cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holding tanks

Biobug
Explorer
Explorer
we just purchased a 2013 Dutchmen Denali 287re. The control panel shows there is 2 gray tanks yet there is no dump valve for a second tank. I decided to let the gray tank 1 fill completely to see if it begins to fill tank 2. As I expected,it started to back up into the shower. I read that some do have 2 gray tanks as the panel shows.
Why would Dutchmen (Thor) put a panel with 2 gray tanks in a unit that only has one? I have looked everywhere for the valve for tank 2 with no luck.
6 REPLIES 6

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
While use a panel that indicates 2 grey tanks when only one is installed.....

Because it is CHEAPER to use One Panel for all models

CHEAP/Less Inventory
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just because there is a switch, does not mean there is another tank. My non existent 2nd galley tank shows empty when I use the buttons.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
It's not uncommon on longer units. If the kitchen is at the back and the bathroom is at the front, the plumbing to run to one tank is a hassle. Plus, you generally fill more of the gray tank than black tank if you are on a water only site.

But based on the below, you only have 1 gray tank:
https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/denaliliterature112rev313web.pdf

You might try a second experiment. Run the kitchen sink to see if the other tank fills per the panel reading.

Most likely, they use the same control panel for all their models. Our non-slide toy hauler has a position (no switch) listed as "slide out" on the panel.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We have two gray tanks: the bathroom sink and shower are one and the kitchen sink is the second, but we also have two dump valves.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
With water in shower, run some in the other sink. If the level in shower does not rise immediately, start at that sink, and listen to drain water flow. Best not to need to find a full tank to use the sink

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I think that 2 gray tanks is often due to plumbing requirements, like the bathroom and kitchen being located far apart. Is that the case for you? I wouldn't be surprised at all to see an incorrect panel installed in an RV either.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE