cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

hitch ball lube

Bisker
Explorer
Explorer
Never lubed my hitch ball before, but the creaking is driving the DW crazy, what type to use and where do I get it?
32 REPLIES 32

usmohls2
Explorer
Explorer
Left over bacon grease.

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
This topic has been discussed to death. The search tool can be your friend.

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
Slip
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:

X2 or white lithium
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

dave54
Nomad
Nomad
I bring my bike and bike tools with me, including bicycle grease.
So rather than carry a second tube of grease, I just use the bike lube.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Bisker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all, easy fix!

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed. This is what my hitch manufacturer says about lubrication:

"The friction surfaces of the head and sockets should be kept clean and well lubricated with a good quality lubricant. They should be lubricated before each trip."

Same philosophy applies to the ball.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
What type of hitch do you have? Round bar or Trunnion style? If round bar, you should grease the bars where they insert into the hitch head. If trunnion, you should apply some grease or oil on the trunnion ends both top and bottom.

Those points, along with the ball/coupler interface, generate a terrific amount of steel on steel pressure and require grease to keep them from galling, making a lot of noise, and wearing out prematurely. Waxed paper cannot stand up to the pressure and wear generated by those areas.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Light film of grease on the ball, light film on the pivots of the weight distribution bars, and a tiny blob in the saddle of the over-center hooks where the weight distribution chain link connects. Quiet.

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
2Macs wrote:
I use a small amount of lithium white grease at the beginning of the season only.

X2 for Lithium White Grease

But I clean mine between trips and reapply.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
BarneyS wrote:
Good old wheel bearing grease works just as well. One can will last for years! ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney

X2!

No need for a special lube which most likely is more expensive.

A light film of wheel bearing grease works great and a plain old blue shop towel to remove the grease after use works wonders for cleaning off the ball and the shop towel can be tossed out.

Although I tend to store my hitch with the grease on the ball and wrap the ball in a plastic shopping bag. This keeps the ball from gaining any surface rust while not in use.

Pull it out of the bag, wipe off old grease and freshen up with a light layer of new grease. Put shop towel in the greasy bag and discard.

Been doing that for 25+ years.

2Macs
Explorer
Explorer
I use a small amount of lithium white grease at the beginning of the season only.
Ed & Michele :C

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
I'd be interested to hear if lubing the hitch ball solved the creaking. Most likely the hitch is causing the noise although the ball does need lubing as part of normal maintenance.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Mvander
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard you can use wax paper between the ball and coupler but i hav never tried it. Seems it would be cleaner.
55 FEET OF FAMILY FUN!
2014 F150 HD
2015 Grey Wolf 29DSFB