knob for another 15 seconds.

If the pilot won't light when holding the know then you have a problem. If the pilot lights and burns when holding the knob in, but it goes out when you release the knob, you have a thermal couple problem. The thermal couple is the metal rod above the pilot flame. If the flame is not heating the rod the pilot will go out. bend the rod slightly to make sure it is over the pilot flame.

Now try lighting the refrigerator. Turn it on and have someone go listen for the clicking. On my refrigerator it tries three separate times and if it fails to light after three attempts it shuts off and won't try again. If that happens turn the refrigerator off, wait about five seconds and then turn it back on again. It might take a few tries to get it lit. It will probably never light if you don't use the stove burners first.

If the above fails try running the furnace, then the water heater and then go back and try the refrigerator and stove again.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Turn on a stove burner and make sure that works. Presumably, that is near the refer and will help purge any air from that line. The refer doesn't use but a trickle of propane.

Same for the oven pilot - but that's normally a manual operation.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman