cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Host double couch TC

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
Has anybody seen one in person. I'm thinking of ordering one. There is no dealer close to me. Just wanted to hear other thoughts on this one. My wife and I like the pics and video on the Host web site, but it is an 8 hour drive to the dealer and I don't think he has one yet.....Would love to check out the factory but I work full time................If only I didn't have to work.........Bother
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride
39 REPLIES 39

hbski
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like the Everest would be a better floor plan for the double couch. That would give you a long couch across from a TV on the rear side of the shower wall (similar to mammoth). Would then allow a love seat style where the kitchen is and a larger kitchen where the dinette is or the existing kitchen and another long couch where the dinette is.

on edit - add pics:

The original:

DC-1:

DC-2:

of course the TV would have to move to the Mammoth location and possibly some other slight mods and the kitchen could be made bigger wit hthe deletion of the wardrobe next to the frig.....etc, etc, etc
'06 Dodge 3500 4x4 QC LB DRW
Ride-Rites, Hellwig, Torklift Tiedowns, Fast Guns, Superhitch
'07 Okanagan 117DBL

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
AF 1150s seem to be really heavy based on what people have posted here. The Hosts hold a lot of water, so if you fill them up, you are talking about 500 lbs for water. Based on tad94564 about his Mammoth, that is right at 4900 lbs.

Without running over the scale and doing the math, it's mostly just guessing. For sure, none of the big campers are going to be lightweight.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

tad94564
Explorer
Explorer
Pictures are in my Host Mammoth album on Google..

Host Mammoth

tad94564
Explorer
Explorer
The dry weight of my Host Mammoth is 4400lbs (no water, empty, 2 6v batteries, no generator)

I know this because I have the cat scale weight slips for both empty and loaded.

I have not weighed it when fully loaded up.

05btdvw
Explorer
Explorer
zb39 wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
I think the 3500 will be overloaded if you fill all the nooks and crannies. You really need to be looking at the chassis cab models from Ram or Ford for these models. You will most likely only have about 5000 lbs payload available unless you are looking at a base trim standard cab 2wd gasser.

I have the truck in my sig now. On the last trip with 4 adults and all their stuff, full fuel, full water, full food, empty grey and black. We were 13,340 with everybody in truck. We are losing 2 adults and their stuff. Now, I realize the Host is heavier than the AF I have now. So I figure I'm losing 500Lbs from the 2 adults. That gives me 1140lbs more untill I hit 14K. The Host prob weighs about 1200 more than the AF. So I'm not bad, prob a little over. I can go with bags etc, all the usual stuff. Wife and I don't load a ton. We take what we need and thats it. Even 4 of us didn't come close to filling the AF. I'll let the weight police hash this out. I would love a RAM 550 and a cutom bed but cost is crazy. I also tow a 5th wheel at times.

I have been wrong 4 times already this morning but I would be surprised if the Host is 1200 pounds heavier than your AF. Maybe closer to the same weight. Will be curious to see real world weights though.

Bedlam
My 5500 was not that bad for purchase price. I have the base trim with some extras and a steel flat bed instead of custom or utility bed to keep the cost under a higher trim model 3500.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
I think the 3500 will be overloaded if you fill all the nooks and crannies. You really need to be looking at the chassis cab models from Ram or Ford for these models. You will most likely only have about 5000 lbs payload available unless you are looking at a base trim standard cab 2wd gasser.

I have the truck in my sig now. On the last trip with 4 adults and all their stuff, full fuel, full water, full food, empty grey and black. We were 13,340 with everybody in truck. We are losing 2 adults and their stuff. Now, I realize the Host is heavier than the AF I have now. So I figure I'm losing 500Lbs from the 2 adults. That gives me 1140lbs more untill I hit 14K. The Host prob weighs about 1200 more than the AF. So I'm not bad, prob a little over. I can go with bags etc, all the usual stuff. Wife and I don't load a ton. We take what we need and thats it. Even 4 of us didn't come close to filling the AF. I'll let the weight police hash this out. I would love a RAM 550 and a cutom bed but cost is crazy. I also tow a 5th wheel at times.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

Bedlam

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for putting the clicky in. I know it's heavy, it will be going on a 2016 RAM DRW, GVW 14K.

I would love to see this in person .
2017 Host mammoth, sold
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
CAJW wrote:
kerry4951 wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
I'm planning on 5000-6000 lbs by the time the tanks, storage and closets are filled.

Id say you are right on the money. A triple slide TC rated at 3300 +- lbs dry is just wishful thinking, unless they started to use balsa wood.

I agree. My guess is about 4500-4800 dry and would think that Bedlam's guess on loaded is pretty close to reality.

I have a double-slide Eagle Cap, and I'm heavier than that...:o
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

scottz
Explorer
Explorer
I don't doubt the base weight of 3360 a bit. One just needs to understand what base weight includes and doesn't include.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't think all of the slides are in the dry weight. 3360 is weight without options as well.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Bedlam
There are a lot of closets and have you seen the basement storage? The drawer will sleep one adult or two kids - Is that being naughty or nice?

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
kerry4951 wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
I'm planning on 5000-6000 lbs by the time the tanks, storage and closets are filled.

Id say you are right on the money. A triple slide TC rated at 3300 +- lbs dry is just wishful thinking, unless they started to use balsa wood.

I agree. My guess is about 4500-4800 dry and would think that Bedlam's guess on loaded is pretty close to reality.
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:

2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods