cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you get a a canoe on your truck?

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I already have a cartop carrier that will fit on my Toyota Tundra, but I can't see a practcal way to get a 17 foot 75 pound Grumman Standard canoe up there, I'm only 5' 10" and my wife is even shorter; the cab roof is considearably higher. Any suggestions to easily and safely get the job done?
22 REPLIES 22

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
I have struggled with that one until recently. I have Yakima 78" bars on the cab and an 80 lb 16 foot canoe. I always tried to center the canoe on the bars from front or back and end up beating up the hood or the top of the cab, plus being in a strain. I recently discovered that if I "portage" the canoe up to the rear of the truck slightly off to the side, I can slide the bow of the canoe onto the part of the rear rack that extends past the side of the cab. Then I set the stern down on the ground, with the canoe touching the side of the truck bed. Then I walk around to the stern, pick it up, and walk up the "old man steps" while sliding the canoe forward onto both bars.
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow

PapaJim
Explorer
Explorer
Look into Malone Roof Racks. Works for us.

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see the problem. If it's a canoe you have had to portage, even if it's just from the parking lot to the water. Instead of leaning against a tree branch, lean it on the roof rack and push. It would help if there was some sort of roller. You will need a 3stepper to tie down, though.

I have a boatloader for the tinny, but when I take one of the canoes, that is how it gets up there. Mind you, when I bought the freighter, I got a Kelvar 60#.The salesman asked "How else can you feel 20years younger?"
Adventure before dementia

forthefunofit94
Explorer
Explorer
Get a Hullavator by Thule. It is a piston assist system that you load on the side of your truck and lift with one hand to get on your roof. Works like a charm. After my stroke, I got this for my kayaks.
David & Karen Castellon
2015 F150 XLT
302 w/tow & anti-sway package
Backup camera & brake controller
EQUAL-I-ZER hitch

dave54
Nomad
Nomad
Mine is 16' 60 lbs.

I have a Yakima rack.

I can put it up and take it down myself, but is a real struggle. DW helping makes a lot easier.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
#1nobby,
How much flat area do you have on the back of the Tango? Is there a ladder back there?
There are a few on the Forum that have used the back of the trailer for rackage.

The back is ALL flat....no windows or anything...including a ladder.

But my canoe is heavy and 16 ft. long.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
lakeside013104 wrote:
camp-n-family wrote:
I had a generic rack on my Tundra (one at each end of bed) and was always able to mount the canoe myself. Actually found it easier to do with one person. I would lift one end of the canoe up and walk it up until the end sat on the rear rack, other end of canoe stayed on the ground. Then I would lift the other end and push it to slide it on enough that the far end of the canoe was over the front rack. Then I could get in the bed and slide it around as needed.

I use the same rack and method for my even taller Ram.

This method works for me. Have loaded canoes on my truck this way for years. One of my canoes was a homemade 20' cedar strip that weighed just over 100 pounds. Lifting one end at a time is manageable and easy enough to control even in slightly windy conditions.

Lakeside

+2 on this method. It works for me to get a 16' Royalex canoe on my F150 w/ Yakima Outdoorsman racks.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
camp-n-family wrote:
I had a generic rack on my Tundra (one at each end of bed) and was always able to mount the canoe myself. Actually found it easier to do with one person. I would lift one end of the canoe up and walk it up until the end sat on the rear rack, other end of canoe stayed on the ground. Then I would lift the other end and push it to slide it on enough that the far end of the canoe was over the front rack. Then I could get in the bed and slide it around as needed.

This method works for me. Have loaded canoes on my truck this way for years. One of my canoes was a homemade 20' cedar strip that weighed just over 100 pounds. Lifting one end at a time is manageable and easy enough to control even in slightly windy conditions.

Lakeside

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Used to put a 200 pound 14 foot aluminum boat onto the top of a Suburban by leaning the bow of it on the rear rack and pushing. I'm only 5'5" so I needed to climb on a milk crate to deal with tie downs. Spacing of roof racks, location of rear rack are critical if you want to do one man loading.

Kind of how campnfamily describes it, though I had to do it all from rear and sides of vehicle, no bed to climb into.

But that was almost 50 years ago, don't do that stuff today, though I'm pretty sure I could still get your canoe onto racks on the top of my van.

Somebody used to make a swinging arm device for a trailer ball to load boats to the racks atop a vehicle. I bet somebody still does.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

westend
Explorer
Explorer
#1nobby,
How much flat area do you have on the back of the Tango? Is there a ladder back there?
There are a few on the Forum that have used the back of the trailer for rackage.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
Timely thread.

I want to put my 90lb cedar / canvas canoe onto the roof of my RAM.

I'm thinking a Thule roof rack for the crew cab and then I'm going to "portage" the canoe into the box, using a 2 step ladder to get up and in, and then slide it onto the rack.

Sounds great, eh?

I'm sure it will be a disaster after I pay $400 for the rack. ๐Ÿ™‚

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 17' Old Town which is darn heavy. It goes on the roof of our F350, yakima rack at the back of the cab and a T/ goal post off the front hitch. My DW and I flip it over, set on end over the side of the bed. Wife get in the truck and lifts to roof height wile I lift the other end over my head and walk it around to set down on the T rack. Secure with straps, done. We also carry 3 or 4 bikes on a pin box mounted bike rack on the 5ver. Canoe tail clears the bikes by about 8-10". It all fits, but now I need to add a kayak to the mix. We sure look interesting going down the road! Did I mention the canoe is bright red?
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Seamutt
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Innova inflatables, very tough, easy set up and take down and easy to store. I have the Sunny and have great fun with it.