cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP

Wallace_9967
Explorer
Explorer
You aren't going to believe this but I'm locked inside my camper ! Apparently when my wife left to pickup our grandson , she locked the camper door but didn't return the key to it's proper position. I've removed the inside plate but no joy . Anyone have a suggestions ? I can get out the escape hatch .....but is there another way ?
30 REPLIES 30

gingerK
Explorer
Explorer
Funny that this came up and today on my FB page someone posted about a recall for locks that were locking people in their campers just like this!

agteacher
Explorer
Explorer
We camper host and a woman got locked in over the summer. Her husband took the kids to the movie for a couple hours and locked the door when he left. The wife was able to unlock the dead bolt but couldn't unlock the other one. The one that locks the latch doesn't have a lever on the inside. My husband got the key from her husband and unlocked the door. He gave the key to her and when the husband asked if he got her unlocked and could have his key back - he suspected he might be sleeping on the ground outside for the night.
camping buddies - my husband,:R
American Eskimo - Baby
07 Lance 915
2015 Ram 3500 Lonestar Edition
01 International 4700 - SOLD
99 Dodge 3500 Quad Long Bed,Cummins,Rhino Liner
06 WW SLC 3505 - SOLD
48 Ford 8N was a rustbucket
52 Ford 8N w/ Sherman 54B HydroHoe

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Ya- though ours is way earlier, I had to go and cycle ours. It works as intended, key will only come out in the vertical or 12:00 position between full right or left swing. Any position, key in or out the inside release lever will turn the dead bolt. Curious how key out could affect the manual release.
Sounds like the Dometic recall -affected dates kept moving.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

ISBRAM
Explorer
Explorer
JoeChiOhki wrote:
Mich F wrote:
AnEv942 wrote:
http://www.fastecindustrial.com/recall/Fastec%20Cylinder%20Recall%20letter.pdfDont see the 'red' plastic thingi on this so different lock?

The red plastic thingy (or inside latch) would be on the locking mechanism in image 3, along withe the inside plate, they also didn't show. The dates of this recall don't seem to fit the OP's situation, since he stated he has a 2005 unit

They also stated any lock that the key can be removed from a locked position without first returning to the horizontal, which blocks anyone inside from unlatching the door.

I checked mine when I got home and the key comes out at 9:00, and my key # is not on the list. I went to the web site and ordered replacements per the recall.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LB Cummins
2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 28RB

If you see me camped someplace stop and say hi, I've always got an extra ice cold beer.

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mich F wrote:
AnEv942 wrote:
http://www.fastecindustrial.com/recall/Fastec%20Cylinder%20Recall%20letter.pdfDont see the 'red' plastic thingi on this so different lock?

The red plastic thingy (or inside latch) would be on the locking mechanism in image 3, along withe the inside plate, they also didn't show. The dates of this recall don't seem to fit the OP's situation, since he stated he has a 2005 unit

They also stated any lock that the key can be removed from a locked position without first returning to the horizontal, which blocks anyone inside from unlatching the door.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
AnEv942 wrote:

2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
I went of fishing o'dark thirty and locked the door as my wife was sleeping. Turns out she could not get it to unlock from the inside. Good thing I limited early and found her still locked in. Took the lock apart and found nothing wrong but did lube it. I think a small rug got under the door and jammed it enough to keep things from working.

I know a guy that had a brand new camper and was stuck inside with three adults. This was before escape hatches so he had to remove a window to get out. Took awhile and he got cut up going out.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad

Though climbing out thru escape hatch because someone "inadvertently" locked another inside camper, after the fact & in this instance is funny. However doesn't negate the real issue or potential that this episode pointed out & should be addressed?
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
If she's got a cell phone, and you've got i'net access, send her a text. Go to www.vtext.com and fill in the blanks.

Jim, "Don't forget to feed Schrodinger's cat."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

rooney77
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the link to the recall for anyone that needs it.

http://www.fastecindustrial.com/recall/Fastec%20Cylinder%20Recall%20letter.pdf
1997 Minnie Winnie DL 29WU

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fastec Locks has a recall out right now about that because people were getting locked in.

Look it up and then look at your key. If it has FIC written on the handle, there's likely a code on it and you'll need to check it to the recall list, odds are yours needs the new cylinders and keys.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
I nominate this for "Funniest Thread Ever"!
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Tarkin75
Explorer
Explorer
This thread = Awesome:)

later
C

Wallace_9967
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the help! As far as updating my signature . I'll have to do that the problem I have is the site requires a certain size photo an I'm not that good on computer.