cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

House Battery Electrical Issue

fyrmnk
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, have an issue was wanting to get some input on. At the end of last season, I stopped by my camper and had it on house battery. Showed full power on the indicator, but when I turned on the pump, everything went out and had no power. Noted the positive battery cables were loose on the battery. Tightened them down, and still nothing. Noted a blown in-line fuse in the battery cable and put a new fuse in, and still nothing.

Going down this weekend to try to get it in service for the season. Any ideas on what else to look for? Could the loose battery connection have caused something else to blow? Thanks in advance.
2010 Montana Mountaineer 345DBQ 37' 5th Wheel

Previous: 2005 Coachmen Capri Ruby Edition 28' Bumper Pull
9 REPLIES 9

fyrmnk
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, must have. Drove me nuts trying to figure it out before I got a chance to plug it in and try that.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
You probably have an auto reset breaker close to the tongue of your trailer. Look underneath on the frame for a junction box and follow the positive cable backwards.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

fyrmnk
Explorer
Explorer
Just an update, got to my camper and had just below 12V on house battery but only 1/10th of that on the 12V lug in the panel. Had good fuses after replacing the one blown one I found initially, but still no power at all in the camper on system panel or any other 12V items.

Plugged into campground power, then unplugged and everything was working off house battery again. Apparently there's some kind of auto reset breaker on mine that reset due to plugging in momentarily?

fyrmnk
Explorer
Explorer
jake2250 wrote:
Might look to see if there is a fuse near your inverter or converter somewhere inside the trailer where the electrical panel is. I hooked the batteries up wrong once and it blew that fuse,, I was was behind the 12v panel. Mine was a resetable fuse.

Thanks, will look at that as well. Checked all normal fuses in panel with none blown in the fuse block, but will do some more digging there as well if nothing else obvious shows up.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many times rv electrical issues are ground related. I had the main ground rust out on me and that caused all to go dead.
Charge the battery independently from the coach to see if it accepts a charge and for how long. Let it sit for a day or so. Try to test it off the trailer . Hook up a light to it and see how it performs .
You could have it load tested .

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
Might look to see if there is a fuse near your inverter or converter somewhere inside the trailer where the electrical panel is. I hooked the batteries up wrong once and it blew that fuse,, I was was behind the 12v panel. Mine was a resetable fuse.

fyrmnk
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. It is a new battery and was fully charged. Battery was disconnected, I put the cable on when I arrived to use the pump, but the positive was inadvertently left loose. Also hooked jumper cables to it after it happened with no change in camper, no power to anything.

Taking a multi-meter to troubleshoot, just wanted to see if anyone had experienced this or had other ideas. Thanks again.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
By now you probably need a new set of batteries too.....in addition to whatever the original problem is/was.

You should NOT let them sit in a discharged or unknown state over a long period of time like that.

Let's hope that there is also a bad connection at the negative battery post or an intermediate cable. None of that explains the blown fuse though.

At the very least you will need an external battery charger to get them back up to a known condition.

Then you need a multi-meter and some time.......or a professional vehicle electrics mechanic.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Loose battery cable should not cause any damage.
Will need an electrical person to troubleshoot.
Battery might be bad. Never know.
If you were closer I would help you.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios