cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How bad is it really? TC on a Ram 2500 w/coils.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Probably opening up a rvnet can of worms here, but whatever.
I’ve heard and I believe that it is certainly less than ideal handling on a Ram 2500 with coil springs. And a short bed to boot. Makes sense. Springs are way inboard of the frame rails….
That said I know what a 4000lb camper is like on a short bed 3/4 ton with leaf springs. And put a lot of miles on them rockin and rollin down the road. Never bothersome, you just need to mind your speed in the corners…lol.
Has anyone got any firsthand experience with anything from a small popup, up to a full size newer 8-9’ hard side camper on a 2014 or newer 3/4 ton Ram?
Truck has bags already, could get a bigger sway bar. Or could get heavier coils. One or both are relatively cheap upgrades.
Kinda wanna get a TC again and stick it on the ole brodozer for Snomo-camping this year.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold
14 REPLIES 14

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Thank you for chiming in.
So a midsize hard shell is totally doable.
That’s great info to know.

kirkl
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Probably opening up a rvnet can of worms here, but whatever.
I’ve heard and I believe that it is certainly less than ideal handling on a Ram 2500 with coil springs. And a short bed to boot. Makes sense. Springs are way inboard of the frame rails….
That said I know what a 4000lb camper is like on a short bed 3/4 ton with leaf springs. And put a lot of miles on them rockin and rollin down the road. Never bothersome, you just need to mind your speed in the corners…lol.
Has anyone got any firsthand experience with anything from a small popup, up to a full size newer 8-9’ hard side camper on a 2014 or newer 3/4 ton Ram?
Truck has bags already, could get a bigger sway bar. Or could get heavier coils. One or both are relatively cheap upgrades.
Kinda wanna get a TC again and stick it on the ole brodozer for Snomo-camping this year.

I have an adventurer 8ft camper on my 2500 with coil springs. I had to add air bags to take the side to side rocking which is really bad without the airbags. No issues with the bags pumped up.
2017 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 4x4 LB
2018 Wildcat Maxx 28RKX
2014 Adventurer 80RB

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Get the best shocks money can buy ! KYB or Bilstein

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Well the sweetheart deal on a little too heavy for coils camper, that spawned this thread, fell through. Guy was obviously too cheap on price because I called on day 2 and he had a list of numbers he was making appointments to see the camper (because he advertised it when he was not home for a week….) I’m sure he won’t be calling me.
This thread can die.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
shelbyfv wrote:
Not spam. :h Lots of build threads and discussion about campers on all sorts of trucks. Pretty sure the Ram coils have been mentioned a time or two. It's more of a hands on forum and you won't see 5th wheels or 30' trailers.

I’ll check it out. Thank you.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
No no no no no... You of all people should know that if you put any sort of load in a pickup with coil springs that it is instantly going to flop over on its top, catch fire, and explode, wiping out a square mile of the nearest civilization even if you're 1000 miles from nowhere.

I knew that would happen if you tried to tow more than a little red wagon with a 1/2ton. Didn't know coil spring 3/4 tons also would explode and kill everyone for miles.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
Not spam. :h Lots of build threads and discussion about campers on all sorts of trucks. Pretty sure the Ram coils have been mentioned a time or two. It's more of a hands on forum and you won't see 5th wheels or 30' trailers.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
shelbyfv wrote:
Check out Expedition Portal

Can you be more specific or is this just spam?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thx guys. Better off getting a leaf spring truck.
Time to find one I suppose, if I want a tc.

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Expedition Portal

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would put in a Roadmaster rear swaybar, Timbren double convolute kit and Bilstein shocks.

Bedlam
Dropping in a stiff stabilizer bar and something like Timbrens or Sumo Springs instead of bags will make the ride better but still will not be as good as your wider stance leaf springs that were in your older truck.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Only a DRW will work. Joking.

My guess is the 6" lift will impact the handling more than the coils. I'm sure you've seen other Rams in the NW with TCs. My guess is a good number of them have the coil suspension. Maybe not ideal but should work.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
No no no no no... You of all people should know that if you put any sort of load in a pickup with coil springs that it is instantly going to flop over on its top, catch fire, and explode, wiping out a square mile of the nearest civilization even if you're 1000 miles from nowhere.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.