cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP

Wallace_9967
Explorer
Explorer
You aren't going to believe this but I'm locked inside my camper ! Apparently when my wife left to pickup our grandson , she locked the camper door but didn't return the key to it's proper position. I've removed the inside plate but no joy . Anyone have a suggestions ? I can get out the escape hatch .....but is there another way ?
30 REPLIES 30

Wallace_9967
Explorer
Explorer
FYI,
We have a Lance 881 (2005) the camper door latch was locked outside by wife an the key wasn't rotated back to it proper location thus locking the latch. The reason I posted this was because if anyone else is locked in an tries to open by twisting the red plastic lever they will break the plastic lever an have to purchase a new entire door latch as they don't sell the plastics lever!

bmanning
Explorer
Explorer
Fishbreath wrote:
Your wife owes you cookies.....

Bill

That's letting her off way too easy! If it was me & my wife, let's just say I'd get creative in what I'd request as a make-good :W

LOL

Kidding aside, glad you're safe and much better to be locked in than locked out.
BManning
baking in Phoenix :C
-2007 Volvo XC90 AWD V8
4.4L 311/325 V8 6sp Aisin loaded
6100lb GVW 5000lb tow
-1999 Land Cruiser
4.7L 230/320 V8 4sp A343 loaded
6860 GVW 6500lb tow
RV'less at the moment

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Our front escape hatch is a side cabover window. If our door stuck some camper damage would ensue before I used it. I have never tried to get out thru it-I assume at 8' off the ground 50/50 chance of one of us getting hurt-so unless the door itself is on fire thats where I'm heading.
At any rate I would address the lock. Thats crazy. Spare key inside & out.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Every RV I've had with the exception of a pop up, had two locks. One a regular lock, the other a dead bolt, both in the same lock unit, both of which could be unlocked from the inside. :h
Do you lock the door from the outside, then leave the key in the lock. :h
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wallace 9967 wrote:
she locked the camper door but didn't return the key to it's proper position

Have you done anything to annoy her lately ?
Sounds like a 'lady weapon' where they make it look like it was accidental. 🙂

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
That's terrible! You could have been locked in the camper for days.
Did you heve enough beer? :W

ISBRAM
Explorer
Explorer
This thread sounds like a commercial for Blonde Star, I mean On Star.

In any case if you can be locked inside, this would be a serious safety problem that the manufacture of the lock needs to address!
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LB Cummins
2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 28RB

If you see me camped someplace stop and say hi, I've always got an extra ice cold beer.

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
I believe it. I had that problem on my Six Pac.

I got locked into the camper somehow. I forget exactly why or how. I think I locked it then shut myself in for the night, then couldn't get out in the morning, as I remember it. Anyhow, I ended up going out the escape hatch, I think, and opening it from the outside.

I did take apart the lock and check it out. Something was worn out or malfunctioned. I don't remember how I fixed it, but I did fix it, so it would never happen again, and it didn't.

I remember thinking, if there had been some kind of emergency situation, say a fire or gas leak, coupled also with some other kind of unrelated physical injury at the same time, like a broken leg or something, such that I couldn't get out the escape hatch, I'd have had to bust out a window and jump out, which might not be possible, if I wasn't able to get out the escape hatch first...

Yeah, it's pretty important to be sure the only door in the camper does in fact work reliably, from inside or out, at all times.

Glad you got out!
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

CaptJeff1731
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of locks do you have? There is a recall on some of the locks on newer units , update your sig so we know what kind of rig you have so we all can help you better.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Umm what lock mech (or camper) is this that cant be released from inside due to external key position, or any other reason? Was key in door?-or can it be removed and leave door lock inoperable from inside?
Requiring key to orintate, so even breaking door window you still couldnt get out? Id be modding fixing disabling or replacing lock regardless of $$$.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Fishbreath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your wife owes you cookies.....

Bill

rooney77
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you're out and no damage was done.
1997 Minnie Winnie DL 29WU

SuperDutyFiver
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks God your internet wasn't out!!! 😉
36' Carriage Carri-Lite 35rl3
PSD 4x4 Custom Tow Vehicle-the 550
PSD 4X4 2017 CC short box
PSD 4x4 SUV-the X

Wallace_9967
Explorer
Explorer
Problem solved ! Used the hatch , brought the key back to it 's proper position . Latch works fine. The reason for posting is if I had forced the lock It would have split the plastic arm thus a new lock and $$$$ ! Thanks for the comeback !
Happy traveling

rooney77
Explorer
Explorer
Did your inner plate not have provisions for unlocking from the inside? I know mine does. If all else fails, you may be able to fit a knife/screwdriver inbetween the door and the wall to push the sticky outty part (technical term) back into the door.

That's pretty much how I get into my house when I've locked myself out.
1997 Minnie Winnie DL 29WU