cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hey y'all, I'm new to Good Sam.

Voncoly
Explorer
Explorer
  • I've tried to figure it out. I clicked on the Introduce yourself tab and it put me on posts from 4 years ago. I think probably why not as many people are on here is because there are so many very active FB RV Community Sites that are simpler to navigate. But, I've always been very determined LOL. Anyway, I'm about to to be a brand new Nomad. My husband passed away in January and I'm selling my house to live in my camper. Camper is all packed and ready. Everything checked and double checked. New tires, wheel bearings re-packed, LP tanks filled, new hitch battery, will weigh us once I'm out on Interstate 20 at scale. I feel blessed to be driving a 2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 with transmission cooler and pulling a 2018 Dutchman Aspen Trail 28 ft bumper pull. I took an online certification course for pulling a camper. The only thing I have to do is learn to hitch up new weight distribution bar and anti sway. My question for the community is, how important is this sway bar?  I watched a few videos about that you have to get out and disconnect if backing or hitch will be in a bind going in a driveway with a severe dip. Do y'all do all this jumping out and disconnecting for such?
3 REPLIES 3

pbeverly
Nomad
Nomad

Sway bar is important. When I check into a campground and while my vehicle and trailer are straight I disconnect my two bars and the friction bar before going to my site, takes less than a minute. 

Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

Thanks Beverly, what about this recommendation if going in a driveway with a severe dip. Is it going to do any harm, or should I throw the flashers on and unhook for this dip? Would it really do any harm if I don't disconnect for severe dips?  Or is it just the severe side to side like when backing?

I too would disconnect for backing for backing over dips or tighter turns. I have read my weight distribution hitch owners manual from cover to cover, nowhere does it mention or recommend disconnecting the torsion bars when backing. The system just makes a bunch of racket when backing which indicates stress. I don’t think it hurts a thing to take the few minutes it takes to disconnect them.