cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you feel about people walking through your campsite?

Ruthless
Explorer
Explorer
166 REPLIES 166

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
It pisses me off.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
It is obviously generally impolite to cross someone else's site, but there are some exceptions. We often stay in waterfront sites where the waterfront itself - whether stated in campground rules, or obvious by use - is common area for all to enjoy. Often, there are spaces left for walkways between certain sites for access to the waterfront, but sometimes not. At those parks, there is not way to get there except through someone's site. In those cases you just have to be as polite and non-disruptive as you can ..... and sometimes kids will be pretty excited when heading to the waterfront!
Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel

gme3470
Explorer
Explorer
Test
2022 F350
Nash 25C

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jetta03 wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
moresmoke wrote:
Say Hi, and strike up a conversation. That never ends. Yes i am that wierd creepy person everyone avoids!:B
Now that would be fun, make it a very uncomfortable conversation. You know stand to close, talk about inappropriate topics, you could have some real fun with this. Not only would they avoid your campsite, they would avoid your side of the campground. Sounds like a win win situation. :B

That's awesome, provided they speak english ๐Ÿ™‚
We had a group that came into several campsites all around ours, must've have been about a half dozen mini-vans full of people and gear. They happily went through our site, set their stuff on our picnic table, kids were trying to ride our bikes, tore down our hammocks, etc. No boundaries at all. I tried in vain to explain to them that we weren't part of the attractions here. Luckily we were leaving the next morning.
I guess we all are very lucky to have wheels and not a permanent residence next to some people.

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
I have camped since I was 4 or 5 years old. My parents taught me to respect other peoples space and never cut through someones camp. Now that I'm in my 30's and have kids of my own, I teach my kids the same.
I camp to get away from it all, and enjoy the peace and quiet.

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:
The whole point is this simply can't be a flat rule.

Well, unless there is a public path to go between the sites, it simply IS a flat rule. I'm guessing the water front sites are quite a it more expensive that the sites that require a 5 minute walk...?

Actually it is a flat rule and a written rule in many campgrounds.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
This seems to be not specifically a camping issue but a society issue in general - unfortunately. And maybe the norm for particular geographical areas. I grew up in So CA and houses were very close together and yards small. You just did NOT cut through neighbor's yards - stay on the sidewalk or their walkway to the door. DH grew up in a small town in KS with no fences, larger yards and everyone took the shortest route. I thought he was strange and he thought I was strange. As he got older and we had "our own yard", he's changed to the thought that staying out of others' space unless invited in is the better way.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

bluie5
Explorer
Explorer
It is rude and unacceptable. I have taught my kids from day 1 of camping that you do not cut through people's sites. I want to enjoy my little piece of happiness without someone intruding on it.
2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC PSD SRW 4x4
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHOK

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
I hate it.I noticed it happining about 25 yrs ago.I do not know if its rudeness or uneducated stupidity.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
As long as they pass through without drawing excessive attention, pick nothing up, don't touch my stuff, and as long as they or their pets don't leave anything I really do not care.

Jetta03
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
moresmoke wrote:
Say Hi, and strike up a conversation. That never ends. Yes i am that wierd creepy person everyone avoids!:B
Now that would be fun, make it a very uncomfortable conversation. You know stand to close, talk about inappropriate topics, you could have some real fun with this. Not only would they avoid your campsite, they would avoid your side of the campground. Sounds like a win win situation. :B

That's awesome, provided they speak english ๐Ÿ™‚
We had a group that came into several campsites all around ours, must've have been about a half dozen mini-vans full of people and gear. They happily went through our site, set their stuff on our picnic table, kids were trying to ride our bikes, tore down our hammocks, etc. No boundaries at all. I tried in vain to explain to them that we weren't part of the attractions here. Luckily we were leaving the next morning.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ruthless wrote:

Very, very, rarely happens so I never think about it. Has happened maybe 2-3 times in 11 years.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Dadio24
Explorer
Explorer
Have an extra chair handy and invite them to stop and enjoy your spot...or ask them where they camp so you can say hello while walking thru their spot. People can be so disrespectful...

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
moresmoke wrote:

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I full time and have seen it all.

Because I have dogs when someone cuts thru my site they bark, and guess who is going to be in trouble with CG owners? Hmmm barking dogs or person cutting thru site?. You all know the answer to that one.

So now I just make sure I park my toad in such a manner to prevent cut thru's and place lawn chairs accordingly. Do it without even thinking about now. Been working for us for years now.

The inconsiderate ones do tend to take the past of least resistance.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.