cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

hitch ball lube

Bisker
Explorer
Explorer
Never lubed my hitch ball before, but the creaking is driving the DW crazy, what type to use and where do I get it?
32 REPLIES 32

Popupguy2001
Explorer
Explorer
Grease, your choice.
My Wife and I
2 boys 14 and 11
Certified BBQ Judge KCBS
Certified Chili Judge CASI
2005 Suburban 1/2 Ton 4WD
2006 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH

Wxguru
Explorer
Explorer
I still need to get in and clean inside the actual tongue of the trailer. Amazing how nasty it gets in there. I just applied grease to the hitch today after cleaning it real well. I also use the equalizer hitch, so I also apply light coating of oil on the bar mounts where they attach to the hitch.
2012 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Bighorn, 6.7L CTD
2011 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28A+KS
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Laramie, 6.7L CTD--Owned 1 week!
2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X2, 5.7L HEMI--Retired Dec 2012

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
For covering the greasy hitch ball I like my Fastway Ball Cover which is tethered to the shank of the ball.

The grease is neatly kept inside the cover.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Bisker
Explorer
Explorer
Picked up a can of lithum spray, thanks to all for the advice.

Pawpod
Explorer
Explorer
Petroleum jelly works great I found. And it washes off easy

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
wrenchbender wrote:
Once you lube it carry a few grocery bags in a handy spot to cover the ball when you remove the TT or else you will be wearing the lube

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Think of it as a rite of passage.

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
boo boo post
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
Once you lube it carry a few grocery bags in a handy spot to cover the ball when you remove the TT or else you will be wearing the lube

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
Isn't it about time to have a discussion on Maxxis? I think it's been a coupla months.

Now why did you have to go and mention the dreaded M-word ... :S

I see another thread started that will undoubtedly degenerate into another one of those threads I have to block. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Good tip re: "Spray can of white lithium for the ball and WD bars." - thanks. I too like to see some of the old subjects come up from time to time because new people, new technology / products, new viewpoints all aid learning. ๐Ÿ™‚
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
Spray can of white lithium for the ball and WD bars. Wipe clean and recoat every time hitching up.

As far as some subjects that have been thoroughly covered, I like seeing new posts on some things that might have changed. Or from new members. Unless the discussion was held last week or so.

Isn't it about time to have a discussion on Maxxis? I think it's been a coupla months.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
You need to get the darkest grease you, so it will show on your pants when you are not looking. :B

TheGriswolds
Explorer
Explorer
for what it's worth, I always get lots of creaking with my E2 setup, no matter the amount of grease I use.
2011 F-250 Supercrew 4x4
2013 Keystone Cougar 31 SQB

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I get creaking, but that comes from the anti-sway/WD hitch. I pop the bars off, and that goes away. I keep the ball decently greased. Messy, but does the job.

calewjohnson
Explorer
Explorer
4aSong wrote:
2Macs wrote:
I use a small amount of lithium white grease at the beginning of the season only.

X2 for Lithium White Grease

But I clean mine between trips and reapply.

I have surface rust on mine...mainly because it stays on my truck... I will be looking to get a tennis ball and cut open to put on it. Do you think I could just sand the surface rust off, then grease her up real nice??

Thanks,
Cale
TV: 2015 6.7 F350 CC LB 4x4 DRW with 14k GVWR option (4.3 gear), 98 gallon aux tank installed by Transfer Flow
New: 2014 Voltage 3950
Traded: 2014 Outback 323BH
Still Have: 2007 Fleetwood Nitrous 23ft Toy Hauler