cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitch ball grease

Nvr_lost
Explorer
Explorer
I am new to travel trailers. How often do I need to put grease on the hitch ball? What kind do I buy and where do I find it?
52 REPLIES 52

Scooter86
Explorer
Explorer
I always use a little dab before a tow. Usually white lithium. You can buy spray on meant for lubing bike or motorcycle chains. A little expensive, but I always have some around for the toys anyways. I much prefer minimal noise from that area while underway.

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
I don't grease the ball or the WDH and probably never will.

I don't care if it is loud and probably never will. It's no louder than the maniac kid at the next campsite who is running around trying to find a squirrel to smash with his baseball bat, or the Jethros a few sites down who want to see the sun come up while drinking another bottle of Jim Beam and playing cornhole/washers/horseshoes. :C
2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

JAYHAWKERS
Explorer
Explorer
Any type of grease will do for the ball. But do not grease your weight distribution/anti sway bars (Equal-i-zer type). The contact points where the bars meet need the friction to do their job, and grease defeats the purpose.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think a hitch ball cost any more then a tub of ball grease. You can get a 20,000 lb ball for about 12 or 15 dollars. Ours is about 15 years old and if it ever wares out I will buy a new one and I still won't put grease on it

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I never grease my balls.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
I use White Lithium grease and inspect once or twice every year and have zero issues...

I also never unhook the Weight Distribution hitch from the ball. Instead, I unhook the WDH from the TRUCK and just leave everything hanging on the trailer when it's parked.

I don't have to worry about grease on my pant legs or anyone else's

2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. ๐Ÿ™‚

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
Question/suggestion - has anybody ever tried a graphite spray like Slip Plate on a ball type hitch? It is what we use on our older Pullrite 5th wheel hitch. You spray it on and once it dries it doesn't easily wipe off.

Just something somebody might want to try.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
My entire tongue assembly (coupler, chains, ball, bars, brackets... everything) is always completely covered in a thin film of spray-on grease. I find it eliminates noise, but that is only an added benefit. It prevents rust, and I live in an area where rust occurs rapidly.

All the scissor jacks and stab jacks are also completely covered in the same grease.

It is very messy, but I just stay back from it. Never had an issue with clothing getting dirty. Keeps the kids away from it too!

Nvr_lost
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. I had no idea my question would bring so much conversation. Thanks.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
K-Y Jelly ... Hitch ball for a male representation and a hitch coupler with a female representation...... WAY TO FUNNY! I about wet my pants laughing so hard on that one! I wonder how "Yours and Mine" would work? :B ๐Ÿ˜‰ :B (I think we'd have one bodaciously happy camper and tow vehicle!) :B

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
I always grease he ball and the pivot points as specified by Equl-i-zer. I put a cover over the ball and wipe the pivot points. The hitch has stayed in the truck this trip since Nov 15 2014. We have not had grease on our clothes.

I splurged and use the grease from Equal-i-zer. It comes in a handy little tube and will last for years.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

audio1der
Explorer
Explorer
I was given a very stern talking to by the mgr of our parts dept when buying some stuff about grease on the ball. They stated unequivically that it will attract dirt and grime, and wear down the ball and receiver. I now go dry and have never had an iaaue, AND clean clothes.

dave54
Nomad
Nomad
I carry bicycle parts with me, so I just use bike grease. A little goes a long ways.

I have a plastic ball cover that keeps legs and clothes clean. I made a cover from a bicycle inner tube for the little WD ball.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I use white lithium grease and if I'm going to leave the hitch on the truck I tie a plastic grocery bag over it. Grease is there for trip home and not on my pants.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
I use the cheapest bearing grease,

I also use aluminum foil to keep the grease off my pants legs
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit