cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How and were to get the best price on a Truck?

Chuck___
Explorer
Explorer
I have narrowed my choices down to a one ton 3500 dually, 4x4, four door, Ford Lariat or King Ranch diesel or Dodge Laramie/Longhorn diesel. Last week I send out my specifications to several parties trying to get bids for both trucks, for example: to Dave Smith in northern ID, the other Dodge dealer in Caldwell, Id, AAA Oregon AutoSource, and AutoLand an auto Broker. So far, I only got a price from AAA Oregon AutoSource and a local dealer on a Ford. The prices didn’t seem all that great compared to the local dealer.

I am trying make a smart purchase and not to get taken by a dealership. I used to get prices same day from AAA and the auto broker. When shopping back in 1999 for my 2500 Dodge and in 2008 for my son’s truck the prices were far below any dealer period using these services. Maybe I am just get a little impatient for more bids to come in.

It seems that I can find how to get prices for a Dodge, but not so much for a Ford.

I’m not a Ford employee or a friend to be able to get any special prices or plans.

Maybe I missed some postings on this subject also.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Chuck
43 REPLIES 43

thd
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the same town as you. I bought my '13 Ford from Corning Ford in CA. They gave me a smoking deal that the local dealers couldn't come close to. Closest around here was over $5k more than Corning. Did the deal over the phone, and they delivered the truck to Medford for the transaction.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my 2013 F350 I tried all the usual things - just like you. I didn't like the results I was getting so I decided to try the Costco program. They ended up being the cheapest of the bunch. Just understand that you may have to travel a little to get to the dealership they use.

When I ordered the truck, I had a little discussion with the dealership salesman. I asked him why the Costco program got me the best pricing. He said that for all Costco quotes, he has to 'price aggressively'. He was the designated Costco POC at the dealership and he said that most of his business came from the Costco program.

Bedlam
Cummins12V98 wrote:
A good deal is invoice minus incentives. Anything less is icing on the cake.

My Ford came in at invoice and my Ram under invoice before rebates were applied to either and I am happy with those prices. I had no trades or financing that muddied the numbers, so I know this is possible with either make. Both of these were factory ordered, so I would expect even more incentives on existing stock.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Willcamp4
Explorer
Explorer
There are several dealers in the Boise ID area that seem to have good prices. A friend bought his GMC at a great price from Dennis Dillon, I got my Ford from Lithia Ford in Boise, and saw some good prices from Hometown Ford in Weiser, ID.
Willcamp4
2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty, Crew Cab, Lariat, 6.7L PSTD, Air Lift rear suspension.
Alpenlite Valhalla Limited Fifth Wheel, two Solar panels, four six-volt batteries, two Honda EU2000i generators

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
A good deal is invoice minus incentives. Anything less is icing on the cake.

On the RAM be sure to get the AISIN and Factory rear air. Towing under 27-28K combined go with the 3.42's and heavier 4.10's. 3.73's are a waste. Best towing rpm about 1,750 with 4.10 in 6th and 5th with 3.42's. Bonus it under 27-28K is the better solo mileage. The key is the AISIN.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MarineOne
Explorer
Explorer
wcjeep wrote:
Call Dave Smith. Prices right over the phone. Not sure if Oregon residents pay taxes. For those that pay taxes some dealers in low tax districts end up with the best price. Last new Ford we bought was in 2001 from Bowen Scarff no Dicker sticker in Kent.

In Washington State, you must purchase from an in state dealer to qualify for future Lemon Law protection.

+1 for Dave Smith. My last 2 trucks came from them.

Oregon buyers won't pay tax so long as you title/plate in Oregon.

-Kris
2008 Keystone Energy 260FS
2014 Commander 800XT - RacerTech Lift/Shock Relocation

Towed by ....

2008 Dodge Ram 3500 QCLB SRW
H&S Mini Maxx - DPF Friendly Tow Tune
Titan Fuel Tank - 52 gallon
Aero Muffler 4040XL
Nathan AirChime K3LA

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dave Smith is not as cheap as they were 5 years ago, they have gone up. Dillion has beat them consistently in recent years.

Use the Costco auto program to get a "not paying more than this price". It will give you a price point to work with. Most volume dealers will likely beat it.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
2018? Or 2017?

If you are looking to buy a 2017, I would wait another month or so when the 2018 models start coming out and dealers want to clear their remaining inventory of 2017 models. Rebates and markdowns, at least from Ford, are not that great right now. I bought my 2012 F350 King Ranch for $14,000 off sticker in early August of 2012. Last year about this time, similar offers were being made. Local dealers are only advertising $5,000 - $7,500 off sticker right now on higher trim models.

If you are wanting a 2018, you will not get nearly as good a deal any time soon. Shop dealer's web sites to get an idea of current special pricing.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis Dillon was the cheapest when I bought two years ago, about $4000 less than Dave Smith. Second best deal I found was Larry Miller in Boise, they were only about $1500 higher than Dillon.

Prices have gone up considerably across the board in the last two years, though.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

stufarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Brandon Ford, Brandon Florida. They are the Largest F150 in the world, plus they have hundreds of Super Duty's in stock. I don't need to go anywhere else. I buy a new Truck every 1-3 yrs. They always have what I want, Loaded .. Loaded, in stock in one of the 3 colors I always want.

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
Dave Smith seems to be one of the cheapest dealerships for Ram. If you don't mind a drive, check out Vernon Auto Group in Texas, they sell all 3 brands and have good pricing.

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
A member here on RV.net hooked me up with a Friends and Family PIN number. It was great. Price was just under invoice, I got all my rebates, and the DOC fee was limited to $100 instead of their usual $599.

Now that you've posted this, you'll probably get an offer or two from some Ford employees here. I actually had two offers.

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Call Dave Smith. Prices right over the phone. Not sure if Oregon residents pay taxes. For those that pay taxes some dealers in low tax districts end up with the best price. Last new Ford we bought was in 2001 from Bowen Scarff no Dicker sticker in Kent.

In Washington State, you must purchase from an in state dealer to qualify for future Lemon Law protection.

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Dave Smith is usually close to the lowest. There is another ram dealership in the same area of Idaho that competes. I forget the name. Just my opinion, but don't bother shopping for a Ford. Haha.
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204